New wavemaker w/MJ-1200's; have a few questions...

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Blazer88

I got this new wavemaker from ebay for $30 shipped after reading some good reviews about it. I am very happy with the timer but have a few issues with the MJ's. I've been using the powerheads for a while with no issues. I cut off the nozzels and now they click when they turn on. Any ideas why? Here is a pic of the new timer, not bad for $30!
P1090688.jpg

Hey Rick!

I am going to guess/suppose that you know when MJ powerheads start, there is a chance for the impeller to go either way (50/50 chance). So you have cut the nozzles in hopes of more random flow (you probably know this).

I am guessing the clicking sounds you are hearing are the impeller settling themselves before spinning.

Best,
Ilham

Hmm...that sounds about right. Maybe I shouldn't have cut off the nozzels, lol. It's just kinda annoying since I can hear the clicking of the impeller. Anyone know of a way to fix this? Thanks for the responses!

The only way to get around that, is if you shave down the impeller's. I wouldn't recommend that though. Unfortunately there is enough play in the houseing that they touch the base of it. I have the same problem when useing the wavemaker function on my controller with this power head. I haven't heard of it being a problem with the larger more expensive power heads though.

The wavemaker seems to be working great, no complaints there. Which powerheads will work with this without clicking? It's rather annoying and I would almost not even use the controller if I have to hear constant clicking noises.

Ive been using the same timer for over 3 months and it works great. No problems what so ever. I also use MJ's but they are not cut and I dont get a clicking sound. For $30 I think there a pretty good deal but Im a newbie.:)

That mod is pretty crazy. I've seen that thread before on RC, too bad I don't have that kind of time to spend, lol. I'll figure something out to quiet them down a bit. I can't image the fish enjoy the click sound either. I have other non-cut nozzels I can put back on and see if that helps. Without the nozzles cut, will I not get the random flow? I wasn't sure if the short nozzles were completely responsible for the random flow, I was also trying to get less of a stream-type flow.

Last edited:
To me, it looks like you will get more of a widespread flow pattern.. Basically less of a stream.. I have been kicking around the idea for awhile now, but I am not sure I want to butcher my powerheads.

since Other people don't get the clicking sound, I wonder if something is wrong with the unit???

Is it every powerhead?? could it be just one bad one??

if it's all of them, I would guess something is funky in the unit.

I still havn't ordered one, but will soon...

Good luck there neighbor!

It's nothing wrong with the wave maker itself, but the impeller in the PH's. I can swap a few non-cut ones on and see if the noise stops since each PH makes the noise.

Back