Relocating my Ca Reactor

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

davidabrown66

Dolphin
I'm moving my calcium reactor to the garage where I've relocated my sump. My Ca reactor (Knop S-IV) uses airline tubing to siphon tank water into my reactor to feed it, and airline tubing coming out to drip the effluent.

I'm wondering how to set this up without having to run my tubing an extra 75' to where my sump is now.

I have Blueline (Panworld) HD70 delivering water back to my tank, can I use a john guest fitting or something in my return plumbing to feed the reactor and deliver the effluent?

If yes, I need to deliver it without using the same area of the sump. I'm just not sure how to visualize what needs to happen here. Maybe I could use a separate maxi jet? But, then how do you supply only a small amount of water to the skimmer from even the smallest of ph's without burning them up?

Thanks for any help,

-David

I guess I was thinking that if I'm drawing water into the calcium reactor from the sump and dripping the effluent into the sump, the effluent might get recirculated into the intake of the reactor again and saturate the solution.

I've looked at again over the weekend, and I'm going to partition the sump so I have a refugium and my reactor water will draw from my refugium, and drip into last section where water is returned.

I still don't know how I'm going to push the water to my reactor though. I only have an airline tubing to use to keep water flowing to it.

How do others do it?

Why not directly into sump near the return to the tank?

I have always personally liked to use maxi jet pumps. I used a 1200 for about 3 years and restricted it right after the pump with a JG ball valve to the proper drip that I needed. You do not need to worry about over saturating your reactor, it will not be a factor. The flow thru the sump will be mixing with the effluent, and the amount going back thru the reactor prior to leaving the sump will be tiny.

Cool, good to know. I wasn't sure if a dedicated pwr head could push water thru airline tubing without over heating/burning it out.

I have an extra maxi jet lying around,but not sure what model. Now, I just got to get a JG ballvalve and try it out.

Thanks!

I have always personally liked to use maxi jet pumps. I used a 1200 for about 3 years and restricted it right after the pump with a JG ball valve to the proper drip that I needed. You do not need to worry about over saturating your reactor, it will not be a factor. The flow thru the sump will be mixing with the effluent, and the amount going back thru the reactor prior to leaving the sump will be tiny.

How did you convert the output of the pump (5/8") to the JG fitting size of 1/4"?

I tapped my JG fitting right into my sump return line. No need for another pump to plug in.
Then a JG valve to control drip rate at the effluent end (which I may change due to control issues).

What kind of control issues? I can probably tap into my return plumbing with a JG fitting, but not sure if your control issues would effect me as well.

thx

I tapped my JG fitting right into my sump return line. No need for another pump to plug in.
Then a JG valve to control drip rate at the effluent end (which I may change due to control issues).

1) I need to find out what JG fitting would be best for tapping into pvc?

And

2) Can I even use airline tubing with a JG fitting, or should I use R/O tubing for the fitting all the way up to the reactor, and airline tubing to connect the R/O line to the nipple on the CA reactor?

I used a 1/4" (or maybe the 3/8"?? not positive on size) threaded JG valve that I tapped into the return piping.

AI also use 1/4" poly tube (ro tube) to and from my reactor.

The control issue I had was drip rate. When I would get even the smallest bubble in the line it wouldn't pass through the JG valve off the effluent line. The only way I solved that was to make sure I was open enough to let air pass without overdosing my tank. I'm glad my tank consumes it at the drip rate I am at ;)

I can shoot a pic of my setup if that would help you out.

Ah heck here ya go :D

reactor.jpg

AHhh! A picture...yes...I see the light.

Did you buy the JG fitting from hw store, or online? Or, a better question, where did you buy the fitting? I can't seem to find a threaded ball valve like the one in the pic online.

I like the way you used a coupler to thread into. Nice and clean.

Ah heck here ya go :D

reactor.jpg

Fittings were all bought at home depot

Thanks for the compliment. The coupling gave more material to thread to. Then I sealed it with frag glue :D

Wow, Home depot?!! I found most everything at McClendon's, but couldn't find the ball valve so I ordered what I needed online. I did figure out that I can change the fitting on my reactor to a JG fitting so no need to convert to airline tubing at the reactor input.

Back