Newbies guide to the nano reef

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

The lazy college coed....

Spheramia nematoptera

....otherwise known as the pajama cardinalfish. I have to laugh every time I get a call for service in the south end of my district. Half of the area contains the north edge of Depaul University. Very expensive private school where during week nights you can see mainly coeds going to the White Hen with "pajama bottom" pants on. I always get the same reply "I was too lazy...". These wonderful nano-reef fish, boldly parade their off-beat color schemes. Very similar in shape to it's Banggai cousin, the big difference is it looks like you're getting three fish for the price of one. Whitish tail usually with red spots, a blackish mid-line stripe and yellowed head with red eyes. What isn't there not to like about this genetic freakshow:badgrin: . Hardy and nearly newbie proof, still needs proper acclimation into QT before entrance to the display. Meaty foods, try introducing lifeline herbivore and or ON's formula 2 to get marine veggies into their system. I found a good way to do this is DO NOT feed for a day and a half. Mince both products down to mouth sized portions and drop in one or two at a time. Watch what your fish does with the food. If they spit it back out and ignore it, try another time.

These cardinals are less skittish but not the most aggressive eaters. If you are in the fish planning stage, you may consider this a first occupant if you want a more aggressive tank mate, otherwise they may be in for problems which will eventually lead to starvation, disease and eventual demise. Reef harmless (look at my previous disclaimer) and just a fascinating subject.
Next up....the pitbulls of the nano-world, the damsel.

Last edited:
hm... just a question, won't cardinals not do so good in nanos because they are caught w/ cyanide from the wild?

josh

No fish will do good if caught using cyanide capturing in ANY sized tank. I think B. Fenner was quoted as saying the mortality rate of any cyanide harvested fish is 90% within the first three months IF they make it to your local dealer. Wonderful thing is at least I've seen the Banggai and maybe more are being tank bred. The "higher-fin" variety are not the fastest of swimmers out there. Excellent point you address. Thanks for taking time to read the propeganda I'm spewing. Mike.

My goni is starting to morph a bit.

I've noticed 2 weeks ago that the tips of the tentacles of each polyp became white. This last week as you'll see in the pic, the tentacles have lengthened.

Chromis, Chrysiptera, Dascyllus, Pomacentrus.

fee fee fi fi fo fo fum, looking kinda nasty, here she comes, wearing a wig and the shades to match, alligator boots and a tail to match... Mitch Ryder and the Detroit Wheels.

Whats in a name, well when someone speaks of a damsel, usually we associate it with- distress. Not, a salty dawg. Oh, we hear damsel, we think of cycling a tank (old skool) or "that friggin 4 dollar scamp took out expensive juvenile angel." Fear the reaper people, when something has a common name that has DEVIL in it, you made your own bed suckah. Yet, there are plenty of damsel fish that are about as aggressive as a clown and best yet, there some that would be a nice addition to our nanos.

Chromis Of all the damsels, these appear in all publications to be in the least aggressive/passive groupings. Looking more like small bluegill or sunfish, some have varying coloring and patterns to satisfy even the most snobbish of the household. More of the meat eating fares, look into getting these species some greens for optimum health. Not to generalize but since we do have smaller tanks, only one per tank.
1. Chromis iomelas Black and white fish that needs at least a 20 gallon tank. Is an active feeder in the wild constantly in the water column looking for zooplankton. Kinda like the 45 year old guy in the bar with the bad comb over, pinkey ring, graying chest hairs hanging out of the unbuttoned....you get the picture. To be fed at least 2-3 small meals a day. May not do well with very aggressive fish.
2. Chromis retrofasciata If you like a little splash of yellow in the tank then this pint sized guy is for you. Another constant eater, follow the instructions above, is not as much of an open swimmer, preferring to chill out on rocks and sand, but is nicely active when morsels hit the water. Keep away from dotty backs and such, otherwise your splash of yellow will be a clump of crimson in no-time.
3. Chromis lineata Sleek with its own set of racing stripes is another "mild" mannered small damsel. I did not mention before but a 10 gallon and up would be fine for this and the previously mentioned yellow zoot suit. Active in the water column, looking for it's next meal. Feedings are the same for the three species. Just mix it up. Also, keep away from grammas and dotty backs.

