Reefkeeper 2 or Reefkeeper Lite??

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

NC2WA

I am looking for a controller that will monitor pH, temp and salinity

will either models listed in the "Title" do this? From reading DA web site, I dont believe RK lite has the option for salinity, but want to confirm.

if not, what controllers will ??

thanks
kirk

Why Measure Salinity this way?

I ask Kirk cause if your auto top off is good and you have a refractometer to make sure the new water you make and your tank are the same your salinity will not change.

Salt does not evaporate only the water does !!!

If you really must have one your best bet would probably be Pinpoint's Individual salinity monitor for $150 ish plus shipping.

Allot of people have told me they would rather use a refractometer than to own one regarless.

I only know of 1 person who has bought one. Lot's of store owners do not have one.

Oh-- Neptune's Aquacontroler 3 pro measures dissolved oxyegen which is what most people use to monitor it. allot don't even bother using it-including me !

Just my thought's

:)

Gotta see my new additions sometime-- I gotta see your scoly's

Paul

The following table shows the relationship of dissolved oxygen (mg/L) to temperature and salinity:

TEMP SALINITY
oC (ppt)
0 ppt 9 ppt 18.1 ppt 27.1 ppt 36.1 ppt 45.2 pt
0 14.62 13.73 12.89 12.10 11.36 10.66
10 11.29 10.66 10.06 9.49 8.96 8.45
20 9.09 8.62 8.17 7.75 7.35 6.96
25 8.26 7.85 7.46 7.08 6.72 6.39
30 7.56 7.19 6.85 6.51 6.20 5.90
40 6.41 6.12 5.84 5.58 5.32 5.08

ok, be that as it may then, so if I only want to have constant readings of pH and temp, what controller would be best suited for this???

reason I ask..is i plan on having multiple fish (8-10) and want to monitor my pH..(not that it swings, but always need to know what my tank is doing, if you know what i mean) :)

my refractometer is spot on anyway. :)

agreed, on getting together to see each other's tank..i think you will be amazing of the improvement of my tank since the last time you saw it.

Kirk - I'll be having my Neptune AC III up for sale with built in web server whenever I sell off my corals and fish. If I had to do it all over again, wouldn't think twice about trying anything but (ok maybe the neptune pro but that's about it). Also comes with ORP controller which you may want to conside having if you ever try ozone with all those fish... ohh and I probably still have the full version of aquanotes locked away somewhere too (not that you can't do without it, just nice to have)...

Pm me with offer if that's of interest...

I agree with ben as his is a good choice.

I think it's a good idea to have a controller for you.

I also have the PROPER Stuff to Calibrate the ORP probe with so If your going to do that let me know as I could do yours and mine at the same time !

Paul

I have the Aqua Controller III Pro and I love it!

It controls everything on my tank including my auto top off.

The only thing I will have to do is feed the fish /corals and water changes.

the water changes are just until I can figure out how to have everything auto mix, drain and fill.

I wish I had the full version of the aquanotes though. Maybe next month or class clown could always pass it on... (hint hint)

well, auto top off and water changes are automatic..the only thing I do to the tank is feed and watch..but I would like to have a automatic computer feed of what my water parameters.

i have been wondering about controllers as well. mainly about the reefkeeper 2 elite? is this just not a good controller?

I am looking for a controller that will monitor pH, temp and salinity

will either models listed in the "Title" do this? From reading DA web site, I dont believe RK lite has the option for salinity, but want to confirm.

if not, what controllers will ??

thanks
kirk

Going back to answer your original question. Digital Aquatics is releasing the RKM-SL2 module in the next few weeks. The SL2 is the same as the SL1 except that it replaces the ORP probe input with a salinity probe input. A firmware update for the ReefKeeper Light that will add support for the RKM-SL2 module is also supposed to be available soon.

http://www.digitalaquatics.com/saltwater/RKM-SL2

well, auto top off and water changes are automatic..the only thing I do to the tank is feed and watch..but I would like to have a automatic computer feed of what my water parameters.

That is where the aquanotes comes into play. Most of these have this built into it.

I am just getting into the aquanotes programming / set up on my 300 gallon tank and it seems pretty cool. I would like to see the 3.5V and see what the difference is over the 3.0V.

One thing I like about the 3.0v is you can input all your fish and coral with the date you add them to the tank. Along with major changes or the maintance such as changing lights filters etc.

One thing I would like to see is a Cost field so at the end of the year you can see what it cost to keep your tank online. Maybe add something there to cover when you get rid of something in your tank of frag so you can compare the cost to income. This would be for the people that sell frags to help cover the cost of their reef keeping.

Just a thought on somethings I would like to see.

Tyson (or anyone),

Can AquaNotes software be used with RK2 or RKM-SL2 controllers OR is this only something that can be used with Neptune controllers??

Reefkeeper lite only monitors PH and temp the RK 2 has a PH and temp CONTROL option so I would go with the RK2 if you can

Hey Kirk !

On this website they have people who own the reefkeeper elite and the newest aquacontroller apex or there older one's aquacontrollers comparing there experiences.

Might be a thing to help you decide-- I think which ever you can get a good deal on is best !!

Also If you wanna see an aquacontroller I have 2 different Version #2 and #3 pro for you to see. Also a Pinpoint PH Monitor. Ive seen every version lately except the newest apex.

http://www.reefbuilders.com/2009/08/13/reef-keeper-elite-apex-aqua-controller/

Paul

Paul,

are you able to view this article? It loads then immediately goes to "nothing found".

if the page displays for you can you pls copy/paste into a MS Word document (*.doc)?

I will give you my e-mail in a PM

thanks

the apex looks like a great system IMO. i think i will be putting my money on the new apex unit. thanks guys, and its cheaper for everything, as well as way more expandable.

Wow ?

Don't know I can see it--Tried a few times with and without compatability mode.
Eventually once it do do as you said after I switched windows then came back??

I saved it as a word Document. I just need your e-mail !

Paul

I use the reef keeper elite v2 and I love it. When first released they had some major firmware issues, but have corrected all of those in v2.

Back