o2manyfish - Skimmer Comparison

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Well, whats the point of having a fish poop algae generating machine if no one can see it?????
Nick

maxx said:
Well, whats the point of having a fish poop algae generating machine if no one can see it?????
Nick

EZAKARY!!! ;)

I love the way the fish look under the AC14ks.....I suppose I could cut back to just two....

moonpod said:
EZAKARY!!! ;)
ROFL
I just had a flash back to Revenge of the Nerds...where the japenese guy grabs the lobster..
"Ohhh...Robster Craws. I like Robster Craws"

Sorry....I need to be medicated.....
Nick

speaking of skimmers, I m gonna be very up set if I find that my E.T.S.S. REEFDEVIL is a piece of crap its only on a 75 gal tank I got the thing @ Below Sea Level and it came with a catalina pump pitched it and bought a sedra it produces much more skimmate with no chattering pump

Took long enough to find you Dave.
As for skimmers, I do have one of the Via Aqua skimmers that I got a deal on. I have not put it to work yet, but I am really interested in finding out the results. I was even thinking of looking into a Sedra to replace the Via Aqua pump with. But I will wait till you finally getting around to doing some testing.

OUinLA said:
Yes that Via Aqua shows some real promise. I hear the makers of that skimmer use them on some really huge tanks that are quite impressive.

One thing i've been thinking about is the "shutting down" theory we've talked about and hope to at least somewhat base the results on. Since Dave's system is so large and all these skimmers are underated for his system (even when running 3 at a time) I don't know that we will ever see a skimmer shut down. Nonetheless, it will still be very interesting to see what does happen.

madison

That is a very good point.

question - how big/often are water changes done on the system? If some of the skimmers don't shut down, would it be possible to run a couple of skimmers on just the water removed from a water change? Just keep recycling the water until one skimmer stops but the other is still going.

I just had the pleasure of paying a visit to Dave's last night. It is a very impressive setup and really ideal for this type of skimmer test. I wish the weather here in Las Vegas was conducive to having tanks outside like Dave's. One of the most impressive things about Dave's corals, and fish, was that a great majority of them were rescues that are now thriving. It's got me thinking of ways to increase my water volume.

The skimmers set up were truly impressive, never seen so many quality units in one place. Thanks to Dave for allowign me to visit, as well as take home a few odds and ends (of corals that is).

Mike,

Thanks for the praise. The Naso was not a rescue. I had had a pair of regular Nasos for about 3.5 years. I came across a pair of the Red Sea Blonds, and did the old swapp out for the prettier fish. For about 5 months things were great, then one day the male turned on the female and in less that 2 hours sliced her to death. :(

I would love to end up with a pair again, but I haven't had the courage to get another naso for him. A couple of times in the past I have had Nasos paired up for years and then one turn on the other.

Besides that tank is a lil Tang Crazy, time to thin out some tangs and add a couple of more angels.

Back to the skimmer test.
Weather here is gorgeous.... Daniel Knop is in town and photographing my tanks, so I won't be messing with stuff till tomorrow - (Saturday). Tomorrow the first group gets cleaned, setup and set to run. I will post full pics, as well as my 'personal' opinions as to ease to clean, ease to assemble, and ease to configure.

Invincible, were you able to start collecting all the non-bias stats for the skimmer involved. I would really love if others could take the time to locate the data on the skimmers, including MSRP and the lowest price found for the skimmers.

Dave B

Here is the bracket.

Skimmer%20bracket%20copy.jpg

Chuck last message I got about this was that it was going to be in US customs today. I haven't heard anything today but I would think that it will have cleared customs by the time you get back and will be here in LA.

o2manyfish said:
Invincible, were you able to start collecting all the non-bias stats for the skimmer involved. I would really love if others could take the time to locate the data on the skimmers, including MSRP and the lowest price found for the skimmers.

Invincible - if you get a chance can you list the skimmers you have information on already. That way if someone wants to help out, then they aren't duplicating research you already put together.

Also, is the model for the Grotech known? In Dave's post listing the model numbers, at that time, the Grotech model was unknown, and Dave was waiting for confirmation on the H&S.

Back