My new 120 upgrade

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Well, let's see - I have a pair of ReefMax 10k bulbs, a pair of Reeflux 10k bulbs and a pair of Reeflux 12k bulbs. So far I'm leaning towards the Reeflux 12k bulbs. They are nice bright white with a good tint of blue that make stuff pop. Nice bulbs and priced well.

Cool. I may get some 14k's to see what they look like. I love the 20k's but I don't really have anything to compare them to to say whether I really love them or not, so we'll see how it goes...:)

and i've never used the XM 20k's so can't really compare them to anything. I've used the XM 15k's and they were pitiful. They had a decent color but they were so dim even on an HQI ballast. I tried the Hamilton 14k's and they were ok but didn't really like their brightness either and I did not have good growth under them. So far I really like the brightness and the color of the Reeflux 12k's but can't guage growth yet and won't be able to for a few months. I've tried other bulbs as well but can't recall which ones.....bad memory.

here is a picture of my current 55 gallon tank with the reeflux 12k bulbs on them fired by an icecap ballast.

P5190001.jpg

Now the moment we've been waiting for...

I really love these reflectors. 98% of the light is directed down into the tank instead of being wasted in the hood. Really nice..

firedup.jpg

Last edited:
and yes i know the acrylic is dusty. i was waiting for some cleaner to arrive before i cleaned the dust off. i don't want any scratches! :)

Hey Matt did you say you have glass covers for the reflectors? I didn't know they came with glass shields? I thought it wouldn't be necessary & would trap heat? It is good to know that they cover your tank well & focus the light into the tank, think it would be worth getting the bigger reflectors now that you see these; does two of these covers your 4 foot tank very well?

Scooterman said:
Hey Matt did you say you have glass covers for the reflectors? I didn't know they came with glass shields? I thought it wouldn't be necessary & would trap heat? It is good to know that they cover your tank well & focus the light into the tank, think it would be worth getting the bigger reflectors now that you see these; does two of these covers your 4 foot tank very well?
Scooty
I believe Matt's new tank is 5'. Looks pretty good if there is only 2 reflectors.
Scott

Yeah, I went ahead and got the glass for the mini's. I did this to keep water from splashing up and burtsting the bulbs and/or getting the reflectors dirty. :) I'm going to have a 105 cfm fan in the canopy so heat should not be an issue.

My tank is 60" long and I am just using 2 of the mini's. So far I don't see any dead spots and the lighting seems adequate from end to end. I am quite pleased with the coverage.

Tomorrow I am going to put in the starboard and start filling it. Live rock should be ready in a few days.

Scooterman said:

Yeah, the new tank is 60" long and the coverage is perfect with only 2 reflectors. I was afraid I was going to have to had a third halide and so far I don't think so.

szidls said:
I believe Matt's new tank is 5'. Looks pretty good if there is only 2 reflectors.
Scott

Couple of questions, how high is the bottom of the reflector off the water? With glass covers I bet the reflectors get really hot? How are the reflectors mounted, did you just screw them to the hood?

the bottom of the reflector is about 8" off the top of the water. and yes, the reflectors are just screwed to the hood. why - what are you thinking?

I love the color! Nice and crisp! I guess the real moment of truth will be when the water gets in, but no doubt it will look even better:)

standing them off enough to install a fan & suck the heat straight up through the top of the hood like Krishes but that just just a thought don't know how well it would work.

Back