saltwater holding for weekly changes

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Will

When I went to do my weekly water change the water felt slimy so I tested ammonia was 0.25 how is that possible. Did the water in holding start to cycle in none week

Last edited:
Is this Freshly made saltwater for your water change? Was it being agitated before your change, or did it just sit for a while?

Give us as much information and that will help us help you..:)

sounds like it went stagnet and algea bloom u have pump and o2 being pumped while it sits?

every Sunday I do a 20 gallon water change keep salt at 1.025 so there are approx 12 gallons left in holding I refill on sunday eve from a rodi drip then water sits for one week with airstone running

is it coverd? what color is the barrel? can light penitrate or under light?

Will, maybe you should try to add more flow to keep your water moving a bit more in holding! I think that's what I would try to do first!

I am new to this holding tank jumped from 75 fal to 180 reef setup 2 mos ago

Black barrel stays with lid on it, I just realized I use the same pump to drain from display and also fill bucket to refill display . Is this enough to cross contaminate barrell

i would sterilize everything with bleach and start over cant ever be to carefull.

I keep water in barrel at room temp while sitting about 72 f . in laundry room Keep display at 77.5f

I will let others answer if it is enough because I don't use a pump with my water changes. I just syphen out my water and refill by hand with a good old fashion 5 gallon bucket. I'm sure I could make it more efficient, but only doing about 25 gallons a month it's not that bad.

Please let us more of what you are doing. What salt brand are you using?

Is the makeup water the same temp as the tank water?

Is this why I cant get nitrates under 10 ppm 180 marineland extra deep 2 times appollo 6 led 300 watt

Sorry not very polished at this thread deal yet but I appreciate all help, I use regular instant ocean

i just rememberd i had this problem with one of my resiviors for hydroponics. i found out was because the carbon filter on ther ro unit was shot. iv been told bad carbon is way worse than running no carbon.words of wisdom.

Back