My tank has arrived

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

MINIATUS

After about 18 months of planning and buying I finally have My 90 gal up and running. Ive converted from all VHOs to a mix of Halides and Vhos. Lights are XM 250 watt 10k lamps driven by 2 Electronic ballast by Ice Cap. URI Actinics driven by a electronic VHO ballast.
Circulation has 2-Tunze streams 6060(1600GPH) each and 800GPH on the return pump. Skimmer is a Turboflotor with a Ocean runner pump.
I also invested in a Calcium reactor, K2R with a blueline CO2tank and controller.
I got 120 lbs of LR all new as I had enough of the old rock.

Readings so far are PH of 80.2 and temp of 82.9. I figured I let the rock settle and do a Calcium and Alk test tomorrow.

Plans are for a SPSs dominanted reef with a few of My favorite LPSs. Clams will come later after the tank establishes a lot more.
Any Critiquing would be greatly appreciated.

MINIATUS

Picture077Medium.jpg

Picture078Medium.jpg

Picture081Medium.jpg

Picture060Medium2.jpg

Wooohooo!!! Feels like Christmas!! Congrats Miniatus! It looks really good and I know your patience will pay off for you. Can't wait to see your progress...I know it will be awesome!

looking good. I better go downstairs and check to see if my stuff is still there :lol: . I have 90 gal, same bulbs, same ballasts, same reactor, and vhos and ballast. Wow freaky.

Kensn said:
looking good. I better go downstairs and check to see if my stuff is still there :lol: . I have 90 gal, same bulbs, same ballasts, same reactor, and vhos and ballast. Wow freaky.

I plead innocent if Its not there. I got a question for ya. When did you start the reactor up. Before or after you added the corals.

MIN :cool:

looking good. I better go downstairs and check to see if my stuff is still there . I have 90 gal, same bulbs, same ballasts, same reactor, and vhos and ballast. Wow freaky.

(LOL) Well then Ken, if Miniatus gets the tank to look like yours (or half as good) he would have accomplished much! I'm sure it will be awsome cause I'm already liking the rockwork.

I would like to add that the calcium reactor wont probably be needed untill you get some thing in there depleting the calcium. I just fired mine up a few days ago, and on the recomened initial settings, it took me up to perfect levels in 2 days, then I had to cut the co2 down slightly, and 1/2 the effluent rate.

Get the rocks away from the sides now before you add anything Make sure you can move your hand all around the sides without touching the rock so that the water flow is not stopped anywhere. Oh and everything else looks good very nice :)

MINIATUS said:
I plead innocent if Its not there. I got a question for ya. When did you start the reactor up. Before or after you added the corals.

MIN :cool:

I had my tank up for 18 months before starting up the reactor, was dripping Kalk for that time, but always struggles with keeping the levels up. My calcium was 350 -375, ank alk was low. With that and the fact I was getting more and more sps frags I bought the reactor. I guess you could put it to work after you put in some calcium demanding items, but if you start it up before I believe your levels would just go to high without the demand.

Woohoo! Congrats Min!!! You did a great job!

I agree, try and make sure your rock isn't too close to any of the sides. At least the distance for the magnet to pass through. As for the Ca Reactor, I agree with what's been said, wait until you have livestock using the calcium before you turn it on. Boomer just added a Ca Reactor Set-up calculator, you might want to check it out. I also added it to the Resource Library under calculators. Let me know if you can't find it.

Yes I have already put that calculator to good use. You should check it out now so you may track the items that you will need to fill in the values of the calculator.

Kudos to everyone who has taken the time to do all that. Got it bookmarked.

MINIATUS :D

Just an update
I wasnt happy with My lights so I decided to go with Pendants, Icecap pendants and 14k Phoenix DE bulbs. Most of this stemmed from my other lights being right inside the canopy thus causing a heat issue. No My lights are about 4 inchs higher, fans have a straight path instead of hitting the lights and not circulating right.
Just a few pics.

MINIATUS

Picture021.jpg

Picture031.jpg

Picture028.jpg

Picture027.jpg

Picture029.jpg

Picture026.jpg

Very nice miniatus. I like your whole setup and I think you are the first person I've ever seen with their lights above their canopy. I think it's a cool idea.

Im finding the tank is as bright with the pendants at 12 inchs as the XMs where at 8 inchs.Also the fans are able to cool the insides better.

MINIATUS :)

Min - looks great!!! You should feel very good about this tank. It's about time we see some stuff in it!!!! :D Good work!

WOW nice Min. I know you put a lot into this tank & it is showing off very well, in time it will be just awesome with life!

Do those Icecap pendants need a seperate Ballast? Or is it included in the fixture? I am leaning towards a set of those myself. Besides they seem to be in my price range to.

Back