Octupus Xtreme skimmer

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Got the PS-150 in the other day. Ran water/vinegar for a couple of hours. Been in sump for 2 days now and no skimmage. Water is a level 8 inches. Strange thing is that one moment it started to skim and having bubbles go up the tube, moments later it stopped. Any ideas?:mad:

how is it octopus feed, by pump or by gravity. you need at least 2x tank volume.

My skimmer did the same thing. I just let it run a couple of weeks and it started working. I guess it takes a while to settle in.

Got the PS-150 in the other day. Ran water/vinegar for a couple of hours. Been in sump for 2 days now and no skimmage. Water is a level 8 inches. Strange thing is that one moment it started to skim and having bubbles go up the tube, moments later it stopped. Any ideas?:mad:
it sounds like something is wrong, did you check for obstructions in the air line/venturi and pump inlet?

Good day all,

I wanted to pass this message along I received from Marine Solutions today. It appears they are aware of some buyers challenges with their mesh mod:

You are receiving this email because you have purchased an MSX skimmer from Marine Solutions.

Since we have started to ship these skimmers, some have noticed that they have start up issues with their pumps or that they may not be able to completely close the volute. If you happen to be one of these people, we invite you to send your pump(s) back to us for servicing. We have found that the zip ties that hold the mesh on the impeller plate may rub against the pump body; we have a method of machining a relief groove in the pump which will allow the pumps to start up in a reliable fashion. You will also be able to completely seat the volute into the pump assembly.

This is a completely optional service we are offering. There is no cost to you for the service other than what you pay to ship the pump to us.

Please complete the following steps:
-You will need to remove the pump from you skimmer.
-Dry it off the best that you can.
-Pack it in a manner that it will not get broken during transit. It would be a good idea to insure the pump through your shipper. Marine Solutions can not be held responsible for damage during shipping. Replacement pumps are $139.99!
-Mark the package with your return address so that it is legible! We need to know where to send the pump when we have finished our work! Also, if you have your order number, please mark that on the package somewhere too.
-Ship the pump to:
Marine Solutions
5012 Lytle Rd
Waynesville, OH 45068

Marine Solutions will machine the pump and get it back out to you as quickly as we can. We are sensitive that your system will be without a skimmer while your pump is being serviced.

Anyhow if you haven't already modded your pump, you may want to look into this offer.

Cheers,

Chris

would the msx200 or the msx250 be more appropriate for a total volume of 150 gallon system? (125 display, 25 sump). Price is no issue.

You really don't need more than the 200 as its way plenty. Its pulling 14w and 50scfh! Which is good up to a 225g tank imo. The 250 pulls nearly twice that. But both will work just fine.

listen to luke...
you dont want the 250 on a total of 150g.
at barrier reef our 550g sps display/frag system is skimmed by an ATI bm250,
identical air and water processing to the msx 250, and it is plenty of skimmer for 550g, making it waaay too much for a 150g.

You seem to have some deep relationship with your skimmer. Get over it, its just a skimmer.
Don

I think you hit the nail on the head DonW. Seems to me that this gentlemen Luke33 is financially linked with this company offered this product. He is by far the most vocal advocate of this skimmer both on this site as well as Reef Central. I have never seen any thread where somebody is as obsessed with a skimmer as Luke33 on the SWC skimmers, unless of course they worked for the company. Maybe he got some free skimmers from them if not money, but regardless, he will no doubt refute my claims that he is financially linked with them. Regardless of his hyping the product, the skimmer seems to be a decent value for what it is.

You can't tell anything by "it has a nice foam head" you must see and test the skimmer with an air meter and kill o watt.

Thats the silliest thing I ever heard. Water flow through and air capacity are just two factors to determine a skimmers effectiveness. Design of the body is paramount to an effective skimmer. There are many designs such as a conical body, bubble plates, etc. that many skimmers manufacturers are trying to explore to set their skimmers apart but their correct incorporation into the design seems to be lacking.

Looking at a foam head and the actual results of the skimmate collected is probably the easiest and most telling way to see how well a skimmer if performing.

