Removing a BTA from live rock

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

saltluvers

As a newbie to the salt water hobby, I have a question about the best way to remove a BTA from my (developing) reef tank. As I collect more coral, I have growing concern that my (enormous) RBTA may start to sting and kill the coral I am collecting. I tried once, very unsuccessfully to remove another BTA from my live rock and killed it. The smell was pretty impressive as well :eek:

Is it easier to remove it on the LR and sell it as a duo or is there a really good way to detach it?

Thanks,
Angela

p.s. I have some small, pesky problem child anemones that keep popping up as well. I have heard that injecting them with boiling water will kill them. Thoughts?

You could put a Power head close to the anenome it might detach from the rocka little easier.
For the anenomes use Joes Juice. Hot water doesnt usually totally eliminate the anenomes.

try peppermint shrimp ive got good luck on them....you can try a credit card for the bta,put it in a container,point the powerhead and slowly gently try to slide the credit card,then it should detach with the help of the powerhead unless its attached deeply in a rock like a hole then just try pointing the powerhead.

if you can pull the rock from the display tank with the anemone on it, use a hammer and chisel to break where the anemones foot is at. the live rock will split into two, one with the anemone and the other without.

Here is a really easy gentle way to do it that worked for me.
Hook up piece of air tubing to a small aquarium air pump.
Cut the other end of the tubing at a 45 deg angle and snip the point if it seems too sharp.
Work the end of the tubing around the base of the foot Gently working it under the edge.
This may take 15 minutes or more, but it will pop right off after enough persuading.

Another way. If you can remove the rock it is attached to, turn him upside down over a bucket of saltwater. He will drop into the bucket after about 10 minutes.

when we bought our anemone it came in a big rock full of bubble algea(the ugly one) and we didnt want any bubble algae so we did the following.

put it upside down for a while but nothin happen(not that long only like 2 mins)
the powerhead didnt really work(like 2 mins, it got upset so we stoped)
then we tried the ice trick.
rub ice on its foot while blowing the powerhead on it. and after a min or two it came off.

but i guess putting upside down for longer should work, i was not patient enough. and well the power head looked like it was beating it really bad so i stoped but yeah, they are hardy, very hardy.

by the way...
"When the boogie man goes to sleep.... he checks his closet for "CHUCK NORRIS" .."

Mine was literally in a golf ball (diameter) 6 inch deep hole. I hug it upside down, and used an airpump to blow bubbles at it. I eventually got it loose. Now we'll see if it survives....

Thank you (everyone) for your advice/tips, I really appreciate it! I plan on trying some/all of the suggestions to get this guy to let go of the LR. And if all else fails, i'll use some dynamite :eek:)

Cheers,
Angela

I have had my RBTA for 4 years and all these methods will work. I've had to remove mine the first time when I took it out to divide it myself and put them both back in the aquarium then I had to do it again when I sold half of it. Then once it divided it's self and I removed 1 to sell it. I don't know why someone would recommend "Joe's juice" unless you want to kill it. I removed mine by slowly working my finger under the foot. It took about 10 mins. but it worked. One time, I did have to split the rock in half and then work it off with my finger. Good luck. BTW my RBTA only tried to move once in 4 years and that is when I divided it and put them back, one of them wasn't happy but I figured it might try to move so I watched it and when it tried, I just put it back and placed a few rocks around it to box it in place and it stayed until I sold it. Here is a pic. of my well behaved RBTA.
dsc01624.jpg

Last edited:
Back