Refugiums'

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

BarrierReef

I have a refugium and it seems to work great. It has a deep sand bed and the macro algae is removing the the nutrients from the water column. wondering if others are having the same experience. Eric Borneman in his latest book (not a direct quote) say's he envisions all the marine reef tanks of the future having an attached refugium with deep sand beds and growing plant materials. They seem to be the wave of the future.

I do agree they have been around for many years, it seems that they are catching on more these days. I have one that has been running well for more than seven years now and it works very good. It seems that I am reading more articles about them, maybe just that I have more time now that I am retired. LOL, Retirement does have theat effect on a person, more time I mean. Wish I could remember have of what I read these days, as the mind get older, Oh Well that is another story for another day.

When I read what Borneman said in his book, it made me think that refugiums are somethig we shall see around for a long time.

I've been running a small 3.3g HOB fuge on my 26g for 2+yrs with much success! With a 2"aragonite sb, a large piece of Pukani rock and a big ole clump of chaeto, and a ton-o-pods :)

I have a 45 gallon working refugium on my 180 gallon aquarium. It has been on the tank for going seven years now. Works like a charm, I do have to cut back the spaghetti algae about once or twice a year and I sell on CL. I was wondering how others are doing on their refugiums as well.

My mini reef is only 10 gallons. My refugium is a half gallon hob. I have to thin out the chaeto and caulerpa every other week.

I do weekly 1.5 gallon water changes.

No algae issues whatsoever. (Knocking on wood. ;-) )

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2

I've just set up my fuge, I am debating whether or not to add lr and sand or just some macro. Does anybody have an argument for or against the sand and live rock?

FOURTEEN years ago I received the first US patent for aquarium refugium's both three and four chambers. Over the course of two years I built 13 different prototypes before applying for my first patent. I then spent the next five years going to trade shows, taking out magazine adds and sharing with others information about refugiums. I have had the pleasure of talking about refugiums in great detail with people like Bob Goemans, Albert Thiel, Charles Delbeek, and others. I introduced to our hobby aquarium refugiums at MACNA X and was runner up to a 3 gallon rotating aquarium for product of the year......lol you don't see to many 3 gallon rotating aquariums but you sure see a lot of refugium's:)
I am glad your refugium is doing well for you, I like them so much I patented the idea......lol
Yes I made a little money back in the day with them but it wasn't about that for me it was about the love for the hobby and building something that would make a difference how we keep aquariums.

I have a 45 gallon working refugium on my 180 gallon aquarium. It has been on the tank for going seven years now. Works like a charm, I do have to cut back the spaghetti algae about once or twice a year and I sell on CL. I was wondering how others are doing on their refugiums as well.

on the system below ( 120g display and 50g fuge) I had to rip out half the cheato at least monthly.

displaynfuge.jpg

Back