Orientation of Lumenarc reflectors?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I don't think that it matters much, as long as you have it shiny side down lol

I think the depth (front to back) of the tank makes a difference. I have a 130 gal that is 72" long x 18" deep x 24" tall. Originally I installed the mh lights (cheap retrofit kit, with basic reflectors) perpendicular to the long side of the tank and I did not get good coverage, a lot of light was hitting the front and back of the canopy, I changed them to be parallel with the long side of the tank and get much better coverage. However, I do not know that it would have made much of a difference if my tank was 24" deep.

I think the depth (front to back) of the tank makes a difference. I have a 130 gal that is 72" long x 18" deep x 24" tall. Originally I installed the mh lights (cheap retrofit kit, with basic reflectors) perpendicular to the long side of the tank and I did not get good coverage, a lot of light was hitting the front and back of the canopy, I changed them to be parallel with the long side of the tank and get much better coverage. However, I do not know that it would have made much of a difference if my tank was 24" deep.

it does'nt matter with the lumenarcs you have great reflection either way.

Thanks for all the input everyone.
FFrankie, I had checked out those Lumen Bright reflectors, they're too big for what I want, plus I didn't see one that appeared to be fitted for DE lamps. My plan is to have these mounted in a canopy along with three 55 watt PC lamps that will be mounted perpendicular to the front.
The tank that I'm setting up here is a 120 (4x2x2).
I believe that I read somewhere that the pattern on the LIIIs is pretty much square.

Does anyone know if the quality of the LA3 is better than PFO for the 400W DE? I have experienced socket arching problems that have cost me some expensive bulbs and when you take them apart the quality is apparent. The thumb nuts for the wire are brittle after very little use.

Does anyone know if the quality of the LA3 is better than PFO for the 400W DE? I have experienced socket arching problems that have cost me some expensive bulbs and when you take them apart the quality is apparent. The thumb nuts for the wire are brittle after very little use.

I would think the sockets have a lot to do with that. The reflector material I bet is about the same type just polished or conformed differently. Your talking about 400Watts & lots of heat, that will play havoc on the sockets if not cooled enough. Not sure how tight or enclosed the PFO's are but you want as big & open reflector you can get to allow a broader light coverage & better cooling, less heat build up.

lizardarm - just to reaffirm, it doesn't matter which way Lumenarc reflectors are oriented. Here is the original test done on reflectors. You can see how the Lumenarcs have a square light distribution: Analyzing Reflectors Part I by Sanjay Joshi and Timothy Marks

For more reflector tests, see: Reeftank Lighting Research. Scroll down to Reflectors

Scooty, MH light bulbs and sockets are made to run w/o cooling, and should not be directly cooled. So if you are having problems w/ the moguls or the DE socket holders it is a quality problem.

Frankie are those much better then the LIII's?

I never had LIII reflectors so i couldn't tell you if there better. The guy i bought them from is changing out all his with the lumen brights though. I am completely satisfied with the lumen brights! I never knew my tank could look this good.
lizardarm, your right. I have not seen them for DE either.

Scooty, MH light bulbs and sockets are made to run w/o cooling, and should not be directly cooled. So if you are having problems w/ the moguls or the DE socket holders it is a quality problem.

Yea I meant natural air flow or radiant air flow, as in more area of reflector, not use with fans. When you compare a tight pendant to & open reflector it is much hotter, which is harder on the parts, ie. wiring, even though it shouldn't affect ceramic.

Back