Roscoe's 270g build

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

roscoe

OK so I finally found my dream tank! For now at least:D. Sorry I havn't taken any pics of it yet but I will. With the help from some good friends here. I got the floor supports done with Adam's help (mightymouse). Chad (reeferman069) came over last night to help me drill some holes for the overflow and return lines and we also went ahead and drilled a hole for the sump too. Mike (Saltybell) is helping me with the stand and canopy build. I think he is going to start a thread on the stand or canopy build or he can just post here.

So here is my equipment list that I already have.

Lighting- 3 250w halides 1 dual coralvue ballast and 1 IC ballast, IC660 for 4 T-5s. 2 large lumenbright SE reflectors and a Lumenarc mini stealth DE. The bulbs I will be using for the halides will be 2 20k coralvue for the lumenbrights and 14k hamilton for the lumenarc. Havn't decided on which bulbs for the t-5 any suggestion would be appreciated.

Flow- I will be utilizing 2 vortech MP40(will have a total of 4 when more dough is available), 1 tunze 6100 w/ controller, 2 wavysea with maybe the tunze attatched or some type of high flow PH.

Heating and Cooling- I will use 2 500w titanium heaters with ranco controllers and for my chiller I have a 1/4hp right now but I know this will not cool a 400g+ system will need to upgrade when the time and dough permits. Any suggestions would be great!

Reactors- I will have 4 phosban reactors 2 for carbon and 2 for GFO. For a calcium reatcor I am looking at getting the Geo 624 or 824 and also too I would like to run a kalk reactor alongside the calcium reactor. Any good reccomendation on a good kalk reactor?

Controller- I will be using an AC jr to control most everything except the heater and chiller they will be cotrolled with the Ranco.

Return pump- This is where I need help on deciding what pump to use. Should I use internal or external? Keep in mind my DT will be in the house while the sump and equipment will be in the garage. I am estimating any where from 8-12ft of head pressure.

Sump/refugium- I will have a 125g sump, 40-75g refugium, and a 30g frag tank.

Skimmer- Right now I only have the WMS200 but will get another skimmer to run alongside it. I havn't decided on what other skimmer to get since there are a million choices nowadays. Any suggestions would be appreciated here too.

Well I think that is all right now for my equipment list.

Last edited:
I just got done moving my existing tank into the living room. I will take pics when evrything settles down. Now to clean up the mess.

Well now that I got my tank drilled. I have to get a corner overflow box built or order one somewhere. Can anyone build a corner overflow box for me? I have cash to pay.

Return pump- This is where I need help on deciding what pump to use. Should I use internal or external? Keep in mind my DT will be in the house while the sump and equipment will be in the garage. I am estimating any where from 8-12ft of head pressure.
I dont have much head pressure (6ft) but use a mag 18 external with near 20ft of return pipe. I might be getting 1000GPH out of it if im lucky.
Maybe a mag 24 for a cheap pump, otherwise a strong iwaki?
Controller- I will be using an AC jr to control most everything except the heater and chiller they will be cotrolled with the Ranco.
Good idea! I also use a milwakee for my Ca. reactor. Separate systems is the way to go. When I come home twice a year and the GFI mysteriously tripped the AC Jr, its nice to know that my lighting is the only thing affected.

Or if the return pump breaker is tripped, the CL is still running etc etc. Redundancy is the key

For a calcium reatcor I am looking at getting the Geo 624 or 824 and also too I would like to run a kalk reactor alongside the calcium reactor. Any good reccomendation on a good kalk reactor?
I feel like my GEO 618 will last a long long time before needing to be upgraded.
My kalk mixer is a DMO 624 (DIY :lol:) Matt can build you a real nice one if he has the time (Matts125).

Havn't decided on which bulbs for the t-5 any suggestion would be appreciated
I like the geissman actinic+ T-5 bulbs. A nice baby blue. Although, I only use mine two hours a dayfor mood lighting along side of my VHO actinics.

That all I have to offer as of now. It looks like you have a great support group to help out with your build. Hurry and get some pics up for us.:D

Yes sir we have some great friends on here that is always will g to help. I can't thank those that helped me through this journey enough. I've been collecting all my equipment for a couple years for a system of this size. I would be lost on this project without the support and help from the great people on RF.

Thanks, Sarang

man i can't wait to get that tank up and running. anytime you need help. give me a call. man i would have to say that the tank move went very smooth. only broke one arm off of your sps. nice.

It's about time you put together the "big" tank. just kidding man. Can't wait to see pics of this beast. This is going to be a great tank. Keep us posted

Heating and Cooling- I will use 2 500w titanium heaters with ranco controllers and for my chiller I have a 1/4hp right now but I know this will not cool a 400g+ system will need to upgrade when the time and dough permits. Any suggestions would be great!

Lots of well placed fans

Reactors- Any good reccomendation on a good kalk reactor?
Anything that uses a mechanical stirrer in lieu of a pump

You might look into the AC3 or Pro, not that much more and they can do much more

Absolutely external, stronger and cooler to run

Congrads on the new toy!

roscoe;440176. For a calcium reatcor I am looking at getting the Geo 624 or 824 and also too I would like to run a kalk reactor alongside the calcium reactor. Any good reccomendation on a good kalk reactor?[/QUOTE said:
Hey Sarang,

I would love to build your reactors for you, shoot me a pm for ideas and prices, I will hook you up..

Matt

Back