o2manyfish - Skimmer Comparison

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Reefologist,

Cleaning is easy - I have vinegar and a pressure washer.

The Euro-Reef is the skimmer I ran for just under 2 years and it handled the 1400g SPS system. In that 2 years, I broke 2 shafts, burned up 1 Sedra Pump, and never removed the chamber to clean it. I ran my RO waste water through the collection cup, and every couple of weeks would wipe the riser tube.

Dave B

Reefologist,

I felt that the EuroReef handled the load just fine. When I added a commercial sized RK-2 skimmer to the system, it did not perform significantly different than the Euro-Reef.

MCSock -- Hey Rich,

I am not sure about the Ozone hook up. It does not appear to, but I can't send an email and find out more tomorrow.

Dave B

Can't see the collection cup of Brian's custom skimmer. Can't Madison get some nicer camera equipment from his job? I WANT HD! I WANT HD!

I asked Dave about that too. He said the skimmer is 4.5' tall. That makes it kind of hard to fit in the pic. Pierce, if you want HD, just send me a check :)

The Collection Cup of Brian Skimmers is about 18" above the picture frame :) -- I don't have a spot to mount the camera to reach that.

And if I did remount the camera you would loose some of the detail. Earlier today when the sun was out you could see the bubbles in the Aqua C.

Also I haven't had a chance to post the photos yet, but inside the tank with the skimmers, the over flow has been located in center of the tank.

The water entering the test tank, is coming through a distribution bar on the bottom center of the tank with two upward facing outlets.

The water in the skim tank is quite turbulent. The test tank has roughly 30 gallons of water in it, and I estimate has close to 1500gph flowing through it.

So the water throughout the tank is well mixed, and should give all skimmers equal opportunity to the organics in the tank. (Darn -that was a hard sentence write)

Dave B

No one noticed, but Dave missed the Johnny Boy skimmer in the background.
Pros: Single lever cleaning, No power consumption, designed for massive amounts of waste!
Cons: Doesn't fit under most tanks or fit in most sumps.

skimmers_1.jpg

Sorry Dave, I just had to! :lol:

LOL.

Yes, and bubble production can be greatly enhanced by standing in front of the unit and creating a "free fall" effect with the input.

I missed seeing that when I was there last week. Dave - Is this seat here to give you somewhere to sit and think while doing maintenance?

Mike

VegasMike said:
LOL.

Yes, and bubble production can be greatly enhanced by standing in front of the unit and creating a "free fall" effect with the input.

I missed seeing that when I was there last week. Dave - Is this seat here to give you somewhere to sit and think while doing maintenance?

Mike

Isn't that where everyone does their best thinking??? :D

Wonder if people would talk if I put one in my office. :oops:

Hey Guys,

Well we are at the end of Week 1 - Day 3. I posted some photos of the 3 contenders in the "Skimmer Being Tested" thread.

Any questions or comments either post them to this thread, or start up a new thread in the Skimmer Comparison Sub-Forum.

Dave B

Chuck, i haven't seen it lately but the times I did see it running it was producing pretty dark skim and quite a bit of it. I don't know what to expect from it, or what you got out of it, but it looked like it was doing a good job when I saw it before.

Also, you got PM

skimmer facts, in dave's skimmer thread, would be nice if you could add

air / hour

bubble size

noise factor

warranty

diameter, 8" / 10" / 12"

hight

foam consistency

features (if any)

those are some main points, which are not on the "Facts"

Heinz,

I thought someone had access to the air flow and water flow meters. But I have not gotten any of that yet.

I have a sound meter, so I can measure the noise.

Foam Consistency is considered subjective and an opinion by some people :)

Hm, looks nice and sunny in L.A. I'm freezing and there's no snow.....You're right Madison, the GEO looks like it's performing now.

Back