These mentioned fish are reef "safe". Hardy and generally mild mannered. I would only keep one per tank of any damsel I will mention, unless your goal is to get a mated pair for, you know, ah, that beautiful but so dirty thing, ohhh, okay, we're all adults....PROFIT.

Chrysiptera "excuse me, but will a devilfish get along with my prawn goby.....". Extremely bad choice for the nano. Kinda like Karen Black getting that pint sized warrior doll in Trilogy of Terror and bringing it into the apartment. Yet, don't despair, there are a couple that you may have success with, that will not treat your tank occupants like they are part of WWE's "Survivor Series".

1. Chrysiptera hemicyanea and parasema These two are the most common fishes you will see in a lfs. Parasema are usually labeled as damsel or yellowtailed damsel. Small, hardy and omnivoris. These are the fish we used to cycle a virgin SW tank with. Active swimmers, who can be skittish, so provide some "time-out" spaces where they can hide out. Small meaty foods are in order but like all reef fish, giving them some marine veggies will keep the fish in optimum health. 10 gallon and up.
2. Chrysiptera rex As Mel Brooks once proclaimed, "It's good to be the king". Doesn't look at all like a typical small damsel in that it's coloring has only the tiniest of blue. Another free swimmer who might harass smaller fish but like all bullies cannot hold it's own to same sized or larger aggressive fish. I'm sounding like a skipping forty five but feeding is the same as mentioned before. Keep a place to hide should you get one with a long line of irrational fears.

Dascyllus Nanoists beware, even the mild mannered ones of this genus will turn into hellions if not given enough space. Really beautiful fishes that need to stay in larger tanks.

Pomacentrus Here is rule of thumb with this genus: the bigger they get, the crabbier they become, yet the following are peaceful and small enough for our tiny tanks.

1. Pomacentrus alleni Torpedo sleek, carnivore that is peaceful. Keep singular and provide bolt holes for this baby. Nice rich, blue coloring that may dull as an adult. Small meaty foods and get them to try marine veggies to keep coloring and health optimul.
2. Pomacentrus auriventris I like this fish. Like watching my favorite college football team "Go Blue". See above for additional comments
3. Pomacentrus moluccensis If you are like me, when I found out I could not keep a yellow tang in my nano, (heartbreak is easy to get over if you're a life long Cubs fan) I was devastated but I have found a "substitute". It be dis guy over here. An active peaceful carnivore that is brilliant yellow in color. Variety of foods will help to keep the coloring intact. Sure the head is not shaped the same, nor does it have the distinctive oblong body, nor does it relish nuisance macro algae. ITS STILL BRIGHT YELLOW.

Even though I've given you what I believe to be the realitively harmless species' of damselfish, always beware of the siren song, for it has meant the death of many a man at sea. This is not a good fish to introduce first to the nano. Let the other fish establish themselves before you purchase, acclimate, QT and then introduce to the display. And only one damsel per tank. Stay safe, Mike.:evil:

Thanks Presto, and welcome to REEFFRONTIERS. You'll find this to be a great site and don't be afraid to ask any questions. No, one will belittle you hear unlike some other sites. What part of chi-town you from?

Show and shut up.

These are a few taken today, mind you, the Xenia started as a single stalked frag, 6 weeks ago.

NW side. The Norwood Park neighborhood. I have yet to go into that lfs that is in the same strip mall as Bourbon Street. Is it any good?

PRESTO2345 said:
The very south side of Chicago LOL....In the town of Aroma Park. How about you?
You weren't kidding about "very" south. I think I drove past Kankakee (sort've) when I went to SIU for a weekend....no, I will not get into that experience. Welcome aboard. Mike.

