Setting up my 75

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Willy

After Talking about this for a while I have begun to get this bad boy going. Last Saturday I received my glass hole saws that I bought from THIS company. After payment was received they took under a week to get here. And yes, they came from Hong Kong. The following pictures show the finished holes. I decided to cut back on the number of holes in the back do to bein skeered. I used a scrap piece of glass and cut a hole in it to use as a guide on the tank to keep the bits from jumping around. After scoring the hole on the tank, I then made a damn around the hole by siliconing a 2" bulhead nut to the tank. This allowed me to fill the damn with water and keep the bits wet as I drilled. It didnt take very long to drill the holes, maybe 20 minutes a piece. I kept the drill speed slow and used very little pressure. After cutting all the holes I then sanded each hole with 180 grit sandpaper. This rounded the edges and got rid of any sharp corners/edges.

DSCF0551.jpg

DSCF0548a.jpg

DSCF0548.jpg

DSCF0557.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure why the second pic is so big.....Anyway, I have started plumbing the closed loop and will put some pics up tomorrow. I will be stopping by Premium Aquatics on Saturday to pick up my Sequence Dart and some other stuff. I will also be picking up my new lighting setup that Im buying from a fellow reefer. The lights will be Sunlight Supply Dual RO III 250W Phoenix 14K. Those will go in my soon to be built canopy.
I'll get more pics added tomorrow as I progress with the plumbing..

Here's a before pic of my tank
DSCF0452.jpg

Good job Scott!!! I think you made a good choice in only drilling 3 holes.

Can't wait to see this tank come together. Let me know when we're having a tear down/set-up party at your house!

As promised heres what was accomplished tonight. Tomorrow I'll get the pump plumbed and all should be good.

plumbing.jpg

are those 4x65 watt pc's? how often do you feed that anemone? i'm hoping to get one and i have the same lights (if yours are 4x65watt pcs)

Holy cow! Nice job Scott! Can't wait to get water in that puppy!

MarineTeng said:
are those 4x65 watt pc's? how often do you feed that anemone? i'm hoping to get one and i have the same lights (if yours are 4x65watt pcs)

Yep thats a 4x65w fixture. Actually there are 2 RBTA's now. I dont feed them very often once a week maybe...

Thanks for all the compliments.

The closed loop is finished. I still have the sump return to add in that mess but it should be no problem. I'll do that the day i transfer it all over.

Dont knock the pseudo pump stand. I'll make a little 2x4 platform for it to be bolted to.

DSCF0566.jpg

and a peek inside to give an idea of what the returns will do. I may take off the Y's on the side returns. Not sure tho, i'll have to see what it does with water in it...Yes, the tank is sitting on my dresser..lol apartment living at its finest...

DSCF0568.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good, Scott!

We might have to play with the front outputs a bit. Locline isn't water tight, so sometimes when it isn't submerged it creates microbubbles, but we'll have to see.

i was just wondering if they sell those glass cutting bits @ any hardware store or any company that deal with glass?

tony2005 said:
i was just wondering if they sell those glass cutting bits @ any hardware store or any company that deal with glass?

Im sure you can buy them there, but I know the glass shop prices will be high. The bits i got on ebay were cheap but they worked just fine.

NaH2O said:
Looks good, Scott!

We might have to play with the front outputs a bit. Locline isn't water tight, so sometimes when it isn't submerged it creates microbubbles, but we'll have to see.

No worries the front outputs are there for show...LOL...they arent even glued up yet, so changing them will be no sweat.

I just finished a quick fresh water test.... All I can say is WOW !!! WOW!! WOW!! With all the valves wide open they all have great flow. Picked up my Dual 250 DE's yesterday. Time to get the canopy built and get this baby filled with saltwater and corals!!

Back