newb looking to start a saltwater tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

sapple89

okay so this is my first post and i am looking to start my first salt water tank exept i know almost nothing. i had a fresh water fish for a while( 1 or 2 years) but it was very hard to keep clean. i think salt water fish are much nice so this is my reason for my switch

i have a 55ish gal tank and rena fishstar xp filter (no heater, lights, or any of that yet)

here go the questions
how much money will it cost for me and what will i need to get the tank to a proper cycle?
Is a saltwater tank hard to maintain?
can i use my old freshwater filster for saltwater?

welcome to the reef frontiers web community. this is a great place to learn all about saltwater set ups. I have had freshwater a long time. Saltwater is a totally different creature, much more in depth! It takes more of everything - time, money and knowledge. It is also much more rewarding. About the only thing that you can use from your freshwater set up is the tank and heater. what kind of tank do you want? Fish or coral or both?

Last edited:
mostly fish, but maybe both. i like the look of coral but maybe live rock isnt a good idea for someone so new.

mostly fish, but maybe both. i like the look of coral but maybe live rock isnt a good idea for someone so new.

Corals are harder to take care of. I would start with fish. My understanding is live rock is a must even with a fish tank. The liverock is used as a filter. Lots of flow in the tank (powerheads) moves the water through the porous rock filtering the water. That and a skimmer are the filters used in a saltwater set up. You must also learn water chemistry. I started saltwater a year ago. There is a BIG learning curve but that's what makes it fun and interesting.

what price range am i looking at to set up this 50gal tank.

(not including fish)

$800?

(also i am moving in 6months to a new house and may want a bigger tank)

Here are the thing you need to look into and the prices vary depending on size and quality. Lights, Metal Halide, VHO, T5. ect. Skimmer, sump, powerheads. Live rock. Sand or bare bottom. Heater. Overflow.

what price range am i looking at to set up this 50gal tank.

(not including fish)

$800?

(also i am moving in 6months to a new house and may want a bigger tank)

You need about a lbs. of liverock per gallon. Liverock sells for about $5 per lbs. depending on what type you get. A skimmer will cost about $150 depending on what type you get. Same with power heads, $30 or more each depending on type and quantity. You will need salt mix also. Do your homework and ask lots of questions before you jump in. I started with damsel fish, they're cheap ($3 to $5).

i have no idea what most of thoese things are. lol

i am trying to get a rough estimate before i chose if i am going saltwater or not.
it seems that it is very hard to maintain.

if i started my tank out with just fish that eat algy/ what ever other nasty things that will end up in there would this keep my tank clean?

i have no idea what most of these things are. lol

i am trying to get a rough estimate before i chose if i am going saltwater or not.
it seems that it is very hard to maintain.

if i started my tank out with just fish that eat algy/ what ever other nasty things that will end up in there would this keep my tank clean?

Not without the filters. You need them to convert waste to non toxics. Saltwater is high maintenance and certainly more expensive then fresh water. I had to put it off for years because of the cost. If you have the money you can learn the rest :)

Let me ask you a question. do you want instant beauty or are you willing to take the time to do it correctly? Saltwater is a slow world. If you don't go slow and stayup on your water changes and testing you are going to kill alot of fish and corals.

Prices to start.
Overflow $50
heater $20
Live Rock $250
Skimmer $150 +
Sump $25- $200
Pump $50
Powwerhead $100
Lights $100- $700
Test kits $100
Salt $10 per 50 gallons
rODI water fliter $200

damn thats what i was afraid of.

i dont mind starting slow at all. i just want to know if i will be able to keep a nice tank fishless and coralless for a while(would this be easy to keep clean) until im ready to add fish

damn thats what i was afraid of.

i dont mind starting slow at all. i just want to know if i will be able to keep a nice tank fishless and coralless for a while(would this be easy to keep clean) until im ready to add fish

just water?

looks like if i plan on going tho this i will have to be buying used goods

maybe ill get lucky and someone on that got tired of taking care of their tank decided to sell everything

just some algy eating fish

I suggest water, liverock then fish and finally a skimmer. Get the water to the correct salt level. Let it sit for a week or so. Then add the liverock with plenty of flow. With light and liverock algae will start to grow. Then add snails to eat the algae. After a week or 2 you can add a few fish. After adding the fish you will want to add a skimmer to remove the fish waste. Temperature and water parameters are important to keep constant.

looks like if i plan on going tho this i will have to be buying used goods

maybe ill get lucky and someone on that got tired of taking care of their tank decided to sell everything

Everything for saltwater is expensive. If you can find good stuff used that would be the way to go.

so out of
Overflow $50- not sure what this does
heater $20
Live Rock $250
Skimmer $150 + (dont get why you need a skimmer sump pump and power head!)
Sump $25- $200
Pump $50
Powwerhead $100
Lights $100- $700
Test kits $100
Salt $10 per 50 gallons
rODI water fliter $200

your saying i can get out with...
liverock $250
heater $20
light-
salt-$50
test kits-$100
water filter?

just to start.. :))))))))

Yes for starting. You'll want to add a skimmer soon after. Also I would use filtered water to mix your salt with. The local saltwater store should sell it by the gallon. Tap water has too many bad things for saltwater. You will also need a lot of education on how and what to do. Good luck and enjoy.

Back