New to the scene

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

fall0n

Hello, so this is my first post here - been lurking for a while trying to absorb the concepts and background on setting up a salt/reef tank. In the past, I've had several fresh water and a few brackish water tanks as well as a good 5 years of building full eco-systems for my poison dart frogs. To start off, I got this tank from my mother as she was tired of cleaning it and dealing with it. Was just a fresh water tank. It's been sitting for prob 5-7 years now in my storage, so I've decided that it's about time I do something with it.

For now, I'm looking to get a over-the-top/back filtering system and skimmer. As all of us do, with the dart tanks I learned that going cheap pumps will lend to having to tear it all back up to do it again/right. Does anyone have any recommendations on a filter setup to start with? skimmer? and lastly lighting? Also, I need to do a search for an RO/RI filter unit. I have not decided as to what live stock that I am going to ultimately go with, but would like to get some live rock and get the water cycle started.

As the tank has been dry and in storage for a multitude of years, what's the best way to clean it out? Just dust etc from sitting.

This is the tank in question:
2011-08-03155845.jpg

hola! and welcome!!
well I would emplore you to get a cheap overflow box, and glass tank at petco and set up an inexpensive sump...

the quality of filtration for a sump is much better than hang-on gear, and you can hide all the gear for a much cleaner looking tank...
and you wouldnt spent too much more money if you did it right.

some gear that would be perfect for you;
overflow box
Filtration - Overflow
protein skimmer
SWC150 BMK
return pump
EHEIM1250 Premium Aquatics - EHEIM1250 Aquarium Supplies

Welcome to Reef Frontiers, I think we have a bunch of people here that can offer you help. It will be nice to see you getting started, please feel free to post lots and ask questions as needed. I would buy a RO/DI unit first thing, check out our sponsors. The cleaning thing yes rinse well, If it was fresh water you'll need to make sure it doesn't have any copper leached into the seams etc. from copper treatments If that was ever done. You will get lots of input on cleaning and getting started, all good questions. Also check all of the seams to make sure the silicone is still in good shape.

Thanks for the replies! I'm more than sure no copper or treatments of any type were used. Would cleaning it with vinegar and hot water be enough or is there any type of safe cleaner to try? With the silicone, if it's tattered up at all, should i pick up a tube of aquarium silicone and run a new bead? What's the mean time before I can add water?

Gonna check the classifieds for an ro/di setup. I just tossed a few 5g tanks that were used for quarantine and food/plant breeding/growing.

Hey Fallon and welcome to the board. The first thing you should do is asorb al the info you have easearched and what you re being given here then right down a list of it and put some numbers to it. When starting up new tank from scratch it can be an expensive thing, if you got th list you can prioritize wht you need for sur now wha an be put off for a bit and then whats a better option to buck up for now so you dont have to replace it down the road a bit.

Mojo

:welcome: to Reef Frontiers!!! :D As Mojo mentioned it is best when setting up a new tank to have a priorty list of the necessary equipment needed to run a reef tank. This is the way I've done it with all my tanks.

I noticed you hadn't mentioned the tank size. Can I ask what the size of the tank is? Also a few questions you might ask your self before spending to much is, What kind of life would I like to keep in this system? With that question answered then you can move onto what types of lighting, flow, filtration etc, etc... that you'll need for the system you choose.

Cheers,
Alex

I'll check tonight, do some measurements to see the tank size. Mentally i've been making a list, but definitely need to jot down a priority list. Gonna work on the following:

1. RO/RI unit
2: overflow box
3. tank for refug - should i start with a 5 or 10 g?
4. return pump

At that point I think, from reading so far, that I can pump water into the tank and start looking for some dead rock for base and live rock to seed.

Next will be:
5. decide on my idea of live stock
6. skimmer
7. lighting

I would fill the tank and just get the circulation going well first, this will also help as a good leak test. Starting out and getting the flow running smooth may take a few tries to get it good, with nothing in the tank you can play around with the flow etc first. If you take it slow you'll probably save money in the long run. As always JMO! :)

Last edited:
Hey, glad you found Reef Frontiers and :welcome: to the Salty Side of the hobby. It looks to be a 72g bowfront and if so a std 15 or 20g should fit (10g sump is usually to small for an appropriate sized skimmer, heater and return pump)
Keep us posted and when ready, myself and others I'm sure would be glad to share some macro, seed gravel etc... once ready. Beyond that, after everything has settled would also be happy to donate a starter coral/zoa pack to you.

Cheers, Todd

I would sugest that you get a 20 gallon long for your sump, the bigger the sump the better IMO. Having a larger sump will help you to have more water volume. A CPR overflow bow would be good, the box kinds are better than the tube kind, I have a PVC overflow on my tank but want to get an overflow box soon. You need to also get an auto top-off system, be sure that the float switch that you get for it has a snail and splash gard on it also.

Last edited:
all right, food for thought. Thanks everyone, I appreciate it. Gonna start the quest for the ro/ri and 20 gal long tank. TJL, Thanks a ton, I'd totally appreciate some starts once things are ready!

Tank dimensions are approx 49" long, 23" tall and 18" wide at the center. Online references note between 80-90 gal tank. Looks like I have a lead on a 6 stage RO-RI unit. woot.

wlecome!!
if you want to drill your tank i could help you with that.
its a real clean look and gets rid of the ofb.

Stop in sometime and I could show you a couple things.

RED-C

fallon,

Welcome to RF !!!

your tank size looks to be around 90g (49x23x18)/231=87.81 gallons

you have some great suggestions. As far as cleaning it, I would use a 10:1 mixture of white vinegar to water to clean it. Just make sure you rinse it real good and let it dry naturally.

Red c Aquarium is just north of seattle right off I-5 .
522 NE 165th st 98155
hours are 1pm-9pm weekends 11-8pm.closed mondays

sweet, i'll definitely drop by soon. Picked up a General 6 stage RO-DI [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]RD-102[/FONT] from another reef hobbyist that is getting out of the game lastnight. Working on hunting down a 20 gal long next.

acquired some matured java rocks, a pukani mass, 20g long tank for the refug, hanging overflow basket. Currently making RO-DI water, nearly filled a 32g garbadge can. Slowly adding salt now and will be testing salinity. Prob put the water in the tank tomorrow.

What kind of garbage can? Have you rinsed it previously with water and vinegar? Some cans can leech mold release agents into the water....

Back