One week after set up and tank done cycling????

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

319FJOPXebL._SS500_.jpg

This is it. It sux....actually Salifert is what the guy at the store uses....and I will end up converting over to that by this weekend. :)

Yeah...Never tried the brand in the pic you posted, but if you check most polls and thread, most people will recommend Salifert :)

I had VERY similar results with that test kit. I went to the IO kits and have been right in line with the LFS ever since.

Its been a month and almost a half and the tank looks like:

Tank_9_10.JPG

Chemistry as of yesterday was:

TEST RESULTS
PH 8.3
NH3 ppm
NO2 0.1 ppm
NO3 ppm
PO4 0.2 ppm
Salinity 1.021
Temp 80.8

Temp is a little high and my salinity is a little low...just did a water change about 3 days ago...but everything is doing well. We had one catastrophe when the 12 line wrass jumped the barrier and fell in behind where the powerhead is...I started missing him so I searched and found him hung up on the intake of the pump very much alive but was for sure in distress. I got him back in the main tank but he died that night and we had to take the rock apart a bit to find him. Other then that though everything is doing well.

Now I just need to find a good deal on a tank set up....Stacey and I are searching around for a 72 gal to 90 gal tank with decent lighting for sps as well as easy accessability. Our deal will come soon ;)

Congrats! Your tank looks great. Sorry to hear about your loss though, but if that's as bad as it gets then your doing great! :)

Hey the tank looks great for a month and a half, I hope all goes well for you on this project. Isn't it addictive how you get one tank going and immediately start thinking about the next bigger tank:rolleyes:. That is why we are all broke:D.
I would recommend slowing down though and give what you have a chance to mature a lot more.

Tim

1.021 sg is too low to have corals and snails in.
I would bring it up to 1.025 or 1.026. The tank looks nice. congrats!

Its eating the crap out of the copepods...

and a friend's Naso (temp)

When are you going to start charging Wayne room and board for that tang you guys can't catch?

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOOL Those tangs can poop BIG!

OH and Krish helped me get my nitrates from off the chart to better. I still struggle with them. Scooterman also helped. I used to have a deep sand bed and "dead" live rock. My tank is a work in progress. (Aren't they all) Your tank looks great. Tell your wife I love her zoa's!

Last edited:
nice job dude... you rock looks great when you got it... thats probly why your tank cylced so fast..

my tank also cycled fast/ didnt cycle my rock and first 30 gals of water came from the same tank.. so i really jumped started it.

everyone has lost something at some point or another.. so dont worry just keep in mind its a small tank. so things will happen faster then larger tanks.

why people say it happens quickly i dont understand. But then ageain ive never had a large large tank...
looks good...

just sit and wait on it now.. you need to let it grow and see what happens.

the only thing i can say for sure and with some stress. is little changes sometimes dont show up for a while sometimes it shows up right away.

Good luck..
stay on thos water changes!

Actually, I was watching him after feeding some brine shrimp and some sort of frozen algae and he started munching like crazy on the shrimp. So I must be getting lucky ;)

Just be careful that brine shrimp is not the only thing he eats, it doesn't have much nutrition and the fish will starve. It does make a good transition food from live to prepared though.

After 2.5 months...

Well its been 2 and a half months. Mostly good things have happened...couple of bad things which is to be expected. My wife bought a toadstool and it did great then developed some sort of spot that started to eat a hole in it...after a week it was a lost caused. Luckily I had placed it in the frag tank before it liquidfied and stunk to high heavens. Anyways...some pics:

Whole tank as of today:
2099210_13_07_Vga.JPG

Frogspawn:
20992frogspawn-med.JPG

Hammer coral:
20992hammer_coral-med.JPG

Our clown (sorry for the top quality pic...doesn't know how to stay still):
20992Clown-med.JPG

Our mandarin:
20992Mandarin-med.JPG

Some more pics:

Never knew a mandarin that smiled:
20992SMILE-med.JPG

Mushrooms?:
20992mushrooms-med.JPG

Does anyone know what this is? It was a hitchiker:
20992Not_sure-med.JPG

Snails racing:
20992snail_race-med.JPG

Meeting of the minds:
20992Meeting_of_minds-med.JPG

And these were some rescue trumpet corals from our local FS. They were on the verge of being dead and the guy gave them to me. Well after some TLC they came back:
20992Trumpet_coral-med.JPG

Man what lfs gave that for free? I know theres one here by me not going to say the name but its off of canyon rd in puyallup, they rather let it die then sell it at a discount or donate it to some one that can save it.

Back