Show me your full tank shots

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Hey Wright.... whats the problem with Sony.... its a decent camera from my experience... is it the blue effect?....

Its the lighting maybe.... on my 20k its impossible to take decent pics... so I usually put back my 10k bulb just for shooting... and then put back again the 20ks...

Oldsaint... with that sophisticated camera you have... it will be no problem to add external flashes like albert has...

You have the shoe to attacg remote flash... anything is possible... maybe buy those wireless ones that sync with your camera.... I love 8700's

cp8700.jpg

Well I have 14000K and it wont take any pic that is not just crazy blue, no matter how I adjust the light input on the camera, and it will not take any close pics at all. Nothing is wrong with Sony, I love Sony. I just did not buy the camera I need to do what I want. I have the dsc-p93 5.1 mega but it just doesnt do what I want. My fault not sonys at all. Steve

wrightme43 said:
Oh Yeah. If you want to take good pictures of your fish tank. Dont go buy the sony cybershot. Its great for most other stuff, but just awfull at what I am trying to do with it. Wish I had a coolpix.
Actually I have Sony F828 Cybershot :D

The problem with such a sophisticated camera might be you'll never learn/use all the fine features it has. :badgrin: I ordered that camera before it came officially on the market in the beginning of last year and still I'm using very limited set of functions. Most pictures, except with external flashes, could be taken well using auto mode. No serious problems with white balance, but all my pictures are corrected with Photoshop though.

Ok LOL Let me quantify my statement. Do not buy the dsc-p93 sony cybershot. It does not have all the cool features. Nor will it take any kind of close up pictures in focus, or at least mine wont. And it has broken twice in less than a year. Let me say again. I love sony, I have all kinds of sony stuff. I just love it. This camera is wonderful for taking pictures of people, places and things other than my reeftank. Not Sony's fault, my fault for buying less camera than I needed.
albert said:
Actually I have Sony F828 Cybershot :D

The problem with such a sophisticated camera might be you'll never learn/use all the fine features it has. :badgrin: I ordered that camera before it came officially on the market in the beginning of last year and still I'm using very limited set of functions. Most pictures, except with external flashes, could be taken well using auto mode. No serious problems with white balance, but all my pictures are corrected with Photoshop though.

Not to mention the nice rose anemone ;) !!

Very nice photos!

Then again.....we lost another one on the DSB.....so long Steve!!! j/k j/k

- Ilham

Katchupoy said:
Its the lighting maybe.... on my 20k its impossible to take decent pics... so I usually put back my 10k bulb just for shooting... and then put back again the 20ks...
Yes, the excessive blue tint of high K MH bulbs may totally mess camera white balance settings. That's why usually color balance needs some corrections afterwards during photo editing. In some cases UV filters may be useful, at least I find out that finding right color balance would be easier.

Another story is when blue lights are used intentionally. Sometimes you may get stunning results. :cool:
Below are two copies of the same photo of green Montipora digitata taken with only blue actinics on. The first picture is the original and the second one after some processing. BTW, the digi's color on the second picture is very close to that how it really looks like under actinics.

041106-001-orig.jpg
041106-001-2.jpg

And here's the same colony six months later. ;)

dsc03076.jpg

Last edited:
Katchupoy,

Just 2 250w Iwasaki 6500k, 2 110w uri attinic vhos. I have always like the look of this combo.

Ken

wow kensn, doesn't even look that yellow. Not nearly as yellow as I expected from the 6500 bulb.

Albert, love the monti. I have some salmon, tan and orange colonies, but that green is stunning. Estonia is just around the corner from seattle right? Would love a frag. I could pretty much walk don't you think?

Mat

bc_slc said:
Estonia is just around the corner from seattle right? Would love a frag. I could pretty much walk don't you think?

Mat
Sure, why not!

map.jpg

Last edited:
The 6500k's are quite yellow with out the attinic, but I like the increased par, and with the attinics I relly enjoy the combined spectrum. Also enjoy the look of just the attinic at night.

Ken

Back