Sand Filter

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

sry, missunderstood when you said you agreed with the information thus far "to a point". I always love to hear peoples theory behind thier methods and thought I may have been missing something.

Oh i have them:) and you will get to hear some over time.lol

Hey 360,

I don't use a silica sand (which is used because of it size, and slower disintegration factor). I use a marine oolitic sand and use a 3 to 1 mix of sand and crush gravel, untill reactor is 1/3 full. The gravel goes on bottom with sand above allowing for higher flow thru reactor. With right pump your sand bed chamber should be 2/3 full with the top 1/3 clear +- This is kinda a base line you will have to fine tune with a gate valve.

Best of Luck!

I said in my other post you need ATS i ment "OR" keep us posted:)

The op is looking to create a denifrication chamber with this "sand filter". Just sayin this thread went in sideways direction ( as most do lol). anyone thus far have any ideas how he could use the very nice chamber he has to achieve his goal? I'm not up on the subject enough to comment much because my goal is to understock to avoid all those headaches....except to say that anaerobic bacteria need just that, no oxygen. so how does he acheive that in the chamber besides low flow?

There is several kinds of denitrator's on line from coil to bio balls with youtube videos also. He has been given some good input so not sure what you mean by sideway's? Find one he would like to try and scale up to match his reactor size:) He does not have enough surface area per depth of sand with his chamber so doing a DSB DENITRATOR that way may/won't work. I have used coil denitrator in the past and they work well once established.

Back