• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Reef Frontiers and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

OBD Signature Protein Skimmer Owners Forum

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Ichthys

I thought it might be a good idea to have a forum for OBD Premier Protein Skimmer owners to share their experiences, tricks, tweeks, and other information about their skimmers.

006_zps9692a9a0.jpg
So I purchased mine last weekend, I am very happy with the build quality and the look of the skimmer. I will be getting it wet tonight and am placing it in the sump as I write this. I also purchased the bio pellet reactor with it, and so mine feeds with the maxijet up thru the reactor then into the skimmer. Will post pics later tonight. I was surprised at first that there was no drain fitting on the collection cup, but then it dawned on me this collection cup is huge and probably holds 2 quarts of liquid. Still, if i had to do over I would ask for a drain, i like not having to remove the cup and just emptying an external reservoir.

Last edited:
you can put one on your self. its not that hard or you might be able to get mike to add it real quick. I thought about adding one to mine but the drain collection is prolly smaller than the collection cup.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2.

Yes we can add a drain Danny. We would just need the cup back for a quick retro-fit.

If you add a drain be sure to have a water detector that shuts the power down to the pump. I have an issue with my going crazy during the night and if wasn't for the water detector I would have flooded my basement a few times now. Its not the skimmer doing it but I have something spawning in my tank or what ever it is but it changes skimming slowly once the lights are out and around midnight its foaming pretty good. Now mine took little over a week before it was broken in so be sure to be patient and not try to adjust it until after at least a week unless its over skimming.

How often should we clean the airstone and is there a special chemical or process for it? I see some people boil them, soak them in vinegar, or use a store bought product. What is suggested?

If I remember right Eric said soak in vinegar/water over night rinse and that's it and it only needs to be done once a year

Plus 10 for Oceans By Design Customer Service AGAIN! Eric stopped by the house after work to take a look at my skimmer which was skimming a bit wet, and to drop off a pump he had replaced the seal on. I am sure they want to go home after a long day at work just like anyone else, and I sincerely appreciate them stopping by to make a house call.
PS Thanks Becca for the CuC.

I also purchased the bio pellet reactor with it, and so mine feeds with the maxijet up thru the reactor then into the skimmer.

Have you put in pellets yet? I did a week or two ago and I'm getting a major bacteria bloom - cloudy tank. I also used Dr. Tim's waste away, and that could be contributing to the cloudiness too. I used 1/2 cup of pellets, I have a 112 gallon tank and 30 gallon sump, so it's only about 1/4 of the recommended dosage to start. All livestock seems to be doing fine, so I'm just kind of waiting it out. Seems to have cleared a little this morning.

I added a pellet reactor when I installed my new skimmer all purchased at OBD its plumbed into the skimmer but no cloudy ness from the reactor I am guessing something else is contributing to your cloudy water.

Pellet reactors are new for me so I don't know if they can cloud up your tank or not I just know there was a huge difference in my corals, larger polyp extention faster growth everything looks healthier.

I think adding the pellet reactor to a new tank can cause cloudy water. I possibly should have waited a little longer until I had more bio load. The Waste Away also contributed too, but it was a little cloudy before I added it in.

OBD Skimmer has been running for close to a month now, is past break in period and has settled down and skims consistently and well. I am happy with it.

The bio pellet reactor didn't cloud my water?

Mine is perfectly clear now. I think my cloudiness was caused by Dr. Tim's Wasteaway. My pellet reactor/skimmer combination is working great! Nitrates are at zero. If they start to go up, I add 1/2 cup of pellets. Right now I have 1 cup in it. That's enough for about 50 gallons, about a third of what I have in my tank and sump. I figure I'm only going to add it on an as-needed basis.

Ok, so I have to start by introducing myself, my name is Carlos and I'm so lucky that I somehow end up with OBD premium protein skimmer, I will be setting up my 180 shortly and I'm in the planing stages for my refugium, I got a 55 standard acrylic, 48x15x18 tall, so my question is how deep should I do baffles on skimmer area or at what height the skimmer works best.
Thanks in advance

how deep should I do baffles on skimmer area or at what height the skimmer works best.

I don't think the height matters since it has an air stone system. I adjust mine with a gate valve between the pellet reactor and the skimmer, a gate valve coming out of the skimmer, and a valve for adjusting the air.

Back