Parasitic worm on Regal Angel?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

My Regal has it too!

I came across this thread and had comment. I also have a regal (philippine) that I have had for about 2 months. I have not seen her actualy eat, but she does show interest. I figure she must be eating somthing because she still alive and is not emaciated. However, would like to see her be a little more beefy. Afraid she will die of starvation or malnutrition if she doesnt become more bold.
She has the very same "parasitic worm-crustacean" sticking to her. In fact, its in the same spot as your fish. It has been there for about 2-3 weeks. At first, I thought it might be a bone sticking out from a fight she may have been in with my queen angel. However, never noticed any lesions or wounds prior to the "thing". The nodule looking thing has remained the same size. My guess is that it is Lymphocystis. The fact she is not eating much brings on a lower resistance to diseases.
I plan on giving her back to my local fish shop. It's not because of the "thing", rather it because she would be better off. She is in a tank that houses three other angels. They are much more bold and make it very hard for her to feel at peace. She is shy compared to the rest of the gang. The other fish are doing just fine together. My blueface does get picked on a bit, but it beause he is new and the smallest. Despite his size, he very bold and eating with the queen and emporator. If the regal was the only angel in the tank, almost certain she would be eating lots more. In general, she is a nice looking fish. Would keep her if I felt she could do well and not just survive.

Mt. Dreamer

A relatively honorable thing to do, to return a fish for the fish's sake. Few do this.

You don't mention the size of your aquarium/display tank. For those large angels a 300+ tank would be ideal. If the Angels are very different in size, they will often get along.

The introduction of a new shy Angelfish to established large Angelfish often doesn't work out. The introduction order is usually the other way around -- shy first. When I stocked my recent 300+ setup with seven Angelfishes I began with a Juv. Goldflake, then two Dwarfs, then an adult Regal, then a transitioning Blueface, then one more Dwarf and finally the Blueline. Size difference between the large Angels were no less than 1.75 inches.

Large Angelfish are so personable. They need good hiding places and after they settle down, can often be seen swimming in the open. But because of their shyness, it is a good reason to quarantine them. During quarantine the owner can get the fish trained to eat -- especially the older ones could use this. The shy ones can learn to eat without competition. But most importantly what if what your Angelfish has will spread to the other fishes?

Lymphocystis is pretty easy to diagnose. Take a look at this photo for example: http://www.wetwebmedia.com/viraldislymph.htm. You'll find many photos on the Internet of this condition. Like the human common cold, it tends to wait around and start up on fish that are weakened from poor nutrition, bad water quality, and/or bad environment -- that is, under various stressors.

A healthy, properly nourished fish captured from the wild can live several weeks without eating.

Good luck! Thanks for sharing. :)

My tank and it occupants

My aquarium is 360 gallon (96"L x 24"W x 36"T). The order the fish were added to the tank was not ideal. However, dont think it would have made a big difference anyway in terms of establishing hierarchy. The outcome would have still been the same regardless which angel was added first (my fish). The added order was: Regal (4"-5"),Queen (5"-6"), Imperator (3"), and Blueface (3"). The queen is with no surprise the boss of the tank. Imperator follows her everywhere, like buds. Blueface holds his own weight eventhough his size is small. The three angels for the most part get along ok. Regal was a impluse buy (not the first time I have done that). She would be much happier if in a tank with no other angels. Angels are graceful swimmers, colorful and like you said have lots of personality. It it for these reason they are my favorite marine fish in the hobby.

Brian (AKA-Mt. Dreamer)

dYou're probably right about the final outcome. I think this grouping is too close in similar sizes.

Back