Sand depth? Fuge? How much L. rock? Filters? Reactors?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

the6goat6man6

I am fairly new, about 10 months. Started out on the wrong foot, no thanks to the LFS or PET store. We were sold equipment not needed or not what was needed. Miss informed on set up and so forth. I bought it for my wife, who "researched it her self and was sure she could handle it!"! Well, I am most at fault for buying everything without doing my on research first. To make a longer story short, she added live stock too soon, it became too much for her and pretty much turned her back on it. I couldn't, so through all the ridicule i did my own research (crash course internet style, though not the best). Did what i thought was best, got ride of alot of stuff, bought some new equipment and got better results, not to my standards(bit of a perfectionist).
I and wondering if what I did is right?
40 gal display
mixed deep sand bed about 7 inches
aprox 50-60lbs L rock
wave maker
2-hydor pumps
1-power head behind rocks
6 t-5 current light fixture 108w
3-10000k-8hours
3-460 actinics-6hours
Over flow to fuge
Fuge-20 gal
6 in crushed coral with phlenumn
approx 40lbs l rock
Grape macro algea, i harvest once a month
1-power head with back flow to input
1-18w 10000k t-8
1-18w 8000kt-8
Overflow to skimmer to sump
20 gal sump with main pump
JBJ heater and controller

I am considering up grading to a 150gal tall with a few months please help i am confused!

Hey Welcome aboard Goat!!

It doesnt sound like a bad set up at all. If it were me I would make two changes though. First get rid of the grape algae, its a braodcaster and can very easily migrate to you main and become a pest that is hard to get rid of. When you remove it do it carefully so as not to break the grapes. You can replace it with a more safe algae type.
the second is the plenum, its going to work against your sand bed in the main display tank, but the main reason is the shells that you used. All DSB and plenums operate by creating a anerobic zone (devoid of oxygen) this will lower the PH in that area causeing the media to melt. In the case of the DSB you going to get some calcium and carbonate which is good but your also going to get some Phosphate which is not so good, but it souldnt be to much of an issue when its so new. The plenum however you have shells, when critters make these shells for themselves they bind up a whole bunch of phosphate and similar to make them. It they begin to melt, then your going to get Phospahte leachig into the tank and that is algaes calling card.

Put up some pics so we can see this mater peice

Mojo

as mojo said, i would ditch the plenum, and just do live rock/macroalgae refugium,
a protein skimmer, and a small media reactor with carbon in the sump.

also, since you have 7" of sand in the main display, i would only use powerheads that have magnets instead of normal suction cups that fail.
but it sounds like you have to hydor koralia powerheads on a wavemaker... so perfect..
if i had a dollar for every time someone with a DSB had it foul the tank because a powerhead fell off and blew up sand from the bottom...

Welcome to RF!! :D. I agree with Mike! Sounds like a pretty decent setup! I also agree on the grape algae and the plenum. Might save you a bit of headache down the road. With that said you are in a great place full of experienced reefers who are very helpful so not to worry...Just ask whatever questions you have. I think a forum atmosphere is the best thing for anyone getting into the hobby as you get tons of feedback with one on one help which IMO is better than any article on the net can provide. Looking forward to seeing some pictures and I hope you enjoy your time here :)

great what algae do you recamend? i had a clump of chaeto and it dissapeared! i plan to up grade soon, i can make all these changes then. I am adding an addition to my house with a room and a 150gal tank in the wall!

Chaeto seems to be one of the popular algae's out there to use. The lighting you used may have played a role in how well it worked or should I say didn't work for you. I'd do a search on it here or maybe someone might chime in here on it as I've personally never used the stuff. I have read though as suggested by Anthony Calfo that you want a ball of it tumbling in your sump for if to be most effective (probably due to the fact that all of it will be continuously exposed to light) but couldn't say for sure. Many people do things differently here and get the same results so keep that mind. I don't use sand nor do I use a fuge with a macro algae in it but still was able to keep my nitrates down to zero so as mentioned, many ways to skin a cat in this hobby as well as the saying goes, "what works for me might not work for you". :)

welocome to RF. Sounds pretty good. You have a protein skimmer in that setup? Didn't see it in the list, but might have missed it.

Never had a DSB, but be careful about getting it destroyed like said above.

I have grape caulerpa and it seems fine. Grows really fast, so good for export. I haven't had a problem with it getting into my main tank, but if it did, I think it would just become fish food for my rabbitfish.

Have had it try to go sexual though, so I keep it under 24H lighting to stop that.

Have had it try to go sexual though, so I keep it under 24H lighting to stop that.

