New 11.4 Gallon Nano Build planning stages..

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Ichthys

Greetings, well I found a corner of the house that has no tank as yet, so am planning on a new build. This will be a different direction for me, going nano. I would appreciate any comments or input.
Tank - Mr. Aqua 11.4 Rimless
Drilled with oversized overflow kit from gl*******s.com the 700gph one.
10 gallon sump with Danner Mag 7 return.
Lighting - Innovative Marine 8 Watt 14000K Skkye Light Clamp LED Light

I need a suggestion for a skimmer. I want an In-Sump model, preferably cone. was thinking about a Bubble Magus BM-NAC3.5 Cone

Bioload will be mixed reef with 1 fish.

Comments or suggestions?

That is a huge amount of flow for such a small tank. Why so much??
One of the things I have taken away from my experience with larger tanks is that i hate power heads. I have had Koralias the old and new kind, Vortechs, you name it, I have tried most other than the Tunze ones and they ALL develop issues, even with regular cleaning and maintenance. Noise, vibration, taking up real estate in DT, I have grown to hate power heads. I want all the flow requirements of future tanks to be handled with closed loops, and in this case, just the return from a sump run through a SCWD and plumbed to 2 bulkheaded loc lines. I am not set on the Mag 7, I need to play with some of my existing pumps in a 10 gal to see what type of flow is necassary, if i can get away with a mag 5 or even smaller, then great. Actually after thinking about this more, I am guessing 200 - 300 gph would be more than enough.
The overflow is only 5 inch wide by 4 1/2 inch tall by an inch or so . 12363242879501737277416.jpg

One of the things I have taken away from my experience with larger tanks is that i hate power heads. I have had Koralias the old and new kind, Vortechs, you name it, I have tried most other than the Tunze ones and they ALL develop issues, even with regular cleaning and maintenance. Noise, vibration, taking up real estate in DT, I have grown to hate power heads. I want all the flow requirements of future tanks to be handled with closed loops, and in this case, just the return from a sump run through a SCWD and plumbed to 2 bulkheaded loc lines. I am not set on the Mag 7, I need to play with some of my existing pumps in a 10 gal to see what type of flow is necassary, if i can get away with a mag 5 or even smaller, then
great. Actually after thinking about this more, I am guessing 200 - 300 gph would be more than enough.
The overflow is only 5 inch wide by 4 1/2 inch tall by an inch or so . View attachment 43331

That's for the 300 gph one I just bought it. The one you mentioned (700gph) is a bit bigger...good thing it's not that wide though only
2" :)

That's for the 300 gph one I just bought it. The one you mentioned (700gph) is a bit bigger...good thing it's not that wide though only
2" :)
So if the 300gph nano one is 5x4.5x2 and the 700 GPH is ony 6x6.5x2 thats only 1 inch wider and 1 inch taller, might it not make sense to go with the larger to have some built in safety tolerance?

So if the 300gph nano one is 5x4.5x2 and the 700 GPH is ony 6x6.5x2 thats only 1 inch wider and 1 inch taller, might it not make sense to go with the larger to have some built in safety tolerance?

I like the insurance idea,
I totally understand the powerhead issue. IMO the are down right ugly and look out of place. I think 700gph is to much but the 300-400gph seems much better. An additional 300gph closed loop would also be a pluse IMO I use a Quite-One 1200 @ 300gph for my closed loop and I cant hear it. The main reason I run it is to get to dead spots.
Dont forget the pics!!!

I get what you're trying to accomplish but that's way too much flow for such a small tank. Not to mention that much flow through your sump. You will end up having to dial it down a bunch probably in the 200-300 gph range. I had about 300-350 gph running through my 40b and I couldn't do much more. Just my opinion, I hope you're able to get the right amount of flow with no dead spots for your tank. :)

for gods sake people, put the damn powerhead behind the freakin rockwork!!!!!!!!!!
and of course, the one powerhead you havent tried is the one you should have tried...lulz
i stand by tunze powerheads whole heartedly, it only takes one, and where do you put it???
behind the rockwork.

and if you just have to use a completely oversized return pump,
then for gods sake dont use a freakin crappy mag...
get an eheim or bubble blaster or sicce syncra for a return pump.

so in my 20g, theres one tunze 6045(1200gph) and the bish is not visible from the front of the display at all.
20gnano251.jpg

also that 8 watt skyy light is just about worthless for anything other that fish only or maybe fresh water planted...
seriously look at getting/building something different.

and for skimmer get this instead of bubble magus 3.5:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Factory-dir...271?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item589424617f

Last edited:
for gods sake people, put the damn powerhead behind the freakin rockwork!!!!!!!!!!
and of course, the one powerhead you havent tried is the one you should have tried...lulz
i stand by tunze powerheads whole heartedly, it only takes one, and where do you put it???
behind the rockwork.

and if you just have to use a completely oversized return pump,
then for gods sake dont use a freakin crappy mag...
get an eheim or bubble blaster or sicce syncra for a return pump.

so in my 20g, theres one tunze 6045(1200gph) and the bish is not visible from the front of the display at all.
20gnano251.jpg

also that 8 watt skyy light is just about worthless for anything other that fish only or maybe fresh water planted...
seriously look at getting/building something different.

and for skimmer get this instead of bubble magus 3.5:
Factory direct sale 65 Gallon Protein Skimmer SCA-301 | eBay

Skimmy, You really shouldnt sugar coat it. Please let us know how you really feel about the OPs intended setup. LOL
Very good points.

Skimmy, You really shouldnt sugar coat it. Please let us know how you really feel about the OPs intended setup. LOL
Very good points.

After reading Skimmys reply I have switched, am getting a lava lamp with plastic clown fish and a bottle of vodka.. lol

Actually he made good points, Skimmy any suggestions on better lighting for the nano? Keeping in mind a Radion is a bit out of my price range.. have been looking at Rapidled website for DIY builds,

I agree on the light. In fact, if you are dead set on it, don't buy it. I have one that I replaced with a PAR38. There is enough light to grow soft corals comfortably on the top 1/3 of the middle of the tank:)
I prefer to light my tank and grow corals where ever I want to:)

you could light that tank with a par38 led, not a cheesy wholesale one, but look at rapid's new par38 led bulb

The Par38 bulbs do work very well. I have a dimmable bulb that I am running over my 8 gallon Nano and I am pretty happy with it.
I like to be able to change the spectrum when I want to as well. I do have a bit of the spotlight effect though. I am growing LPS that are on the sand bed. :)

Stand for 11.4

OK so am going to start working on the stand. I am trying to decide wether to brace the top with some internal support or if it is structurally sound enough to hold a 100 pounds.
nano001.jpg

nano006.jpg

nano005.jpg

nano003.jpg

Any opinions?

Back