New to the scene

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Prob put the water in the tank tomorrow.

Oh, exciting! New tank setups are so much fun. I dont like the waiting game, but its still fun aquascaping and picking out what you want to put in it and where. Keep posting pics as you go. :D

What kind of garbage can? Have you rinsed it previously with water and vinegar? Some cans can leech mold release agents into the water....

Was from another "reefer", so has only been used for salt water making for changes. But everything else, I've been cleaning with water/vinegar solution.

Oh, exciting! New tank setups are so much fun. I dont like the waiting game, but its still fun aquascaping and picking out what you want to put in it and where. Keep posting pics as you go. :D

Yeah gonna start snapping some pics, will post up!

Ok, so i have the 20g refug running to get a good current in the tank. Though, I already have plans for a 2.0. So, as my aunt works with acrylic's for building stands and signs etc for businesses, I have her picking me up some 3/8" sheets to make one like melevsreef:
sumpf.jpg

construction should start possibly this week/weekend.

salinity is spot on and currently working on ph. Does anyone use any Android apps to track/log their tanks? Something possibly with widgets to give reminders?

I have an android app to control, track and monitor my tank....but it is via a apex controller.

IMO, I would wait a minimum of 3 months to make sure the tank is fully cycled and any mini ammonia spike has been diminished AND the tank has alittle time under its belt as it were.

But I am conservative. Some will say, cycle over, add shrimp.

Bottom line for inverts ammonia and nitrites level have to be zero (0).

Ditto on what NC2WA mentioned. I'd say wait at least a month before adding hermits and astrea snails. Then after about another month you can add shrimp and maybe a fish.

Cheers,
Alex

Ok, great, kinda what I was thinking. I just like having a game plan laid out as far as possible to keep things in perspective. Thanks again.

OK, how about some updates:

With my first load of Fiji LR and the dead Pukani
2011-08-11052645.jpg

my v. 1.0 refugium. I figured out later that my return line was going straight down and blowing the sand around - causing my cloudyness. Put a 90 degree bend on that and resolved that matter.
2011-08-10214717.jpg

The mighty hunger has noticed that, wait, the water is moving. What's going on here?

2011-08-14095946.jpg

Now added another 35ish lbs of live rock -
2011-08-14215533.jpg

Now the sand has settled after the mucking around in the tank. Next on my agenda:

- clean and place my tunze water jet in the tank
- decide and search for a skimmer for the tank
- search for a 48" lighting setup
- plan out and start building refugium v2.0 out of 3/8" acrylic that I have

So quick question. I have probably around 80-90 lbs of live rock in the tank and some cheato & sea lettuce in my current mini refugium - to get the cycling kicked off good should I leave it as is or add a raw cocktail shrimp as I've read in multiple posts?

IMO I'd leave it as is for a few weeks and get yourself a good quality test kit along with a good skimmer. Then you can add part of your clean up crew after a couple of weeks. Not to many though as they will add to the cycling of the tank a bit.

I have read about the raw shrimp cycle before, but I always let time do it's thing. In time tanks will cycle.

Cheers,
Alex

thanks for the update. Seems some people do it out of habit and other's don't at all. With all the lr and ls, and the molly that my friend gave me out of his setup, I was thinking that it should be enough for now to get things moving. I've kept lights off as well. So far Amonia is low and there are no signs of nitrite or nitrate.

And then IMO, I would still add a piece of raw shrimp. If there is already bacteria in the system, it will need something to live on. If you are using any live rock from an established tank, it may have good bacteria in it. The raw shrimp will allow it to thrive and quite possibly avoid a heavy cycle. I think it would help in making sure a cycle starts if it is going to. And I dont think it would really hurt!

Just my experience, I started with live rock from an existing mature tank and fresh saltwater. I added a piece of shrimp and tested every other day for 2 months, with some coral, which came attached to the live rock, and a lot of snails and a few crabs in the tank and never had an ammonia spike.

In time tanks will cycle.

AHHH yes, Alex hit it on the head with the most appropriate use of the term, time.

IMO, Time is something that is needed (and overlooked) in this hobby. The hobby (and tank) will thank you for it..if you go too fast, your tank will let you know, believe me.

While you are waiting, may I suggest to read read and read some more on what fish you want, see which ones are compatabile and more importantly which are not. the same could be said for corals. If you are keeping fish, might be a good opportunity to make sure the QT tank is up and running AND you have the proper medication on hand.

http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/f15/quarantine-process-27022/

http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/f15/marine-fish-medicine-cabinet-27020/

But it does sound like you are on the correct track.

If you have ammonia and no nitrates, then nitrites should be on their way.
keep testing. You should see no ammonia, no nitrites and a very small amount of nitrates and then you should be good to go.

Back