o2manyfish - Skimmer Comparison

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

FinsReef said:
Scooterman,
I have another electrical question, If a pump runs at 220v/50 hz will it full more or less watts than a 120v/60 hz. Would a 220v pump produce more heat due to wattage than a 120v pump? Assuming they are the same gph?
More watts, less amperage.
Heat build-up under exacting manufactured conditions would probably be close to the same. Think of it as a water hose (110Volts), open the valve and the water flows at a given speed (Voltage) & at a given volume (amperage) in a given time frame. Use half the diameter hose, things change, speed almost doubles but in the same time frames, volume is down by almost the same.
I hope that was a good analogy, lol kinda tired.

o2manyfish said:
I picked up the MRC 3 from Chuck Moon today -- Big thanks for Chuck -- Everyone should ask him about the new Halide Ballast he is getting for Hannukah - That thing is awesome :)

Dave, don't make me think about that toy any more. It's already haunting my thoughts as I stare at my tank right now.....dimming....0-100%, whatever time frame I want....for only the cost of 5 regular ballasts! :lol:

small update:

Gary (Ger) sent me the GroTech skimmer yesteray. I think it will be here on Tues. Thanks you very much Gary and everyone else that has donated a skimmer(s)

Chuck, if you need someone to babysit your new skimmer while your gone, I would be happy to watch it for you!

Here is a question for you Dave that can just be observed during your testing, but does water temperature affect the skimmers in any way?

Hi Madison & Dave,
Thanks for all the hard work being done here. I am using a Grotech HEA-200 and was wondering if it would do better in another bracket. I'm not trying to say other brackets are any less competitive but if people were to take bets I think the BK & Deltec are probably the favorites. With no losers bracket if it loses it is a shame in a way becouse I believe it is a good skimmer and is a little more of moderately priced Euro skimmer. As well this venturi is far different than any other venturi I have seen on any other skimmer. I think it would be interesting to see this in a bracket w/ a similarily sized Lifereef. I assume you will be using the HEA-250. I would also like to say I am in no way associated w/ Grotech or benefit from it's sales. Just a happy customer :D .
Thanks,
Chad

I dont know if either the deltec or bubble king can be called shoe-ins. Thier are so many concepts on skimming and different ways to accomplish it. The neddle wheel is one way for sure, but they might have trouble if thier in the same tank as a volume skimmer, say like a becket style or Etss.

Mike

Ken,

The temperature would be hard to study. Since the system is outside controlling temperature is impossible, but factors that I think would have a greater effect like humidity and barometric pressure are impossible to control in this environment.

Dave B

Currently running in the system breaking in, and educating me how to adjust the system is the Aqua C, Via Aqua, Geo, BQ, and Deltec.

This past week Tedinator, Algaeguy, Ouinla, and a couple of others have come by to help in watching for fairness, and also their own opinions regarding adjustment of the skimmers to vary performance.

One of the big factors coming to play is skimmer sensitivity....Some of the skimmers are needing more attention to stay optimized. So one of the categories to rate the skimmers will be the "set it and leave it" factor.

If weather permits in the next day or so, the first bracket will be set up, and we will start the learning process.

Dave B

Dave, I guess it would be hard to study. As cold as it has been, and the way our weather is around here, if you notice if/when it warms up if it looks like skimmate production if different. I guess it would have to get back into the 80°'s to really see if it did.

Dave,

any news on the webcam you wanted to set up?

would be nice to see the skimmer in action :)

Hey Dave, that goldflake started eating right away.
Goldflake%20and%20Vlamingi.jpg

o2manyfish,
When this test going to start? Just curious.....I can also send you a beckett skimmer to go along with the test. Also, I also think that H&S should be in the C-Brackett.

reeffan
ReeffantaSea Reef System

Hey Guys,

Well today it is cold and rainy. So I am not going to go outside, clean the skimmers, and adjust the plumbing in the test tank to get things started.... Sorry but curiosity has to wait for a lil bit of sunshine :)

I have a webcam that is up and working (sometimes), but unfortunately the pic quality wouldn't be of value (Dlink 900w). This week I may be getting a new video capture system that will allow me to use regular video cameras, which should make it worthwhile to peek in on things.

I am also looking for a source for a Sony VC Webcam - It has 16x zoom and pan and tilt via a web browser. Salsa King has one on his office tank it was very impressive.

Reeffan - We have an MRC skimmer for a beckett to add it. If you have a different beckett design - please email me - Assumming we get things worked out with H&S we are still one skimmer short.

Dave B

Back