• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Reef Frontiers and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

OBD Signature Protein Skimmer Owners Forum

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

My skimmer is been running for 2 days with a full tank bioload and for some reason I cannot fine tune, I put a small valve to control the amount of air going into skimmer it runs ok for a few hours then it goes crazyz either overflows or underflows, that seems to happen late nite when overflows and daytime is the opposite, any ideas,

Sounds like you may have the water in the body a little to high.
Too close to the edge...............

My skimmer is been running for 2 days with a full tank bioload and for some reason I cannot fine tune, I put a small valve to control the amount of air going into skimmer it runs ok for a few hours then it goes crazyz either overflows or underflows, that seems to happen late nite when overflows and daytime is the opposite, any ideas,

Take it out drain and wipe the inside clean with vinegar. Fresh new acrylic can disrupt the ability to build a nice biofilm and make a skimmer act weird.

Don

I have my air running full blast and I adjust the two gate valves to get it to skim right. Don't know why it would be different day and night. Don is probably right, needs to get broken in.

I have my air running full blast and I adjust the two gate valves to get it to skim right. Don't know why it would be different day and night. Don is probably right, needs to get broken in.

Thats how its supposed to happen. Have you ever noticed that when you stick your hands in the tank skimmer production slows. Your skimmer does not have a good biofilm. The surface tension changes from day to night. So basicly at night when your skimmer is overflowing that is when its working like it should. Meaning you have your water level way to high. Adjust it down to the point that it no longer overflows. When you look at it during the day it will look all screwed up and way to low but its not, just give it time. Cleaning with vinegar will help.

Don

With the lights out is when the microscopic critters and other things that would normally get eaten during the lighted periods (also their are more spawning type events) thus the skimmer gets more organic and inorganic materials going through it. So it tends to go into a hyper state.

To tune it, squeeze the air tube until their is no air going into the skimmer, from their adjust your water level so that it sits right at the black ring level. This is a good spot to start fine tuning. Remember nothing in a skimmer reacts right away, it could take hours for it to hit a constant state. SO once you get the water level their turn the air back on, it should bring the water/air bubble mass up to the top of the twist off ring. Let it be their for a couple hours and then check it again and make any fine tuning you may need to.

hope it helps

Mike

.......To tune it, squeeze the air tube until their is no air going into the skimmer, ............. Mike
From the Alita AL 40 manual page 4 "Do not block or restrict pump discharge. Excessive back pressures can stress and shorten the service life of pump
diaphragms and may lead to pump damages"

Not sure restricting the airflow is a good idea, better to just turn off the air pump for a few minutes..... unless of course you're selling Alita Pumps lol

Take it out drain and wipe the inside clean with vinegar. Fresh new acrylic can disrupt the ability to build a nice biofilm and make a skimmer act weird.

Don
done that after testing for water leaks, today it seemed a little more stable, thanks for all your comments and help

From the Alita AL 40 manual page 4 "Do not block or restrict pump discharge. Excessive back pressures can stress and shorten the service life of pump
diaphragms and may lead to pump damages"

Not sure restricting the airflow is a good idea, better to just turn off the air pump for a few minutes..... unless of course you're selling Alita Pumps lol

good to know, im using a valve to adjust air to skimmer, i will remove tonite then, thanks Ichthys

With the lights out is when the microscopic critters and other things that would normally get eaten during the lighted periods (also their are more spawning type events) thus the skimmer gets more organic and inorganic materials going through it. So it tends to go into a hyper state.

To tune it, squeeze the air tube until their is no air going into the skimmer, from their adjust your water level so that it sits right at the black ring level. This is a good spot to start fine tuning. Remember nothing in a skimmer reacts right away, it could take hours for it to hit a constant state. SO once you get the water level their turn the air back on, it should bring the water/air bubble mass up to the top of the twist off ring. Let it be their for a couple hours and then check it again and make any fine tuning you may need to.

hope it helps

Mike

Thanks Mike, i will try and see what happens, will try to post some picture links to dropbox, so far is the only way i know how to post pictures

If I needed to reduce the airflow to my skimmer I would put a tee in the line and valve the line going to the skimmer, the excess would then exit thru the tee, I have seen people use an air-stone at the end of the tee for this purpose. I'm not saying that valving without a tee would harm it, but I'm a little OCD and err on the side of caution every time. Of course I am the kind of guy who buys special soap to wash my hands with before touching aquarium stuff.. I have been called excessive lol

I don't think it's any big deal. I've got one too, but mine's wide open. Eric suggested it for me.

If I needed to reduce the airflow to my skimmer I would put a tee in the line and valve the line going to the skimmer, the excess would then exit thru the tee, I have seen people use an air-stone at the end of the tee for this purpose. I'm not saying that valving without a tee would harm it, but I'm a little OCD and err on the side of caution every time. Of course I am the kind of guy who buys special soap to wash my hands with before touching aquarium stuff.. I have been called excessive lol

Yea if you have the air from the pump heavily restricted for a long period of time it will heat up the bellow and they wear quicker. But for a quick few second test you will be fine. Also having it slightly restricted is not a real issue, but bleeding it off is always the better option.

Just in case their is anyone that wants to know.

Before a bubble can form it must be coated with what is called surfactants. So in the process of making foam the surfactants come first and various other things then attach to the surfactant and then get processed. Many things can stop the coating of surfactants, such as oils and similar. So if you look at your bubbles and they are just popping as quickly as they are being formed you know your not getting the surfactant build up. You can see this by your skimmer stopping bubble production after you put your hands in the tank or after feedings and so on.

When a skimmer is first made it takes a bit for the bi-products of building to dissipate. Also biologically you are now changing the environment in your tank, you are unsettling it by removing everything from organics to free floating algae, bacteria and so on. So this kind of gets the pendulum swinging again and it will take a few weeks for the take parameter to settle to the point where you dont get biological swings anymore.

Mike

Sorry for stealing you post.
I have a question for Mike. where are those light Helios in your website? are we out of stock or you donot sell them any more? Curious?
Regards
zip70

Back