New to the scene

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

AHHH yes, Alex hit it on the head with the most appropriate use of the term, time.

IMO, Time is something that is needed (and overlooked) in this hobby. The hobby (and tank) will thank you for it..if you go too fast, your tank will let you know, believe me.

While you are waiting, may I suggest to read read and read some more on what fish you want, see which ones are compatabile and more importantly which are not. the same could be said for corals. If you are keeping fish, might be a good opportunity to make sure the QT tank is up and running AND you have the proper medication on hand.

http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/f15/quarantine-process-27022/

http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/f15/marine-fish-medicine-cabinet-27020/

But it does sound like you are on the correct track.

Excellent, I'll take a look at that. I've been parsing threads related and had received a book on - how to choose your fish. Seems to be pretty thorough on each type of fish and their needs/pros/cons. As I ultimately want a mixed tank of reef, corals, zoas and fish, will take a lot of research to make sure that each is suited for a)tank b)tank mates

Thanks IPisceshttp://www.reeffrontiers.com/members/ipisces/! I'll grab a shrimp tonight to help feed the tank. The LR I got has been in a mature/established 2 year old tank. Should be some good breeding ground for bacteria. The Molly has been in the tank since last friday and has been doing great. Super active, swimming all around, eats well. They are pretty hardy lil buggers. I named her Molly McSacrifice, lol.

fallon,

For your saltwater library, i would suggest the Conscientious Marine Aquarist book by robert fenner.

Hahahahah - well we are actually already pretty attached to her. I'm always checking in on her and my GF talks to her now, lol. She seems to be loving the tank though.

If you do the shrimp method....try to find a fine mesh material to make a pouch out of. It keeps the rotting shrimp all together so there isn't unwanted chunks floating around and prolonging the cycle. Also makes removal a whole lot easier.

So I stopped by Safeway lastnight to pick one up. The seafood guy was all... well, I'm not going to charge you for one, just tell them it's a sample. LOL. Grabbed cheese cloth on the way out and tied it up in a makeshift bag. So I presume that we leave it in there until it has completely degraded away?

Once you get an amonia spike you can pull it out and the tank will do the rest.

Killer, thanks for details. I'll keep an eye out now for the amonia to spike in my regular testing.

So today for the first time, I have spotted several really really small snails working their way around the front of the tank glass. I'm assuming that these tagalongs are ok to let them just do their thing? i'm assuming they came from the live rock. I don't remember seeing any in the previous tank, but it's quite possible that his livestock kept the #'s down.

fallon,

For your saltwater library, i would suggest the Conscientious Marine Aquarist book by robert fenner.

So I was perusing through Border's yesterday and found this - got it at 50% off which is nice on a $70 book!

Good for you. Now read the book cover to cover more than once. :)

I believe I have read mine at least twice, and use it for fish reference when I want to see if a fish is compatible or if there is a write up about a particular species.

Its a great book that definatly put me on the right track. I have read 3 different books now on reef care and setting up and this one is by FAR the best. I still use it as a reference like NC2WA said.

Dennis

Ok update time. So I am onto Refug v2.0

2011-08-28160618.jpg

2011-08-28165301.jpg

2011-08-31085130.jpg

2011-08-31111223.jpg

2011-08-31111611.jpg

Water test - Successfully held with zero leaks for multiple hours -
2011-08-31124250.jpg

And with the top splash boarder/bracing -
2011-09-01214501.jpg

Back