Next fish - what do you think?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

"oh yea" that shouldnt count as a post, were are those evil mods that delete post??? This guy needs outta here

Who deletes post Jiddy? I deleted one on mine yesterday but that was mine.

Before purchasing fish, a few thoughts, one not in every condition will fish get along, good thing in this case it is a 120, the tank has swim room. Now how big of a fish does that contain depends on several things, I think you must consider open space for your larger fish, In my 100g tank, it was 5ft long but I had lots of LR, when I got my rabbitfish, he was a little large (5") I wouldn't want a bigger fish. I also had a sailfin, these fish once they get so big or run out of swim room they act like they are close a phobic, very jittery & restless, I would suggest that if you do get a fish that will get bigger, make plans to find it a new home in a larger tank. I was lucky, I donated them to the charity hospital, they have a 700g display. One other note, larger fish eats first, my rabbit fish at one time got to the point that he would splash water out the tank every time food was present, either fish weren't aggressive until feeding time, then it wasn't the case.

Scooterman said:
Who deletes post Jiddy? I deleted one on mine yesterday but that was mine.

Scoot - he's talking about the "glitch" we had when the mojo accidentally reset his post count. :)

thanks for the advice about size and being courteous to the fish. My tank is five feet long, but I agree that a sailfin would probably tfind that short :). I think I'm going to try the Kole. He only grows to around 7inches and that's a great size for me! Guys, I really appreciate the advice - seeee you've managed to change my mind about the convict tang to go with a more tank appropriate selection!

I have a few ideas:
A Moorish Idol
Clown Tang
Powder Blue Tang
Green Mandarin Goby
chorus wrasse (not sure if thats the right name for it but it has a red head that fades to a deep blue wiht neon blue spots and a yellow tail) Very COOL fish

Jiddy said:
"oh yea" that shouldnt count as a post, were are those evil mods that delete post??? This guy needs outta here

Thats big talk for a guy with so few posts....

shallowreef said:
I have a few ideas:
A Moorish Idol
Clown Tang
Powder Blue Tang

BAD BAD IDEA!

The Moorish Idol very difficult to keep, experts loose them.
Clown Tang same here, very agressive also.
Powder Blue Tang another difficult fish to keep also very agressive towards other tangs, I have to strongly disagree with these.

Thats not always true with enough hiding spots a moorish idol is a breeze. Before i bought mine i made sure it was eating at the store and fed it the same food at home and slowly got it used to eating off the rocks. As for the tangs a 125gallon tank is big enough to handle them. i did it in a 75 for awhile until i lost my powder blue to Ich. I guess it all depends on luck.

I'd really like to see pics of your Moorish Idol.
How long have you had it? What are you feeding it? In any event, they are not a breeze to keep. Public aquariums have difficulty keeping them.
I worked at a wholesale/retail store in Hawaii for 2 years. In that time frame I saw somewhere in excess of one thousand Moorish Idols, only two ate. The MI is native to Hawaii so its not like they had a horrificly long and trauma filled trip to the store. We had over a million and a half gallons of saltwater in the store, and we used natural seawater.
If you've got one that eats and is doing well, congratulations. You've just won the lottery. But you really shouldnt be reccomending this fish to others, you should be taking extremely detailed notes on your system, its inhabitants, your water chemistry, temperature, behaviors of the fish, etc. So that others may foloow in your footsteps.

I would suggest either a Kole or Tomini tang as a new addition. I have a Tomini and prefer its coloration to the Kole.

Nick

You know - I was at the LFS yesterday scrutinizing the two Koles that they had, and honestly, I don't see what the fuss is about.... Then I was watching the Desjardinii tang and oh what a sight to see. So, I guess I haven't decided yet... I'll go look online at the Tomini!

As for Moorish Idols - yeah, I love em' but too risky for a newby like me! Thanks for the advice all, you are definitely assisting me with my decision.

Oh, and I will also be getting a mandarin with the same order - how do you QT a mandarin when they only eat pods?

Alright - so I think the Tomini is pretty! I'm reading that they are agressive with other tangs though. Maxx, do you have one? with what? I really want to make sure that everybody gets along! :)

yeah Maxx,

I took your advice and wrote down the whole process. So why don't you take a look and analyze my theory. Its under "general disussion". Maybe you can see where things went wrong for you.

Shauna,
Yes I have one. Its been in my tank since Feb 11th of this year.
It hasnt been aggressive to anything in the tank that wasnt aggressive to it first. I've added two Onyx Perculas which are much smaller than the Tomini and a Royal Gramma which is also smaller than the Tomini. No issues with aggression from the Tomini with these fish. I added a Coral Beauty which was the same size as the Tomini and fighting broke out, but the Tomini caught the worst of it, and I removed the Coral Beauty.

Here are some pics....

Tomini_sideshot3-2_03-16-05.jpg

Tomini_08-07-05.JPG

Tang_Bellus_cleaner_RBTA_03-16-05.jpg

Earlier photo of the Tomini taken on 02-21-05
Tomini_grazing_on_closed_loop_inlet_02-2105.JPG

Nick

Kensn - clear your PM box! I can't heckle you privately when you're overfull! I bet it's you and Jiddy bickering that's filled it up! :D

We could hope the mandarin would eat brine, mine does, but not a fro sure thing. You could buy som pods, or we will donate some to you.

at my LFS it's 40 dollars to get a a small beaker! That seems pricey no? Same with their fuge algae - 20 bucks for that! GASP - Highway Robbery!!!

Back