o2manyfish - Skimmer Comparison

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Chuck,

How is the Imperator doing ? The passer is gorgeous, but is missing a pectoral fin, he went into the tank with no fuss from any of the other angels. Haven't named a fish in awhile - but going to call this one 'Nemo'.

Goldflake is gorgeous, I am tempted to go check in on the juvie on Monday... I have been wanting a tiny one for the past year...

Glad to hear all is well.

Dave B

If we end up being a skimmer short, I can add my Southbay skimmer. It's a Euro Reef knock off. It doesn't have a needlewheel, but it uses the same Sedra pump that Euro Reef use to use. We can either run it as is, or see if we can find a Sedra w/ a needle wheel. It's a little under rated compared to some of the other skimmers but it is still a good skimmer and would be neat to see how it does.

There has been a lot of good input so far. Maybe someone can consolidate all the factors to be tested so we can simply come up with a list. We could then rate each skimmer on a scale (e.g. 1-5, with 1-poor and 5-Excellent). This would make it easier to rate multiple things without considering just one facet of performance, allowing everyone to choose what's important to them.

Here are some suggestions just to start:

Color of skimmate (clear, light, medium, dark, black)
Volume of skimmate (in ml's over a certain period of time)
Power draw of pump(s)
Size (l x w x h)
Air flow
Water flow
Initial adjustment
Ease of use after initial set up
Maintenance required (e.g. cleaning time & how hard to clean, etc.)
Foam consistency
Bubble size
Noise factor (pump and air)
Price point
Warranty
Features (if any)

These are just a few of what came to my mind. What do you think? :rolleyes:

Another thing I think should be paid attention to is how well they react to differences in surface tension. I guess that's what you might call it. You know how the oils from your hands can cause the foam head to collapse. I've noticed different skimmers can take longer to build foam back up. Just my .02.
See Ya,
Chad

Dave, thanks for letting me stop by today with about 5 minutes notice! It was great to see some of the skimmers warming up for the skim-off! As for me, I froze my rear off standing in the rain.
I can't think of anywhere someone could go and see some of the best skimmers on the market all in one place, and all making sludge, not standing on a pedestal, looking pretty. I don't remember the name of the little one next to the Bubble King, but found it very interesting to see it pulling stuff out right next to the big guns.

Thanks Dave.

Konadog said:
Dave, thanks for letting me stop by today with about 5 minutes notice! It was great to see some of the skimmers warming up for the skim-off! As for me, I froze my rear off standing in the rain.
I can't think of anywhere someone could go and see some of the best skimmers on the market all in one place, and all making sludge, not standing on a pedestal, looking pretty. I don't remember the name of the little one next to the Bubble King, but found it very interesting to see it pulling stuff out right next to the big guns.

Thanks Dave.

Ken,

I think the little guy is the smaller of the Via Aqua models. I found it interesting also.

Ted

Yes that Via Aqua shows some real promise. I hear the makers of that skimmer use them on some really huge tanks that are quite impressive.

One thing i've been thinking about is the "shutting down" theory we've talked about and hope to at least somewhat base the results on. Since Dave's system is so large and all these skimmers are underated for his system (even when running 3 at a time) I don't know that we will ever see a skimmer shut down. Nonetheless, it will still be very interesting to see what does happen.

madison

If/When the time comes Madison, isolate the tank that the BK is in, dump all the collection cups in and see who is the last skimmer skimming!

Rufio,

Weather has been a hindrance for getting things started this past week. VegasMike is coming to visit tomorrow, and Daniel Knop on Saturday. So if the weather allows perhaps tomorrow while Mike is here we will put together the first bracket.

Also I have been playing with the different skimmers as they arrive. Learning what it takes to get them to perform... That way when things start a skimmer doesn't lose a couple of days due to my ignorance in setting it up.

I spoke with Robert of H&S today (Weds), and he currently is out of stock. But having heard what is going on, he is going to find something in the next week or so, and actually hand deliver it, to come check out the competition and take a look at my system.

And the final Skimmer, is being custom made. His name is ReefFan here on RF, and he is making a beckett style skimmer. He is actually building this skimmer for the comparison - I don't know much about what products he makes, but feel free to email him to find out, and thank him for filling in the final slot of the comparison.

I will start putting together some photos in the next day or so.

Dave B

HOOBOY Davey, looks like you got a serious line up going onw. BTW, the imperata has been fine from day one as well...Anyways, I'll bring ya back some chocolates from Switzerland and we'll talk ACLS....

Dave,

Question on the EuroReef. Are you getting a new Recirc 8-2 or an old one?

--Rick

o2manyfish said:
Hey Guys,

Here are the Model Numbers -- In an effort of fairness I would love it if someone not involved would gather all the stats for the different model skimmers.... Invincible this could be a great Internet Search project for you.

I have not been able to confirm an H&S Skimmer yet. Hopefully that will happen today. And we have 1 slot open. I have talked with StoneyReef and Barr Aquatics. Does anyone else have a contact with a skimmer company to get us 1 more skimmer to make it an even dozen (please) --

As for the Models

EuroReef - CS 8-2
AquaMedic - Turboflotor 1000
Bubble King 250 (or is it 200?)

Geo (Model with 2 Sedra 5000 pumps)
Aqua C 400 with Mag 24
ETSS - Model that is only 23" tall

ViaAqua 200 (ViaAqua has a 300 but this is the model they wanted to use - They were confident in the smaller size)
MRC 3/4 - Will have both skimmers here to test out
H&S - Waiting to Confirm skimmer and model

Grotech (Unknown model -GER chime in)
Deltec 902/850 - Waiting to determine
Unknown -- someone offer something up ---

Dave B

I just e-mailed Jeff over at Euro Reef to see if we can't get him to loan Dave one of the recirc models.

--Rick

moonpod said:
180g Clear For Life FOWLR. Sump/fuge combo, GenX PCX55 return, Tunze streams in tank, Deltec AP702, ozone, GEO nilsen, 3x250w ROIIIs. Will get back into the SPS game someday....

That's a lot of light for a fowlr. You should at least put some softies or lps in there.

--Rick

Well Rick, it WAS a SPS tank, I just don't have the time. Now it's a fish poop algae generating machine....

Back