My "new" Aquapod 24 with 150w HQI lighting

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mattseattle

So I couldn't get out of the hobby all together so I bought an Aquapod 24. I changed out the stock lighting and the stock pumps and added a set of loc-line to increase the flow. I also put an aquaclear filter on the back to create a mini refugium out of. It's working out really well.

Yesterday I added 2 Golden striped Maroon's (Thanks Elmo) as well as a Rose bubble anemone (Thanks class clown). Within 5 seconds the female clown was in the anemone and has been there ever since. They are one of the best looking sets of GSM's I've ever seen. So far they are not named! :)

Here is a picture of just the pod and the live rock. It's aquascaped into a crescent type shape although the photo doesn't show that.

aquapodfullshot.jpg

Showing the full tank now with the male/female GSM's and their new rose bubble.

fullshot.jpg

Close-up of the GSM's.

malefemale.jpg

Close-up of the female.

femaleclown.jpg

Enjoy!

Nice Matt! It really is a good thing that I have too many clowns already....or I would have kept those... :badgrin: Not all credit goes to me, as Susie (Tangee) stayed up all night watching and acclimating them for hours, not to mention transportation of them to Seattle!

From my guesstimate, they are as follows, wild-caught from Sumatra, the male given his nice full yellow stripes is probably around 3 years, probably slightly older.

The female also with that golden coloration on the stripes is about the same age, 3-4 years.

Maybe I should do an age progression photoshoot set on GSM clownfishes. I have some i've had for about 7 years, a pair i've had for 3 years, and CHuck's (MntDewMan's) pair for a month or so. The older two pairs of the three are spawning regularly every 2 weeks. The latter pair is still too small to spawn.

If you need more clowns...you know where to find me. Nice tank shots!

Best,
Ilham

Last edited:
Looks great Matt! Neat setup!!! Keep us updated with how things progress with the tank as well as some photos of your DIY fuge sometime:)

i like those clowns..if i get anything other than tangs, those are the fish i am getting

Well then I should thank Tangee as well for my beautiful new GSM's.

I think an age progression photo shoot of GSM's would be very helpful. I would definitely be interested in it.

I would not have guessed the male was 3 years old...

-Matt
Nice Matt! It really is a good thing that I have too many clowns already....or I would have kept those... :badgrin: Not all credit goes to me, as Susie (Tangee) stayed up all night watching and acclimating them for hours, not to mention transportation of them to Seattle!

From my guesstimate, they are as follows, wild-caught from Sumatra, the male given his nice full yellow stripes is probably around 3 years, probably slightly older.

The female also with that golden coloration on the stripes is about the same age, 3-4 years.

Maybe I should do an age progression photoshoot set on GSM clownfishes. I have some i've had for about 7 years, a pair i've had for 3 years, and CHuck's (MntDewMan's) pair for a month or so. The older two pairs of the three are spawning regularly every 2 weeks. The latter pair is still too small to spawn.

If you need more clowns...you know where to find me. Nice tank shots!

Best,
Ilham

Very cool, doesnt have to be huge to be cool.

Goodluck with the new project
Don

That is true. From opening the box to modding it to aquascaping it to adding water was just under an hour. I put in an 1 1/8" bulkhead to accomodate the maxi-jet 900 and the 2 loc-line nozzles. I also changed out the stock pump they give you with another maxi-jet 900. I also got rid of the bio-balls and all and put a little live rock in the back. I am planning on adding a Tunze DOC nano skimmer on Tuesday. It's a fun little project and very easy to manage. I can do a water change in a matter of minute with only one bucket! :)

Wow Matt- those GSMs are super cool looking - when you were describing the color on them, I didn't think they would/could be that bright!!! I don't think I've ever seen any like those. Nice find.

I see you went with a sand bed this time around -it looks good, but out of curiuosity, why did you decide to go with a sand bed?

Glad the rose is working out for you too :)

i like those clowns..if i get anything other than tangs, those are the fish i am getting

I've always been a clown fan and have always wanted a set of GSM's. Instead of getting GSM's when I first set up my 55 gallon almost 4 years ago I went with a pair of Oscelaris. I'm glad I finally have the GSM's and they are stunning.

I'm also a tang fan but no tangs in this tank. :)

Wow Matt- those GSMs are super cool looking - when you were describing the color on them, I didn't think they would/could be that bright!!! I don't think I've ever seen any like those. Nice find.

I see you went with a sand bed this time around -it looks good, but out of curiuosity, why did you decide to go with a sand bed?

Glad the rose is working out for you too :)

I've always liked the look of a sand bed but on my previous SPS tank I didn't go with sand due to the high flow and maintenance. On the aquapod if the sand bed doesn't work out I can just turn the tank upside down and dump it in the trash. :) Also, I wanted to give the female clown something to throw at people. :)

and yeah the GSM's are beautiful and like you said I've never seen any this color either.

Looks great Matt! Neat setup!!! Keep us updated with how things progress with the tank as well as some photos of your DIY fuge sometime:)

I will..... it's just an aquaclear hang on the back filter with the media removed. It gives you a little extra area and water volume on the tank instead of just depending on the built in sump area on the back of the aquapod.

They look quite happy! I'm glad they've transitioned so well. I always become a bit attached to fish that pass through my house, even for just a few days.

Very nice Nano!

Susie :)

Tank looks Great Matt!
where did you get those GSM's I never seen them look like that before...

Matt

Back