Not-so-mad-March Madness - 15 days of Q&A - Contest Answer Thread!!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

PAR: Photosynthetically active radiation, often abbreviated PAR, designates the spectral range (wave band) of solar radiation from 400 to 700 nanometers that photosynthetic organisms are able to use in the process of photosynthesis. This spectral region corresponds more or less with the range of light visible to the human eye.

Photosynthetically active radiation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

doh jrgilles beat me to it!!! haha yea what he said Photosynthetically active radiation...

OK- and the official answers are as follows:

Question # 5 - Answer: There are hundreds of fish that are now captive-bred, be sure to ask for them at your LFS, they include - Assessors, Mandarins, Jawfish, Cardinals, Scooters, Blennies, Tangs, Seahorses, Pipefish, and some Dwarf Angels - You guys showed me up!! See the submissions posted above for a complete list, as my list came nowhere close to as thorough ;)

Question # 6 - Answer: PAR is the Photsynthetically Available Radiation which is all radiation between 400-700 nm wavelength range. It can be measured in several units. Just like distance can be measured in feet, meters, etc. PAR can be measured in different units used to measure radiation. When PAR is measured by the number of photons falling on a given area in a given amount of time, this is called PPFD and the units used are micromoles per meter square per second.

Leaderboard will be posted this afternoon (gotta run to another meeting) - but great job guys!!

They feed primarily on small live crustaceans(copepods & amphipods & seed shrimp), and other live invertebrates (worms and snails), as well as fish eggs.

source, wikipedia.org

As previously mentioned, live Amphipod and Copepods and even brine shrimp. They may also eat other micro organisms within the aquariums that are not visible to the naked eye.

from Wikipedia: "diet that consists of harpacticoid copepods, polychaete worms, small gastropods, gammaridean amphipods, fish eggs and ostracods." :D

Cheers,
Alex

Awesome idea, wish I could play! Most of my internet time is at work though, and Facebook is a big no-no! Bummer.... :eek:hwell:

Well I have missed to many of these to be a serious competitor now, but this is fun so . . .

Question #8

Acanthurus pyroferus

Juvenile Mimic Lemon Peel Tang. Acanthurus Pyroferus

Source: liveaquaria.com

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

It's hard to say from the pic as it could be either a Juvenile Mimic Lemon Peel Tang (Acanthurus Pyroferus)or a Yellow Angelfish (Centropyge heraldi). From the mouth area it looks like the Acanthurus Pyroferus :lol: But it seems to be missing the blue color around the gill and eye.

Cheers,
Alex

Back