reef tank is a reef tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

1guydude

Omg!!!!
Ive seen or read this idk how many times...even prob heard it.

"No reef tank is the same"... or "every tank is diffrent"... "wat works for some, may not for others" ... how bout "everyone does it diffrent".

So tired of this. Can we set some things in stone.
I don't mind hashing out some debatable things here but cmon.

No wc's... can it b?

Flow.... duh!

Salt...yes it is needed

I know of a fellow reefer who has mentioned this recently. He is right.
Lets post up things we KNOW are true and sure in this hobby. From the early days to ur more current aquarium...
-d

Patience... I like this one.
It is needed. Ur tank does cycle.

You will have times where u will wanna buy a fish or other critter... wait.
Go do research and make sure it will fit ur aquarium. It will be their the next day most likely or they may hold it for you.

I set my 1st tank up over night with 3 chromis... :(
To this day iam un patient.
Bringing home a grouper... to house with smaller fish. O boy...
-d

About the only things set in stone;

This hobby IS expensive,

Your reef needs Light,

Your reef needs Salt,

Your reef needs Flow,

Your tank needs heater to keep it at the right temperature.

After that, No two reefers or reef tanks are the same.

Your tank will need rock or a media to grow and house good bacteria.

You need to be ready explain to the better half that you got it for 1/2 of what it is worth

Reefkeeping on a budget.....what the heck does that mean.

even today there is very little set in stone. just too many variables with every minute change,or way,or how etc we do things different.

BUT, I guess I will offer every tank needs nutrient export. you simply may be understocked and the live rock in your display may be enough. or you may do water changes, run macros, biopellets or liquid carbon dose, deep sand bed or algea turf scrubber, gfo or sulfur reactor....or maybee some new space aged biodenitrator the relies on dark matter.

BUT in a reef tank we need nutrient export!

Your tank will need rock or a media to grow and house good bacteria.
Are you really sure about that? Have you tried without?:confused:

You need to be ready explain to the better half that you got it for 1/2 of what it is worth
Now this is true but really you spend a couple K$ or 10k$ or more and all said and done it probably isn't worth a 1/4 that, so the secret it to never sell anything and she'll never know, right? Just say your donating to help others and your such a good guy for doing so Right!!! :tape2:

This hobby IS expensive,

Your reef needs Light,

Your reef needs Salt,

Your reef needs Flow,

+1
I really agree with the last sentence.
IMO there are not a lot of things that are "set in stone" in this hobby.
Maybe just the basics for life in saltwater.
How we handle the basics are what makes one hobbyist do it one way, while the next person does it another way.

It sure is funny how the law's of biology and chemistry are set it stone so to speak, but we all somehow meet them enough to keep this stuff alive. Thank god for mother nature cus in the end she's the one taking care of our tanks!

This hobby IS expensive,

Your reef needs Light,

Your reef needs Salt,

Your reef needs Flow,

this is about as concise an correct an answer to this can be, and the folks running NSP tanks start disagreeing with the second item on the list, and you coldwater folks can disagree on the heater (along with some of the metal halide folks i suppose)
heck, its even hard to go with something as simple as ammonia is bad. (can't cycle without it)
i think its more accurate to say every reefer is different more than every tank though. we are generally all trying to solve the same problems, just with different approaches, space, budgets and diy skills. but then again, we're kind of all silly enough to think we can put the ocean in a box inside our houses, so that kind of makes us all the same.

Are you really sure about that? Have you tried without?:confused:

Now this is true but really you spend a couple K$ or 10k$ or more and all said and done it probably isn't worth a 1/4 that, so the secret it to never sell anything and she'll never know, right? Just say your donating to help others and your such a good guy for doing so Right!!! :tape2:

LOL I get my ass reammed by my wife for being a "Nice Guy"

Your reef tank has to have LEDS. They are the best hands down no matter what just throw out the t5s and MH and PC's. LEDS for sure way better

Patience
Light
Money
Salt
Flow
Heat
Area or space
Excuses
Nutrient export
Amnonia
And opinions

I'm just repeating what I'm reading lol.

Cmon trido, ur not helping "no two reef tanks or reefers are the same"
I agree...laws in physics and biology zoology ect.
You'd think some things would be a bit concrete. You can set up two excact 10g tanks with the same equipment and stock. You will get two diffrent tanks! There really is a lot of variables.
D

Edit* leds taken off the list

Last edited:
Lol ok ok we can cross that out the list.
I had to put that in for the old timers...
:p

Bio pellets or die! Muhahaha

Wat about water? Clean water at that. Tds of say 0-2ppm
I know ppl use tap and I did set my 1st sw tank up with tap from the bathroom.
But I think clean and pure water is the way to go.
D

Research, expect to make mistakes, tanks don't just "crash" there is always a reason and we are always to blame, keep your hands out of the tank, and one more.....

Back