O.K. I did a really dumb thing...

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Damsel13

I have all my powerheads and return pump from my mini-sump, my heater and my main skimmer pump all on one powerstrip which I turn off when feeding mysis/spirolina stuffed brine or just any major feast for fish.

Last evening after feeding I FORGOT to turn that powerstrip back on! There is an airstone that runs on a different plug that sends a tiny bit of water through the system (well oxygenated at that).

This morning I woke up and found my coral beauty (see any eye candy for a before picture) breathing heavily and laying on her side in the corner of my tank. I was appalled when I realized what I had done. Did a quick quarentine with airstone and tankwater and she came around in about 20 minutes.

Well things are up and running after a 5% waterchange (all I had). And she is swimming but hiding mostly. Still touch and go. I feel awful. I hope she makes a full recovery. Most everything was off for over 14 hours. Thank goodness that airstone was still going. The other fish just seem a bit skitish and the anemone BTA looks slow to extend but is. So I am cautiously hopeful.

Thanks for reading in advance,

Deb,

I'm glad you caught it when you did. That would have been horrible.

You mentioned powerstrip so I have a couple of questions just for safety.

1: Do you have a drip loop and is it mounted somewhere where water won't get to it?

2: Is the powerstrip plastic?

3: Have you added up the wattage of everything plugged into it to make sure you're not exceeding the capability of the strip.

Here's why.....

I had a fire due to an arcing fault on an el-cheapo powerstrip years ago. (Details are here http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4483&highlight=fire+yikes ) I thought I had done everything correctly. I had drip-loops, I wasn't exceeding the parameters of the powerstrip, etc. However, it turns out that el-cheapo's are notorious for catching fire if there is a constant draw (think pumps, heaters). This is not limited to Home Depot plastic powerstrips. This one is actually marketed directly to the hobby. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=584645

After my fire, I immediately went out and bought these.

new_supplies_medium.jpg

Here is the offending Home Depot powerstrip.
fried_powerstrip_medium.jpg

Look at the insides of this cheap powerstrip and compare it to the insides of a quality powerstrip.
bad_one_medium.jpg

goodone_medium.jpg

First off....I'm NOT AN ELECTRICIAN and I'm sure I'm describing this wrong. However, what some firemen and electricians explained to me is that when you use a cheap powerstrip that just operates by using three thin copper strips and you are plugging in something with a constant draw, you are at risk for an arcing fault. This could be a pump, it could be a clock radio, a computer that is left running 24/7, etc. Apparently what happens is an oxidation occurs over time preventing current from flowing. When that happens in el-cheapo powerstrips, the current jumps (arcs) over the oxidation to an area where there is no oxidation. Eventually, this arcing causes the plastic to catch fire.

I was lucky to have insomnia that night. I hadn't changed the batteries in my downstairs smoke detector so it didn't go off. The only reason I investigated was because my lights were flickering. This fire actually cost me a small fortune because I had to spray every single surface in my basement with Kilz (not cheap) and repaint to get rid of the nasty smell. I also lost some livestock. Wiring my tank properly would have been much cheaper.

Quality powerstrips are worth it. In fact, after the fire, I went to GFCI outlets on a AFCI (Arc-Fault) circuit breaker. Truth be told, I had all of the supplies sitting right there for a professional wiring job. An electrician friend of mine was going to do the wiring job for free within the next two weeks.

I will be studying all the info you presented very carefully as I know I have cheap powerstrips and therefore am on borrowed time. I do have drip loops but not well designed ones so that will have to be addressed as well. Thanks for the great pictures and link. As I said I will definatly be taking advantage of your past fire and losses.

Thanks so much for the time to answer.

My Coral Beauty survived my dumb mistake as did the BTA. They look good and are eating. All other fish are back to their old selves. Whew!

yea, im scared now. I have a coralife strip with a digital timer. I havent opened it up yet, but I would put money on the fact it looks like that home depot one on the inside... GEEZ.

Don actually I got one actually the first one I got I really liked but had to take back to Petsmart and the other ones that were the same model didn't work either. Someone one here recommened that model and I think that store just had a couple that didn't work that they put back on the shelf :evil: . So I got a different one but it is too tall to fit under my canopy with the lights. I can have it feed into the return pump area but I need to play around with it or return it and get another.

After this incident and what Curt posted in this thread I will need to rethink some things for sure.
:doubt: :rolleyes:

Thanks,

Don actually I got one actually the first one I got I really liked but had to take back to Petsmart and the other ones that were the same model didn't work either. Someone one here recommened that model and I think that store just had a couple that didn't work that they put back on the shelf :evil: . So I got a different one but it is too tall to fit under my canopy with the lights. I can have it feed into the return pump area but I need to play around with it or return it and get another.

After this incident and what Curt posted in this thread I will need to rethink some things for sure.
:doubt: :rolleyes:

Thanks,

Not auto feeder, a feeding timer. A feeding timer will shut down what ever it is you need to, like your skimmer and turn back on by itself after a preset time.

Don

Back