need wood advice!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

1guydude

So i recently got a 100g 5' long tank and i was wondering if 4 4x4s at the corners would be suffice... also any framing tips or easy covering and staing would be great too! Im no wood worker and i dont have the $300-$500 my wood guy would want to do it right now... thinking i can diy it cuz it'll b behind a couch hoefully :) LOL Ive got the sump and lighting just need this beast done lol. If its safer or smarted dont b afraid to tell me to save up.Thxs-d

I would use 2 x 4's over the 4 x 4's.
It's easier IMO to cut, nail and just work with the 2 x 4's.
For strenght, double up the 2 x 4's.

There are some real carpenters around here, so hopefully they will add some good advice soon.

+1 with 4 x 4 not needed at corners:) I have seen many dozens of stand builds on other forums like RC, i would find one you like and copy. Pictures are easier for me to follow than words and you don't need to be a memeber to view most of the time.

Good Luck!

4X4s will work just fine for the corner upright posts. Do Not use them for any horizontal supports ( they will twist). I would NOT span 5' between the post with no joist. If you want to have a full opening from post to post you can double up some 2x8s front and back.
Most importantly you need to make sure your stand cannot rack.

I did my 240 stand with 2 x 4's, with 3/4 plywood as a skin. IMO double 2 x 8's would be overkill
I did put a center brace, but added a door on the end that gives full lenght access to the inside.

Thxs for the link mwminer... color coded just how i like it.

@peppie did u mean crack and not rack?

So spaning 5' is not so smart. Does it matter if i only brace it in the front of the stand and not the back so its open to a sump...? I was thinking something simple with 4x4s at the corners and 2x6s for the top... also 2x4s for the side framing and such...

Thxs for the input and feedback its much appreciated.

wat about a stand made of steal...? Paint it black? It would b behind a couch anyways. Research i need to do.

You could but wood is easier to work with. With basic hand tools it can be built by almost everyone

wat about a stand made of steal...? Paint it black? It would b behind a couch anyways. Research i need to do.

I love my steel stand, all the strength without the bulk! Plus my two center legs are just bolted in and can be taken out to get the sump out if needed. I painted mine with truck bed liner material, 5+ years and no rust or corrosion.

Back