sea clone protein skimmer 100 leak

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

simon_leta

my skimmer has developed a steady drip at the "J" tube O ring at the lower coupling lock. I've taken it apart and reinstalled and still dripping steadily. Is there anything else I should do, or is it time to buy a new one. My reef tank is a 30 tall, 1 year old, and skimmer purchased new.
Thanks

Simon, These Are Quite Possibly The Worst Skimmers Ever!!! For A 30 Gallon
Tank, I Would Go With A Red Sea Prizm. They're Not The Best Hang On Skimmers, But They Work Fairly Well For Tanks 40 And Under. If You Really Want Efficiency, Look Into An Aqua C Remora, Considered By Many To Be The
Most Effective Hang-on Model Skimmers Available!!!

If the O ring is just not sealing try a thin coat of silicone grease. It should seal it right up.

I am testing one right now on a 40 gal breeder. I've only been running it about a week so far. I think it may have the same problems as the RS Prizm (I have tested that one already), in that the air water adjustment has to adjusted often and tank water level has a large impact on the pump flow rate. The Prizm drove me nuts and I was only a few feet away all day to play with it. Time will tell with this one :)

HTH,
Kevin

:|
kevinpo said:
If the O ring is just not sealing try a thin coat of silicone grease. It should seal it right up.

I am testing one right now on a 40 gal breeder. I've only been running it about a week so far. I think it may have the same problems as the RS Prizm (I have tested that one already), in that the air water adjustment has to adjusted often and tank water level has a large impact on the pump flow rate. The Prizm drove me nuts and I was only a few feet away all day to play with it. Time will tell with this one :)

HTH,
Kevin
I my self think/relize that it's ineficient too... have one now on my 55 reef about 2 years.... and so the same problem.... " I use TEFLON TAPE
".... it works....! just put about Two Turns of tape around the O-Ring area and assemble the tubing to the skimmer.... and the teflon tape last a couple of times when i breakdown n reassemble the skimmer.... i my self am looking to UP_GRADE this skimmer..... cw.

I work on a lot of these skimmers and I have had very much the same problem with them on more than one occasion. I have gone as far as gluing the two pieces together. I Think that they are better than the RS skimmers though. I don't have to adjust the seaclone all day long!

Back