• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Reef Frontiers and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Packaged LED lighting designed and built locally

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Herefishyfishy

Smart Bass
I am sooo happy with my set of LED modules that I bought from OBD, overjoyed is a better term. They have made life vastly easier to keep the tank and inhabitants happy and growing. The colors are amazing and had to go out and buy new heaters just to keep the system warm. My chiller will be for sale this summer as the excess heat is gone. All this while running them on a ramping program that maxes out at 60% and with them 12" above the water!!! Have mine on an Apex controller, but they are compatible with lower cost digital controllers or just use the onboard rheostats to hand fine tune them yourself. I did that the first few weeks while waiting for the Apex and was satisfied.

Will post pictures later, but better yet go check out their new store and see the lights for yourself. The pricing will blow your mind, on a par (pun) with DIY yet assembled in a nice complete package ready to be hung or mounted.
If anyone buys these and owns an Apex, I will offer some help in the programming as getting pretty decent at it.

Last edited:
Ohh, I am sooo jealous.

After getting a led fixture for my 50 gallon tank, I want so much to convert the 240 over.
Getting rid of the chiller and mh/vho lighting would be heaven.

The electric company came out to find out why we were no longer a big customer.
I bet they will pay for themselves in short order with not only power savings, but not having to buy 7 pricey bulbs every year.
Ohh, I am sooo jealous.

After getting a led fixture for my 50 gallon tank, I want so much to convert the 240 over.
Getting rid of the chiller and mh/vho lighting would be heaven.

The electric company came out to find out why we were no longer a big customer.
I bet they will pay for themselves in short order with not only power savings, but not having to buy 7 pricey bulbs every year.

I need to figure out the actual cost of my mh lighting.
Kind of hard to estamate the chiller cost since it doesn't run all the time.

Thanks Mike. Amazing tank as always.

Not sure if that is really your FB settings, but I can see it without logging in, it is in public maybe?. Not sure if that is what you want, but just FYI.

Which ones did you get?
How many?

Got three of the small ones, 120w Helios by Ocean By Design. They are only running at 60% and the par levels are higher than recommended. Amazing porer, hands down the highest bang for the buck available. Mike and Eric with the help from many in the community, really pulled off an excellent product.

OBD Helios 120w LED Aquarium Fixture| | | Fixtures| Oceans by Design| Your one stop shop for custom glass aquariums| Oceans by Design| Westar| Welcome to Oceans by Design

congrats fishy! could you copy and paste programming from your apex to give us an idea of how you programed it? I'm considering them also....but have a 74x36x27 build coming up and thats a BUNCH of led's.

congrats fishy! could you copy and paste programming from your apex to give us an idea of how you programed it? I'm considering them also....but have a 74x36x27 build coming up and thats a BUNCH of led's.
You could do that easily with 3 smalls or if you really wanted, three large ones. The output on these has to be seen to be believed. I will start a thread on this forum for lighting code ideas.

When did you pick them up?
Month ago, perhaps less. Took longer to get Apex going, was sent a bad EB8 and had to have factory replace it and then figure outcoding to way I liked it.

Haha thats funny i had a bad Controller and temp probe out the box and had to have both replaced. But its a sweet setup all around. do you have your Apex set for remote controll and Video Streaming as of yet?

Haha thats funny i had a bad Controller and temp probe out the box and had to have both replaced. But its a sweet setup all around. do you have your Apex set for remote controll and Video Streaming as of yet?
Have hardwired to computor, no remote nor streaming as of yet. Been very busy just getting lights right.

Let me know when you are and if tou have any snags i have mine set for the remote access and video streaming.
Thanks
Darryl

You could do that easily with 3 smalls or if you really wanted, three large ones. The output on these has to be seen to be believed. I will start a thread on this forum for lighting code ideas.

with a 6x3 tank 27 tall wouldn't I need at least 6 large ones for full tank coverage?

with a 6x3 tank 27 tall wouldn't I need at least 6 large ones for full tank coverage?

For a tank 6x3, I would center three large ones and have them perhaps 12-15" high as needed for spread. I almost bought the big ones untill saw the output and elected to go smaller. Even with them, running at 60%. My previous light was three 250w halides and four 96w CFs, all burning at once. 1/2 hp clipper to keep it all cool. Could probably get by with less for raising LPS and softies.

Back