So if it goes "sexual" when it loses light does this mean that everyone who uses grape caulerpa have some form up back-up power in the event of a power outtage or do they just gamble on it?? :)

Nothing that happens instantly. When mine started to go sexual, there qas a morphology change in the 'grapes' that took place over a couple weeks. I noticed it, switched to 24H lighting, and the grapes changed back before any discharge into the water occured.

The grapes went from round balls to flattened disks. I'm assuming this was a sexual change, but forgive me if I misinterpreted. Anyway, 24H light made them go back to their normal morphology

Yes i have a skimmer, coral life super skimmer with neddle wheel, seems to work pretty good. i was told that when the grapes go "sexual" it just discolors your water!?
welocome to RF. Sounds pretty good. You have a protein skimmer in that setup? Didn't see it in the list, but might have missed it.

Never had a DSB, but be careful about getting it destroyed like said above.

I have grape caulerpa and it seems fine. Grows really fast, so good for export. I haven't had a problem with it getting into my main tank, but if it did, I think it would just become fish food for my rabbitfish.

Grape algae is Caulerpa racemosa (fun fact: they are the largest single celled organism in the world). Are they great at absorbing nutrients > yes outstanding!! Are they less sacary then most Calurpas > yes. In saying that though they are a calurpa and operated using holdfasts (little strands that attach themselves to anything and everything) so once established they can be a bear to remove. The Grape like portions of them are where they keep their seeds so when they break or are flattened they release their spore and the spore will drift where ever with the water flow. Aslo you should be careful when harvesting not only to not break these bubbles, but to also not break the interconnecting strands as that can result in what is called "Severed section Disintegrating Syndrome" which could make the plant begin to melt away.

So I am not saying its the great Satan or anything and yes it is great at absorbing nutrients and thus exporting, But everyone should know the goods and the bads, that way they can keep an eye out for it.

hope it helps

Mojo

when you say Interconecting, do you mean the steams that cross and grew together? should i cut just below cross? should i just trie to remove it all, if so what should i use? I tried cheata but it just disappeared.
Grape algae is Caulerpa racemosa (fun fact: they are the largest single celled organism in the world). Are they great at absorbing nutrients > yes outstanding!! Are they less sacary then most Calurpas > yes. In saying that though they are a calurpa and operated using holdfasts (little strands that attach themselves to anything and everything) so once established they can be a bear to remove. The Grape like portions of them are where they keep their seeds so when they break or are flattened they release their spore and the spore will drift where ever with the water flow. Aslo you should be careful when harvesting not only to not break these bubbles, but to also not break the interconnecting strands as that can result in what is called "Severed section Disintegrating Syndrome" which could make the plant begin to melt away.

So I am not saying its the great Satan or anything and yes it is great at absorbing nutrients and thus exporting, But everyone should know the goods and the bads, that way they can keep an eye out for it.

hope it helps

Mojo

Now i'm wondering if i should revamp my fuge? Should i get ride of the grapes aand the crushed coral? That probably means the L.rock in there also?

Now i'm wondering if i should revamp my fuge? Should i get ride of the grapes aand the crushed coral? That probably means the L.rock in there also?

Well, that is totally up to you. Many ways to go about things in this hobby so do what suits you best. I personally don't like any sand, rock etc in my sump. What's usually in the tank is more than sufficient IMO. The more stuff you have in there, possibly the more care and maintenance your sump will need so keep that in mind. :)

Goatman the plenum is not a bad idea but with a 7inch bed in the main tank its really not required. The use of the shells and stuff to build it is also not the best idea but its not going to be the end of the world either. The grape algae is not the best but its also not the worst (other species of calurpa are) .

So overall I dont see anything that you have done really bad or that needs immediate action. I can give you opinions all day long but I perfer to let you know the pros and cons of each of the things you have going on their. From that point it going to be on you to decide what you figure is the best coarse of action.

and by listening to your last post I think you got a plan :rockon:

Mike

Oh one last thing of the refugium, remeber its a refuge for little critter and their larvae, so when you set one up you are going to looking to create that kind of enviroment. So LR is not really required but would be ok (like a few 2-3 inch rocks) some algae and then a thin 1 inch layer of sand or more if you wish. Those things would create loots of hidding spots and places for larva to grow out and so on.

Mojo

its good to know i haven't done anything to be too worried about. I do plan to set up my 150gal tall. So i will take all this into consideration when setting it up.

If i am relying on the DSB for filtration, how much should i have in the display? and very little in the fuge, about 1-1.5in? And about 1 lbs./gal Live rock? I am still unsure about flow, I read that total flow includes all pumps for movement too (main pump+hydors=total flow?). I was also told flow should be 10x? Then i was told not?

I'm not sure my exact flow-i use 2 koralia nano 240gph (switching back and forth)
1 power head 106gph behind rocks (switching)
1 external overflow 600gph max (valved down abit)

Back