Roscoe's 270g build

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I'd really give this one some serious though, figure out head pressure, amount of equipment, power consumption etc. there are lots of formulas but just think it through.
  • Maximum Flow Rate: 5800gph
  • Maximum Shut-Off Head: 23`
  • Maximum Wattage: 375W
  • Average Wattage: 335W
  • Inlet/Outlet: 1.5" FNPT / 1.5" FNPT
  • Dimensions (L x W x H): 14.20" x 8.33" x 7.54"
  • Warranty: 3-year manufacturer`s warranty

I'm thinking just the return to my DT is maybe 8-10ft of head with all the 45 and 90 degree elbows. I will also be feeding this to the refugium, frag tank and chiller I don't know how much more head this will add. Do you have an idea?

Sketch up a diagram with the size plumbing you plan on using, elbows etc, get some ruff measurements & that will help figure out your total head pressure you need to exceed!
Stand look cool btw! keep it up! :D

Thanks Scooty! I will try to figure out all the plumbing when I am closer to that which will probally be in a couple of weeks. The stand and canopy is being built by Mike (Saltybell). Looks like this stand and canopy will turn out to be just as good looking as the tank. Thanks to a IMO master carpenter!! Oh yeah the stand and canopy will be painted black with a shiny finish with clear coat.

Nate here for Colleen - We don' have the ampmaster running anywhere near wide open, and are pushing as much head or more than what you are describing. But, we are lucky in the respect that we don't have many elbows leading to the manifold that supplies most of the eqiupment. And, I installed gate valves for each piece of equipment so we can regulate flow to each individual area separate from all others. Good thing too, as I have had to gate many of them back over half.

The plumbing in the garage will be something for me to think about. Right now I am just wanting the plumbing from the DT to the garage. Once that is done then the real plumbing begins. Looks like my hopes of having this thing set up in a couple months might not be realistic LOL. I'd rather take my time and slowly put this thing together and do things the right and smart way. More suggestions anyone?

Suggestions
1- you don't have time for your 40 g and inhabitants anymore with this new tank build, so bring it over here (happy b-day to me) LOL
2- Think three or four times about your set up before buying anything else.
3- Do lots of drawings to figure out how you want things (I did probably 100)
4- Call me for any help you need.

I think getting the plumbing from the DT room to the garage is the easier of the plumbing part right. I just need to figure out if I want to go with one pump to run everything or 2. That is the hard part for me haha. Also too how should I plumb the chiller to the system?

I think getting the plumbing from the DT room to the garage is the easier of the plumbing part right. I just need to figure out if I want to go with one pump to run everything or 2. That is the hard part for me haha. Also too how should I plumb the chiller to the system?

Couple more thoughts for you Sarang:

go with 2 pumps. This will give you some piece of mind that if one fails you still have one working. If you use the same size/brand of pump for both you can keep one backup for both pumps.

If I were doing a chiller i think I would use a dedicated pump for it. They need a constant flow of water and if they don't get it you can kill the chiller. I am a cheap bastard, but on a setup that big, you don't want to cut corners.

my 3 cents worth

I have three pumps for my system.
A mag18 for the DT return and carbon reactor
mag9 split, half feeds the refugiums and half feeds the frag tank, I also have a small valve that feeds the phosban reactor.
mag12 that feeds the chiller. Its also has a valve assembly so I can close off the chiller and pump water into a sink, a turn of a couple more valves and it pumps water from my make up bins back into the sump. With the turn of a few valve variations the same pump does three different tasks.
My ca reactor is gravity fed from the frag tank overflow into the sump. Believe it or not, my drip rate has been consistant ever since turning off the feed pump and doing this.

Reed is right in having more than one pump. If either of my returns goes bad, I can take the chiller off line and use that pump until I get a new one..

Last edited:
On the chiller buy a flow switch, if it detects no flow then it shuts off the chiller & saves it from damage! You pay that much money for a big chiller, you need this for your best protection. Also consider to keep it clean from time to time.

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewI...lers-Saltwater_Aquarium_Supplies~vendor~.html

Thanks for the info. I did not know that your chiller can damage if there were no water running through it. I for some reason thought there were bulit in sensors that senses water flow. Thanks again.

Back