PSAS Mentor -- New PSAS Program

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Vicki

Anemone
What is a mentor?

A Mentor is an experienced adviser and supporter.
Someone, usually more experienced, who advises and guides a less experienced person.
Someone that just wants to help out another who needs help.
Someone who believes in karma; a person that knows what goes around, comes around.

And that's just a few definitions.

Last Saturday, the new Board of Directors of The Puget Sound Aquarium Society (our club, PSAS) met and discussed many ideas for the upcoming year. One of these ideas was a Mentor Program.

We'd like to compile a listing of any members that would be willing to help out a new club member.

To begin this program, we need volunteers willing and able to give help and advice in:

General tank setups
General maintenance
Compatibility of corals and fish
Choosing healthy 'critters'

If you're interested in becoming a Mentor for PSAS, please respond via PM to me (Vicki) or you may reply to this thread.

Let's share our experiences with our new members.

Vicki

I've had great experience with the members of this club helping me out (as a new guy)
especially Jonathan "Jnarowe" and Eric "Shark Reef"

Thanks for the compliment. I too have a mentor and value his input immensely. I try to mentor whenever the opportunity arises, and to continually update my own knowledge base.

Many pitfalls can be avoided if a person entering the hobby does their homework and seeks the advice of qualified third parties. That's somewhat the reason why forums like this one are so popular, but the advice you get must be filtered through your own hobby goals and reef-keeping philosophy.

I, and many other PSAS members, could write a book on what not-to-do when entering the hobby, so I hope that anyone that comes into contact with a fledgling hobbyist would point them to the PSAS and the appropriate forums, reading material, and most importantly, local tanks that best suit that person's hobby goals.

So I am certainly open to helping others set up tanks, review their goals and general philosophy, and share my knowledge. I also refer people to other people when the interest is not one I am familiar with. If someone approaches me about skimmers for a 50g tank, I send them to Sherman. If someone approaches me about powerheads, I refer them to The Great Dahn Nguyen.

Probably my most unique knowledge is in setting up a tank to run safely and efficiently, and I look to share that with others, even when they refuse to listen. :D

One of the best ideas in a while. I know I have had many mentors through my time in the hobby that have saved me countless catastrophes. Although my time is limited with a 1 year old at home I would be happy to help out a new person as much as I can.

It is awesome to see the enthusiasm for this program. I feel it is a great way for the club to promote the hobby. It can be frustrating as a newbie in this hobby especially if you get bad advice and many probably give up, fortunately I had a good mentor, Augustus (Balogh03) who set up my first tank and helped me out along the way. When I was trying to research to set up on my own it seemed pretty overwhelming, having someone to guide you can get you off to the right start.

It's really great to see you guys supporting this idea. I am looking for a system online on PSAS website where we can have a list of available mentors. What do you guys think?

I'd be willing to be a guinea pig for this idea as I know I am going to need a lot of help over the next few months.

It would be great if there was someone close that could possibly be available to come over for some hands-on help during critical points in the game.

I need to get over to one of the stores that sells PSAS memberships before too long. :)

Hey Skawt I can help when you need it I Live in Bonney Lake so the drive won't be a problem LOL with gas prices the way they are.

I will try and see how they works. should be easy JNarowe.

Btw, you'll coming to SwapMeet?

I am going to try, but still suffering from a slipped disk, so it all depends on how I feel that day. Every time I start feeling better, I start doing stuff and my recovery takes a couple steps backwards! :(

I am going to try, but still suffering from a slipped disk, so it all depends on how I feel that day. Every time I start feeling better, I start doing stuff and my recovery takes a couple steps backwards! :(

Pills and licorice, that's how the scandinavians do it. If you pass out Ill put you in the van and then wheelbarrow you to our guest room.:eek:

No thanx necessary, what are friends for!

Pills and licorice, that's how the scandinavians do it. If you pass out Ill put you in the van and then wheelbarrow you to our guest room.:eek:

No thanx necessary, what are friends for!

:eek:
You sure you wanna do that?! It is jonathan we're talking about here. ;)

jnarowe,

Have you ever tried the miracle balls from costco (small air balls) they seem to help me?

I've read up on spinal manipulation as well and this sems to go right along with some of those method's like ---

using a towel rolled up to place behind your lower back while you lay back down on the floor face up knees up for a few minutes here and there has a great/similar impact !!

Also lot's walking even if you need a crutch (Yes I have done all of this )

Hope this help's ease the pain.

If your interested PM me and I will explain an exercise that can slowly stretch things back into shape and keep it there. It's helped me but I forget to do it often?

Memory loss?

O-man I knew I was forgetting sompthing!!

Oh wait? Was I ??

Remembering sucks !!

:)

Paul

I am headed for an MRI today. We did some traction at PT the other day and it made the pain go away completely for a while. So I am going to have a look-see and then figure out what to do from there. These last few days have not been too bad, as long as I don't start lifting stuff. And the most irritating position is actually using a sink. That slight bend forward really gets to me.

Walking does help a lot indeed, but I over-did it a couple weeks ago. Got the treadmill set up in front of the tank now, so I should be good for that. Please go ahead and PM me with that excercise! :D

Back