For example, the swc160 performs much worse then the swc200. Why? Because the body cannot handle those pumps. It is way too small. So even though the water and air numbers are impressive, they don't mean much if they body is not correctly matched to them. There is a lot more to skimmer development then simply water and air capacity I'm sure you know, so your comment seems a bit unusual that look at a foam head will not tell you anything and that you must see the water and air numbers, don't you think?

if that's the silliest thing you've ever heard, then i dont know what to tell you...

what the hell is wrong with wanting a little data from air and watt meters?
the foam head inside a skimmer can be effected by so many factors
(ie;feeding, bioload, maintenance regime, weather, chemical dosing, other filtration present,etc...)
that it is in comparison to actual air/watt meter readings, a poor judge of actual performance.
now granted, i've modded many o skimmer without no stinking meters...
but, i do this professionally for a living...
do they help you fine tune your modifications?? yes!
is it a good idea to use these devices before chopping up your new investment of several hundreds of dollars? hell yes!!

the mighty skimerwhisperer has spoken, nuff said...now everyone go... and be at peace with the world and your protein skimmer.
no more of this childish bickering...constuctive criticism from here on out, lest ye be smote by skimzor!!!! :D:):lol:

Thats the silliest thing I ever heard. Water flow through and air capacity are just two factors to determine a skimmers effectiveness. Design of the body is paramount to an effective skimmer. There are many designs such as a conical body, bubble plates, etc. that many skimmers manufacturers are trying to explore to set their skimmers apart but their correct incorporation into the design seems to be lacking.

Looking at a foam head and the actual results of the skimmate collected is probably the easiest and most telling way to see how well a skimmer if performing.

For example, the swc160 performs much worse then the swc200. Why? Because the body cannot handle those pumps. It is way too small. So even though the water and air numbers are impressive, they don't mean much if they body is not correctly matched to them. There is a lot more to skimmer development then simply water and air capacity I'm sure you know, so your comment seems a bit unusual that look at a foam head will not tell you anything and that you must see the water and air numbers, don't you think?

I think everyone test in a mannor that they have at their disposal. That may be right or wrong but there is only so many test that we as hobbiest can perform. I agree there is more to it than just airflow and amperage draw but thats about all we have at our disposal short of lab testing the skimmate and/or tank water. If a skimmer is working well the proof is in the display which is the whole reason we have skimmers to begin with.

Don

I hope my posts did not come across negatively for Luke33. I read many of his posts on different topics and he is a most helpful gentlemen, and a valuable asset to many. But regardless if he is linked to the company or not, he has been tremendously helpful to people seeking advice on this skimmer and we all appreciate it.

Skimerwhisperer, of course i was exaggerating that it was the silliest thing i ever heard, but it did seem like an odd statement to make. Numbers are great to know but i don't think "you cant tell anything by looking at the foam head" is a valid statement, ya know?

"You can't tell anything by "it has a nice foam head" you must see and test the skimmer with an air meter and kill o watt."

I have nothing to do with marine solutions. Anyhow, after reading the silly post i'll still share my mods to the msx200 : )

Ok, so i got a MSX200 skimmer a month ago and after running it and seeing it was a clear winner, decided to turn it into a recirc. So here's the specs on it. 22" tall, 4.5" neck diameter, 8" reaction chamber, sicce 2500 running it pulling 20w and 45scfh. Feeder pump is 300gph. Basically you need these parts, one 1/2" uniseal for the feeder pump and one 1" uniseal for the pump input. One 1" elbo female fitting, a small piece of 1" pvc and a small piece of 1/2" pvc along with a female 1/2" and a 1/2" hose barb male threaded elbo. Anyhow pics are worth a million bux.

MSXRecirc1.jpg

MSXRecirc2.jpg

MSXRecirc3.jpg

MSXRecirc4.jpg

Here it is first put in my sump

MSXRecirc5.jpg

MSXRecirc6.jpg

And here it is 15hrs later, its reaaaaallly pullin out some nog now, pry 2 cups of dark green in the first 24hrs. Pics were after 15 hrs, i'll see if i can get a few more pics later.

MSX22-23-08.jpg

MSX12-23-08.jpg

MSX32-23-08.jpg

Luke

Still using the sicce for the recirc pump and i'm feeding it with a laguna pump thats 300gph at 19w. Its pulling some crazy nog. It pulled this in the second 24hrs. The smornin when i looked at it before i headed to work it was nearly double this and getting dark.

MSX12-24-08.jpg

MSX22-24-08.jpg

I'll try to update it tonight with a 48hr update.

Luke

Back