Next fish - what do you think?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Thanks Kensn I was looking for a similar clip on the Blue Tang, the Pacific Blue Tang Palette Surgeonfish, Hepatus Tang, Blue Surgeonfish, and Regal Tang are all the same, I can see it easily called a blue tang though. One the Convict tang will make trouble with the Hippo like most tangs do. Sailfins make great fish when small but after a year or so you'll need to get him a bigger home, they grow fast and eat everything.

Rabbitfish/Foxface do make for nice looking fish, the black on top of the deep yellow is cool, even more cool when they change colors when spooked or threatened.

I think the Convict will work out well. From what I've read, they are one of the better Acanthurus spp. for aquariums. They have a better temperment and a smaller size compared to others in the Genus. Let me know how it does if you get one. That is a species I never considered for my tank.

With regards to rabbitfish - have you ever seen the Magnificant Rabbitfish? IMO, it is one of the coolest looking foxfaces. Here's mine, before I sold her to someone with a FOWLR. She ended up feasting on my SPS.....I've just ordered another, so hopefully this one will eat algae instead of coral :rolleyes:

Magnificanrabbitfish.jpg

Hi Shauna.

I know that a lot of people choose NOT to have a manini (Hawaiian word for this common fish) because they lack much color. On the other hand, your tank looks as if all the other fishes has a variety of colors, so in this case, it would be a great addition.

The fish mostly silverish, with 5 thin (variable thickness) black vertical lines, I guess sort of like a convict, or excon. I used to live in Hawaii for along time, and I have seen many of them right off the pier in Honolulu. If you go diving there, you will see schools of them swimming together, and they seem to swim where there isn't much coral growth. They like the open space.

Definitely an algae grazer, and would suit your needs....although it does grow up to 30 cm..

Best,

Ilham

My main concern is body type with the hippo. they look pretty similar. The other fish I'm considering is the Naso and Kole from other people. It's a good point about the sailfins getting too big...

My only other tang suggestion is get a Kole (it's pronounced Koh-Lay) tang from Hawaii. Very, very great algae eaters, and personality is great! I love the sharp yellow around their eyes, with light blue/gray horizontal lines in their brown body.

Best,

Ilham

get a kole... There is no better that will get along except a chevron which cost all the money.

For the third time KOLE....

Another nice Ctenochaetus tang to go along with the Kole and Chevron is the Tomini tang. Ctenochaetus tangs don't really nip off macroalgaes, like Caulerpas, growing in the tank, but prefer microalgaes.

Detri said:
That is a beautiful looking fish Nikki! The colors are brilliant.

oops - I missed this post before. Thanks! I really liked her, so I hope my new one will work out, when I get her.

kole tang.... pretty purple stripes........ great fish...... cheap............ buy one now for only 3 payments of $19.99. plus if you buy one to day you get this free knife set...

That is only for the first 50 callers!!!

(Shipping and handeling of $199.00 will apply)

:mad: thanks Ken!

Well I AM considering the Kole tang (Kol-ay) (ole!) :rolleyes:

They don't get that big either!

But Ken, I remember you suggesting the Desjardinii Tang!

So if my Hippo is only two inches, what size should the new inductee be? :D

GASP! When???!!! You suggested the Desjardinii Tang when we were on the tank tour. You can ask Dona since she's the one who pointed to the pretty sailfin at the pet store!

I am aghast that you doubt my words!!!! :p

Back