RO/DI Questions

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

shallowreef said:
Now i have a couple of questions about this. First how do we know that when we go to our LFS that they are changing the mebranes on their RO/DI units? Also you guys say it only cost 150 for a unit but don't those units waste a lot of water? How much is your water bill going up after plumbing that into your sytem? I don't mean to sound like a jerk i'm just very curious and i would like to cover all my bases before i jump head first into something.
Well you dont, only way to know is to test thier water for tds everytime you buy.
I run a reef maintence and set up service. I go thru a whole lot of water. My water bill is between 30 and 36$ a month. I do live in the country and dont have to pay sewer.
Your not being a jerk at all. I think those are very legitimate questions.

oldsaint said:
Also make sure you get this type of shut off valve. It shuts off both product and waste water.
This one only shuts off product water. I learned that the hard way.
Why does this make a difference for you? I have a float valve in my garbage can and when it closes, it shuts off the product water. The waste water continues for a minute or two afterwards as the pressure tapers off inside the RO unit.

Slickdonkey said:
Why does this make a difference for you? I have a float valve in my garbage can and when it closes, it shuts off the product water. The waste water continues for a minute or two afterwards as the pressure tapers off inside the RO unit.

Every little bit helps. I don't want my waste water running if I'm not producing product water. :)

I am also thinking of purchasing an RO/DI unit (im about a week away on maying the purchase).
Seems this bad boy got some nice reviews
http://airwaterice.com/product/1TYPHOONIII

I have well water at my house and i tested yesterday for Phosphate
to my surprise it was about 0.1.

I did not test Nitrate(i will test that tonight) nor do i have the other tests mentioned.

With well water i do not have to worry about a water bill so waste water wont hit me in my wallet, and as mentioned above i can definitly use the waste water for other things.

Only a matter of time before i stop procrastinating and fork over my Credit Card :)

Back