new tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

things just take time My Schuran is installed as well. I was able to get a lot done today.

You know I was just messin' with ya!:p I know how long things take sometimes...I'm 11 months in and I'm just finally ready for corals.:)

Wow...I wish you smooth sailing with that! I've noticed there is sand in your tank...What type is it? Is it regular industrial type sand? I hope your Tunzes and wave box doesn't create a sand storm in there!:eek:

The Sand is Fiji Pink from Carribsea. I am hoping as well not to have a mess. I had a surge tank and twin 6080's in my old 180 without a problem so I hope things are ok :)

The ball valves and fitting were bought through an online dealer.

www.savko.com

I have a little over 200.00 sitting in that pic.

The Sand is Fiji Pink from Carribsea. I am hoping as well not to have a mess. I had a surge tank and twin 6080's in my old 180 without a problem so I hope things are ok

Does the tank have any water because I'm thinking everything in the sand will die if it is just sitting there drying out...

The sand came dry not the live sand that they sell. I am thinking of using some kits from inland aquatics and Tigger Pods from Reeds Reef to inoculate the sand bed with. I am doing to get the nassarius snails and some micro hermits for this tank when it is up as well. Would also like some black foot trochus and conchs.

The sand came dry not the live sand that they sell. I am thinking of using some kits from inland aquatics and Tigger Pods from Reeds Reef to inoculate the sand bed with. I am doing to get the nassarius snails and some micro hermits for this tank when it is up as well. Would also like some black foot trochus and conchs.

Ahhh...Cool. I was thinking you got the bags of live sand that comes packaged in water and not the dry stuff. It will be live sand in no time once you start her up!:)

Hey Mike you could throw in one or two of the wet LS bags to seed the rest quicker, this way you get the benefits of the fauna types that live directly on sand.

Time for an Update

Well here we are. The Aquarium went live with salt and a limited live rock the end of May. It took nearly 3 months to make it through the Diatom Bloom that I had related to using the Reef Ceramics. I love the look and the flexibility that using the Reef Cermics products gave me. The best part is these thing are flat on the bottom so avalanches are not an issue. Attaching corals is pretty easy as well thus far and in a few months after the coralline grows in they will look like live rock. There are already some small feather duster worms colonizing them and I have mysis breeding behind the wall plates. Because it is hard for the fish to get back behin the wall plates it is like an in tank fauna factory so to speak.

Fish are limited at this time to a single Lyrtail Anthias, Leopard Wrasse, pair of Percs, Royal Gramma, Algea Blenny and and a Tomoni Tang. All are going well. I plan on expaning the Anthias population slowly over time. I am feeding the fish a diet of Artic Pods, Artemia, Home Made, and Formula one and Two.

Picture007-2.jpg

Picture006-2.jpg

Picture022.jpg

Mike the tank looks really nice, as does the whole room. Well done. You should be very proud!!!

Back