4251cpd said:
NW side. The Norwood Park neighborhood. I have yet to go into that lfs that is in the same strip mall as Bourbon Street. Is it any good?
Never been to that lfs. I frequent to the Naperville one and Oraland Park. Seems that the closer you get to downtown the higher their prices are. Example: The one on Milwaukee wanted 65 for a flame angle and Orland only wanted 40.

By the way thanks for the warm welcome.

Whew! I have some catching up to do on this thread!

Presto2345 - Welcome to Reef Frontiers!!! (if I missed ya before). I grew up in Frankfort, IL (family still there)....so I'm a southside burb girl.

A little break...

...before I take on the huge task of breaking down blennies, gobies and clowns. I've been going through terrorism training this week, and WOW, really interesting stuff. I got to see some of the stuff that has been put out by the press/news but we are treated to some stuff that can't be disseminated on TV. Nasty stuff. Anyways, please rest easy at night because there are those out here willing to commit violent acts on your behalf, seen that on a poster once. :lol: Anyways, if I don't attempt to tackle the subject before the holiday, happy independence day to you and yours. Mike.

P.S. leave the light displays to the professionals, you do not want to be known as Stumpy....do ya?

4251cpd...

just a quick question:

What could be wrong in my water, the water surface turn reddish. I already had a water change last night and I again I noticed it this afterrnoon.

I've no fish in the tank coz i'm curing it for ick problem. D'you think its normal?

NaH2O said:
Whew! I have some catching up to do on this thread!

Presto2345 - Welcome to Reef Frontiers!!! (if I missed ya before). I grew up in Frankfort, IL (family still there)....so I'm a southside burb girl.

Thanks Nikki....Frankfort has really exploded lately and is a nice town from my bi-weekly route 45 drives. Starting to be yuppie-ville...:)

spy_i said:
4251cpd...

just a quick question:

What could be wrong in my water, the water surface turn reddish. I already had a water change last night and I again I noticed it this afterrnoon.

I've no fish in the tank coz i'm curing it for ick problem. D'you think its normal?
Let me ask a question since I've never been in your neck of the woods. Do you leave any windows open? Meaning could it be a foreign substance that existed as a powder that somehow got in the tank. Do your corals and other inverts look healthy? Do you have any red macro algae? Does the red appear through what type of lighting? Answer those and then we can get hopefully to the bottom of it. Best thing to do right now is use carbon to hopefully polish up the water. Did you add any anti-ich treatments to the display? Any new inverts?

false alarm

Let me ask a question since I've never been in your neck of the woods. Do you leave any windows open? Meaning could it be a foreign substance that existed as a powder that somehow got in the tank. Do your corals and other inverts look healthy? Do you have any red macro algae? Does the red appear through what type of lighting? Answer those and then we can get hopefully to the bottom of it. Best thing to do right now is use carbon to hopefully polish up the water. Did you add any anti-ich treatments to the display? Any new inverts?
06-29-2006 01:59 AM

sorry false alarm!!

But thanx for the questions above. I tried to investigate further coz of your questions, that I found out the real culprit. It was my filter that did not work properly coz my powerhead was blocked. There was not enough water movement which cause those reddish things left floating in my tank.

alotofthanx!!
:D :D :D

Bu,bu,bu,bu,bu,Blenny and the jets....

....or what not to put in a nano tank. Yes, folks, there are at least three species of blennies that are 2"s or less in size. So, it meets the size requirement that you've harped on us about, Michael...why do you say they are a prohibited species in the nano? Well, if ya let me finish kind sir, then I would say if you want a smallish blenny in a nano fish only set-up, then by all means;) . After much exhaustive research, (okay, three books worth) all of them agree that blennies are known to nip various sessile inverts. I guarantee you will do one of three things when you discover your 15 dollar fish has made your half a c-note sps frag into it's all you can eat buffet. And at least two of them will cause property damage and the third will take you off PETA's x-mas card list. You have been warned, it's all on you now. I will start a primer on one of the best types of nano-reef fishes around, but there are quite a few members from this good Catholic family of fish. It's gonna take quite a bit of effort, but it's never work when its a labor of love. (Totally sappy, but I just saw Beaches) Toodles, Mike.:shock:

Back