Roscoe's 270g build

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

So what would be a good pressure rated external pump? I want to turn my DT over about 4-5 times per hr. I want to have extra flow when I need it if I decide to expand the system too? I think I will have about 8-10ft of head pressure including 45 and 90 degree elbows.

So what would be a good pressure rated external pump? I want to turn my DT over about 4-5 times per hr. I want to have extra flow when I need it if I decide to expand the system too? I think I will have about 8-10ft of head pressure including 45 and 90 degree elbows.

Hard to beat an ampmaster or a sequence if you have a lot of work to perform and water to move. I have always used smaller pumps but been in awe of these bigboys

Yeah i'm looking to getting a sequence pump but don't know which are the pressure rated ones. I'm thinking something around 3000gph should be fine and with these pumps I can valve them down without hurting the pump? I would also like something that is energy friendly also.

Energy friendly High pressure rated 3000GPH pump is an oxymoron.
One or the other. Work = HP = energy costs.

Both the Dart and Hammerhead are excellent pumps, but cost to run.
If you can keep the head pressure down, will save on the juice

If you get a hammerhead or barracuda, you can build a manifold and feed the frag tank, calcium reactor, carbon reactor chiller, etc all off of one pump. I have a mag 18 return, mag 9 return and a mag 12 chiller feed/water change pump. Come to think of it. Same cost, same electricity, less heat, fewer pumps.

If you get a hammerhead or barracuda, you can build a manifold and feed the frag tank, calcium reactor, carbon reactor chiller, etc all off of one pump. I have a mag 18 return, mag 9 return and a mag 12 chiller feed/water change pump. Come to think of it. Same cost, same electricity, less heat, fewer pumps.

I was thinking about running everything off one pump too. Then I thought well what if the pump fail that would completely shut my system down. I agree with Dang too many eggs in one basket. I might use two pumps. One to run the return to DT, frag/refguium and another to run all the reactors and chiller. I have a drawing of my plans. When I get hme from work I will try to scan and post the plan.

i would suggest one of those pumps Brett is selling and maybe an ampmaster 3000 on a manifold or possibly both of bretts pumps you can't beat the price he is asking

Rosco, you know I'm right down the road for help!!
I'm likeing this one pump for all the auxiliary stuff??
Gotta look into this!!

Last edited:
Always another thing you have to get LOL. I need to really think about this pump situation. Cash is running a little low right now. I don't want to skimp on this set-up either. :confused:

Couple things Roscoe....if you run the system on one pump (which is ok to do IMHO) be sure to keep a spare on hand because it will fail at some point and you don't want to loose everything while you have to run out for a pump (especially if it fails at Christmas or during that freak snow storm we never get here ;) )

With one pump you will also come to realize you have to shut everything down to clean it.....no circulation, no skimmer, nothing. This can lower the oxygen levels (though no a big issue, your goal is a consistent set of parameters).

Finally, the bigger the pump the bigger the leak when they go (and they all do at some time).

Just a few things to keep in mind. I had good luck with the second ampmaster 3000 that I had. First one had all kinds of problems. On fact, I think loohunter bought my second one when I sold it. Sequence pumps have a great reputation. Whatever you decide, plan it out well and make it easy to remove them for maintenance so you will do it.

Best of luck my friend,
-Reed

Couple things Roscoe....if you run the system on one pump (which is ok to do IMHO) be sure to keep a spare on hand because it will fail at some point and you don't want to loose everything while you have to run out for a pump (especially if it fails at Christmas or during that freak snow storm we never get here ;) )

With one pump you will also come to realize you have to shut everything down to clean it.....no circulation, no skimmer, nothing. This can lower the oxygen levels (though no a big issue, your goal is a consistent set of parameters).

Finally, the bigger the pump the bigger the leak when they go (and they all do at some time).

Just a few things to keep in mind. I had good luck with the second ampmaster 3000 that I had. First one had all kinds of problems. On fact, I think loohunter bought my second one when I sold it. Sequence pumps have a great reputation. Whatever you decide, plan it out well and make it easy to remove them for maintenance so you will do it.

Best of luck my friend,
-Reed

Thanks for the tip! this build is actually bigger than I anticipated LOL. Oh well I might as well try to do everything right the 1st time.

i did buy that pump Reed and it has been rockin ever since:) i also have another one that has been up and runnin even longer. one thing to consider though is for example i have one running a closed loop. the pump is on the ground so it pumps water up lets say four feet. then it t's and has 3 outlets on either side of the t ( a total of 6 outlets) each outlet puts out what i would say around 200 gph which means i am loosing around half in head and 90's so that is something to think about when plumbing

Congrats Roscoe -- glad to hear the tank build is progressing!

We're running two 8500 ampmasters (not pressure rated but will push a decent head). Definitely overkill for the one running the return, chiller in garage, UV sterilizer, above tank refugium, skimmer, and carbon reactor, :lol: but we've been happy with their performance and noise level and are able to valve them down.

I think the Ampmaster Model 5600 is pressure rated.

Good luck with the setup, and don't forget to plan for things taking 3 times as long as you think they will! ;) :D

Thanks Colleen! I am glad myself! Yes I am taking this project slowly. I want to be sure of the placement of all the equipment. I'm thinking a 8'-10' table 2'wide and 36''-40'' tall should be enough room for everything? Hopefully this will all work out.:D As for the pump I'm thinking about getting the Reeflo Hammerhead that should be good for now to run eveything right?

I'm not 100% sure as of yet Scooter. I'm thinking for my return, chiller, refugium and frag tank and just choke it down. So this way when and if I expand the system I have more power to tap into when needed. Doe you think this would be a good idea?

Back