Power head..bio cube

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Dmcbride

So I bought a used 14g bio cube recently. The ballasts were upgraded to workhorse ballasts and the power head to a Maxi-Jet 900. The power head is super noisy. I set it up in my bedroom and if I can't quiet it down I am sure my husband is going to have a coronary. I have taken it apart and cleaned it good. If you move it outside of the power head compartment it is quiet so it is definitely vibrating against something. Is it just a bad fit or do I have it placed wrong (don't see many options). Any ideas?

That's strange. Never heard of a maxijet making noise. Without ever having a biocube I couldn't really say what may be contributing to it making noise in it's original location. Does the stock pump have the same issue in that spot or just the maxijet? If not, maybe use the stock pump as the return and just pop the maxijet in the tank for additional flow seeing it doesn't make noise there.

Just a thought. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Krish. I am going to contact the guy I bought it from to see if it was like that when he had it up and running. If not I am looking for a new power head asap. This one works great if it is not in the power head compartment for the bio cube. I may look into some of the more compact power heads if I can't have one in the compartment or maybe buy the stock one so the space is used and I have all the space in front available for rock and stock. It is just super annoying at night. I tried to tell my husband it was white noise until I had to get up with one of the kids in the middle of the night and had to go sleep on the couch because I could not take it. lol. Honestly I think it is just too tight a fit for the compartment.

I have a 29 gallon biocube. I use the stock pump and it just hanks there, from time to time it makes noise. Perhaps it's just the angle it's sitting at and it's vibrating against the side. How about putting a padding in between it and the side to absorb the vibration???

I have a 29 gallon biocube. I use the stock pump and it just hanks there, from time to time it makes noise. Perhaps it's just the angle it's sitting at and it's vibrating against the side. How about putting a padding in between it and the side to absorb the vibration???

I tried padding this weekend, no real luck. I honestly think it is a bad fit. It is pretty darn tight in there. I decided I am just going to find a stock pump and maybe add in another small power head in the main tank to help. After your description of how yours fits I am very sure. mine doesn't really hang there and you pretty well have to wedge it to get it down far enough to connect it. I'll try a couple of other ideas first, but really thinking i need something different.

Back