Pinched Mantle

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

tang_man - Welcome to Reef Frontiers!!!

4.gif

i was just looking at a few pics and noticed that i did NOT have PM symptoms on 8/21/05 or 8/23/05 that was over 1wk of having the "carrier" clam, remember it was a carrier as it hadn't had PM symptoms in over 1yr, introduced into the system. i recieved the "carrier" clam on Aug 14, 2005. the 21 was 7 days later. so i have only been noticing PM for about 1wk then i guess. it hasn't been 2wks.

yesterday my 2 infected clams looked a little better. less pinching but still sliming. my meds are on the way so we will see what happens.

i'm surprised that it took so long to infect the healthy clams.
just thought this info might be important or help out

Lunchbucket

That doesn't suprise me. It probably didn't take that long to actually "infect" the other clams. I'm guessing they were infected within the first day or 2. It took a little longer for the protozoan to reproduce on the clam to a population large enough to start irritating the clam and causing it to pinch. That is my guess anyways. From my past experience. The infection seems to progress fairly slowly. It doesn't just pop up one day. The clams would begin to pinch slightly and it would get worse over time until it stabilized and the clam would not pinch any worse after that.

i hear you travis...makes sense.

i recieved my metra and my prozi today! i just need to set up a QT and get a light on it.

later
Lunchbucket

Lunchbucket said:
i hear you travis...makes sense.

i recieved my metra and my prozi today! i just need to set up a QT and get a light on it.

later
Lunchbucket

your not going to dose both at the same time right?

Ok here is a small take. The problem is protozoan. to kill them the perfered method is antibiotics. The Metro is a antibiotic and showed some signs of promise but it seems that in most cases the protazoan makes a recovery, but I still think antibiotics are the best route. Now metro is more designed to be used in anaerobic conditions so maybe its doent have enough bang for the buck??
I have found a couple of meds that more fit inline with what we are going after, but as always it is risky. So anyone have a clam that is effected that wants to roll the dice????

MIke

Mike - I may be able to get my hands on a clam with PM and do it in QT. I'll let you know tomorrow.

maxx - got the stuff from Dr foster and smith

mojo - i'm game. hell they will prolly die if i don't do anything so lets try something drastic...in a QT of course :D i have 3 clams infected. i could do one w/ metro one w/ your med and one as a control...IF i want to set up 3 tanks :(

Lunchbucket

Ok I am going to check for where I can get the meds from and I will shoot you a pm.

Mike

it's been about 2 weeks since i treated with the prazipro,things were looking good for a while and the treatment did do something to the protozoan but it didn't kill it.im starting to see it slowly return :evil:

Nothing new yet from my end. I'm sorry to hear that the PM is returning after treatment with Prazipro - I was crossing my fingers and toes for you. Unfortunately, this may show the protozoan gets into the clam tissue. Again, just speculation. It seems over and over that the time from any treatment to a return of symptoms is about a week - 2 weeks.

chris&barb - you said things were looking good for awhile, were the clams completely free of any pinching? or was the pinching only "improved"?

well i have not treated and i am not sure i plan to. some have had clams die in treatment or stressed them and IMO if i can leave them in the healthy tank they are best off until we find a definate way to get rid of the crap. this stuff reminds me of the red bug days a couple years ago.

lets just hope they the hold on until we find a perminent cure. i hope mine become immune as Travis's did. IMO they are looking better then they did a week or so ago.

later
Lunchbucket

NaH2O said:
It seems over and over that the time from any treatment to a return of symptoms is about a week - 2 weeks.

Unfortunately, this is sounding exactly like the FW dips. I performed MANY FW dips on my clams and it always came back in 1-2 weeks. It is hard to remember exactly from reading this whole thread but, IIRC, there has only been 2 people that have had success with the metronidazole. One was Barry, and I believe he also flushed his systems. The other was maxxII, and I believe he also used hyposalinity in conjunction with the metro. It seems that everyone else either lost their clams during or shortly after treatment or else the clams were reinfected.

Meds have been purchased and are on the way, Dosing sequence has been formulated and we have a couple of test clams with pinched mantle to play with. I am on my way to Macna for the weekend so I will look to get things going on my return. I will try to document the process, so wish me luck.

Mike

Nikki the clams did look much better after the 2nd treatment but some still showed some pinching and i did do a few FWD's thinking that it may only be a fewleft hanging on but then it started returning.

Chris

update on the clams w/ PM disease. IMO they look better..a LOT better. they are not sliming up like they used to an really don't show much signs up PM. they do show some signs but very little pinching.

Back