saltwater holding for weekly changes

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Wow, thats quite a heavy bio load for a young tank. I would do BIG way changes and test very regularly. Remember it is very important to match the display on salinity and temp!!

So what I am hearing is sterilize holding cont. Keep holding water at same as main and do massive water change and see what nitrates are at. Should I use seperate pumps and lines in main tank when doing any water contact between the holding and the main

Bioload depends on how much rock you have to handle it. If you only have 75 lbs of rock in the 180 gal tank, your biofiltration is not going to be able to keep up.
Yes, you want to raise your calc and alk if your planning on keeping coral. you want your calc around 420 and alk around 9-11dkh I would check your saltmix to see what the calc & alk levels are from fresh made water.
If I understand correctly, you had an established FOWLR tank and moved it into the larger tank and are planning to do reef.
Your bioload may be some what stressed from the larger water volume causing the higher nitrates.

As far as your storage water, your saying your getting ammonia readings from it.
It is possible that there was detritus or something in the pump that you used that contaminated your fresh saltwater mix.

I can tell you what I do for storage of my fresh saltwater. I also use a dark colored 32 gal brute with lid. I do not seal the lid however. It is always open just a bit. I have a pump with hose in the container that is set on a timer that circulates the water twice a day for about an hour and a half each time. I also have a heater in the container that keeps the water at and a tem approx to the temp of my tanks. Give or take a degree.
I also use RO/DI water and it is check with a TDS meter.

Also, it is my understanding that all saltwater mixes will have a trace of ammonia. Your biofiltration will take care of it if it is well established.

I had a higher end salt mix registered an extreemly high ammonia level, between .5 & 1.0 ppm, freshly mixed and I ended up tossing the entire batch. About 100$ worth of salt.

As far as your nitrate levels, you should have a trace of nitrates. Average 2-5 ppm is not unusual. 20 + is getting to high, I would do a water change. Test your fresh made saltwater for all parameters too.

Last edited:
alk should be between 7 and 14. and 1 fish on a baby tank. new. is a big load, id ad 1 fish every 2 weeks and thats pushin it a lil for my comfort.

Last edited:
thanks for the help Shane ,John and Senji, Have to get some rack time. Will keep posted on nitrates and water container health

Have 145 lbs liverock and 70 lbs of lace rock alive yet? When i said alk at 3.5 that was mql Would be 7 dkh I think

7is still on the lower end of the spectrum Will.. I shoot for 9.5 in my tank. Others may aim a bit higher or lower but that's what works for me.

I had this happen as well. I left the extra water in the mixing tank and just added more to make the next batch. The remaining water grew a bit of algea and when it died it caused a cycle to begin.

I drained it cleaned it well with vinager. I still make water the same way now but added a small power head to the mixing tank and have yet to have the problem again ( knock on wood ).

Congrads on the 180 upgrade. I have a 125, the baby sister of yours and love the dimmentions. It is great for tangs :)

Edit, sorry getting used to this forum still. I just read the first page and then responded. My comments are only about the mixing tank. Looks like your getting some good advice here. Gotta love a good online forum.

Last edited:
Back