• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Reef Frontiers and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Packaged LED lighting designed and built locally

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

We will be there in about 20 min.

Eric
Oceans by Design
1055 Andover Park E
Tukwila, WA 98188
206-575-5006

Kipiotrowski, I hear Mojo made a special trip to your house to demonstrate the lights par for you. What did you think?

Last edited:
Kipiotrowski, I here Mojo made a special trip to your house to demonstrate the lights par for you. What did you think?

Now that I am done cooking...and eating steak,lobster,crab....and shrimp, I will respond. Honestly I am still stuck on needing 4. I agree that it can be done with 3...and for that matter 2?

Mike did show me how 3 would get pretty good coverage but also agreed that Idealy it would be 4. For my last attempt to explain why I don't like the idea of going with only 3 I will say, You have roughly a 11x16 inch fixture. to run them all lengthwise across a 36 in deep tank is relying on the 11 inch wide side to light that 36 inch area. if it was a 72x24....or even 72x30 I would be fine with 3. perhaps even a 6 puck in the middle and two 4 pucks on the sides.

Bottom line is after one spends the many thousands of dollars getting a larger tank up and running, I'm not gonna skimp on the last $369 Especially when it comes to the lights! makes no sence! Spread them out and run them at less power. more even coverage. right?

Heck, I might be willing to drive to Buckley to see your finished system. In less than 3 weeks, my corals are already coloring up better than under my halides. Some others just put in there a few days ago are already looking better. I do understand on the plan, why go 95% of all the way :)

Mike
Now that I am done cooking...and eating steak,lobster,crab....and shrimp, I will respond. Honestly I am still stuck on needing 4. I agree that it can be done with 3...and for that matter 2?

Mike did show me how 3 would get pretty good coverage but also agreed that Idealy it would be 4. For my last attempt to explain why I don't like the idea of going with only 3 I will say, You have roughly a 11x16 inch fixture. to run them all lengthwise across a 36 in deep tank is relying on the 11 inch wide side to light that 36 inch area. if it was a 72x24....or even 72x30 I would be fine with 3. perhaps even a 6 puck in the middle and two 4 pucks on the sides.

Bottom line is after one spends the many thousands of dollars getting a larger tank up and running, I'm not gonna skimp on the last $369 Especially when it comes to the lights! makes no sence! Spread them out and run them at less power. more even coverage. right?

Its one of those tweeners. We did some par testing and we are getting strong par readings 42 inches off the bottom but with his tank being 3 feet front to back we were dropping of a bit (to 220?? I believe) towards the front of the tank. Its one of those things where he wants stronger par up front but with three you would have to crank the lights up and then you would get par armageddon on the top of the rock work??? I know where Kev is coming from and four would make it so that he gets solid coverage all over and then would not have to crank the lights to even 50% I would bet.

Like I said big fellow it takes nothing to throw 3 up their and if it dont fly then a fouth its but a plug in away. Let me know when you get the tank on the stand in the garage and I will come on down and we can work through a plumbing plan, flow design and so on no problem.

MOjo

fishy mike...any time, but what really has needed to happen in the last 2 years if for me to come to your neck of the woods and drool all over that stand of yours ( as I belive is posted a long time ago.)

mojo mike...the wheels are turning and my last though was going with 3 six puckers and several PAR bulbs to highlight rockwork, especialy in the back to give more depth perception. don't want to take over this thread though, so I will leave it at, and as I have always said, the fixtures that OBD offers is definatley the "most bang for the buck"! and also very solid constuction compared to all the "china boxes" out there.

Its one of those tweeners. We did some par testing and we are getting strong par readings 42 inches off the bottom but with his tank being 3 feet front to back we were dropping of a bit (to 220?? I believe) towards the front of the tank. Its one of those things where he wants stronger par up front but with three you would have to crank the lights up and then you would get par armageddon on the top of the rock work??? I know where Kev is coming from and four would make it so that he gets solid coverage all over and then would not have to crank the lights to even 50% I would bet.

Like I said big fellow it takes nothing to throw 3 up their and if it dont fly then a fouth its but a plug in away. Let me know when you get the tank on the stand in the garage and I will come on down and we can work through a plumbing plan, flow design and so on no problem.

MOjo

Sounds like you guys got it all figured out, hopefully we get to see some pictures.

When i read this initially i thought you said "parmageddon", use that one next time =)

Back