Rhodes19's 180 build

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Well, its time for me to step up and join the skimmer club. I ordered a skimmer for my 180 and should have it soon. Its a SWC 200 Xtreme that I ordered from Mark and he was great to work with. I'm looking forward to getting it in my tank. I think that's really going to make a big difference in my water quality.

Well, its time for me to step up and join the skimmer club. I ordered a skimmer for my 180 and should have it soon. Its a SWC 200 Xtreme that I ordered from Mark and he was great to work with. I'm looking forward to getting it in my tank. I think that's really going to make a big difference in my water quality.

Sounds good!! From what I've been reading, you got yourself a nice skimmer :)

The Zeovit system is a big step for me but think it's going to be ok with our buddy giving moral support, just being able to call some one to get get threw the ups and downs is a great feeling LOL

Great Chris! Once it gets broken in you will be pulling all the crap outta the water

I'm looking forward to it. I've been fighting gha and cyano and water changes only slow it down. I'll get some pictures posted when I get it and the stuff its pulling out.

The Zeovit system is a big step for me but think it's going to be ok with our buddy giving moral support, just being able to call some one to get get threw the ups and downs is a great feeling LOL

Yeah, Frankie is a wealth of knowledge. I can't count the number of times he has helped me out or taught me something new about the hobby I didn't know.

Ok, I give up. I just lost my 4th diamond sifter goby. The first one went carpet surfing after a year or so in my 29. His replacement lasted about a month before I found him belly up. The 3rd one lasted about 6 weeks in the 40g before I found the hermit crabs munching on him. And last night I found my 4th diamond sifter belly up. He made it 6 weeks in quarantine, was eating flake, mysis, live black worms, and marine cuisine with no trouble and lasted 2 weeks after he was transfered to the 180. He hid for a day or 2 but after that he was alway up front and sifting away. Never saw any one picking on him. I guess this is nature telling me not to keep diamond sifters. :( I guess I need to find another animal who can sift/clean the sand bed. I'm not sure what though, the diamond sifters are the only ones I've seen really get into it.

Hey Rhodes19 great tank! I too am building an aga180. I like your stained stand. How did you paint the back of the tank? what did you use?

Hey Rhodes19 great tank! I too am building an aga180. I like your stained stand. How did you paint the back of the tank? what did you use?

Hi capdippe,

Thanks. Painting the back of the tank was easy. All I did was tape off the top and sides with newspaper and painter's tape (the blue stuff) and sprayed Rustolium on the back outside. I had to do it in a couple of passes to make sure I got even distribution and cover the areas I missed. If you don't like it after it dries you can use a razer to scrape it off. HTH

I got tired of having to flush my 6 line wrasse every time he went surfing into the overflow box so I used some plastic rain guard to block the opening. It works so far. :)

fishguard2.jpg

fishguard3.jpg

I used some zip ties to hold it in place.

Woo Hoo!!! I just joined the big boys'/girls' skimmer club. My SWC 200 came in 2 days ago and I have it set up and running. I got it from Skimmy and it was easy to set up and run. Thanks Mark, you offer great service. :D

skimmer1.jpg

skimmer2.jpg

skimmer3.jpg

skimmer6.jpg

skimmer7.jpg

Just turned it on and I need to play with the flow. :D
skimmer9.jpg

I'll post some pics once I get it tuned.

OOPs, I turned the return pump off last night to feed the fish and about 15 minutes later turned it back on and when I went to look at the skimmer, water was overflowing the collection cup. I guess the extra water in the sump raised the water level in the skimmer and it overflowed. Oh well, just another hurdle in the leaning curve!! LOL

Skimmer lesion # 2. Clean skimmer cup, expect overflow when you turn the skimmer on. :eek2: I turned the skimmer off this morning and emptied the collection cup. I rinsed the cup and knocked of the green skimmy build up, put the cup back in place, and turned the skimmer back on. The water/bubble column when up and filled the cup with water. I had to adjust it to bring the water/bubble column down to just under the collection cup. I wonder if this is a one time only thing or will I have to be changing the level every time I clean the cup.

Very nice man!!! That skimmer should do wonders for you. :)

Hi Krish,

Thanks, I think so too. I've heard a lot of good things about it and skimmy gave me lots of good info. Its pulling out a lot of junk and when I dump the skimmate, I'll have to make sure my wife doesn't see me dump it in the kitchen sink. :D

Back