Show your "befores" and "afters"

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

well i heard its good coral coral and limesand is crushed lime stone which was coral so a more natural cycle the people i have talked about it to a freshwater lfs owner he told me himand his mates all used it and he didnt add any calcium nor did he or anyothers use calc reactors or anything there not cheap at all so not using one or having to spend $50 on a bottle of calcium would be good anyway just here to post new tank shots and some new zoo frag from my mian tank
later morgs

I've read of people making their own calcium with some products from the store and it suppose to be just as good as any additive.

Morgan, your sandbed won't be a source fo calcium for your tank, nor is it for those other tanks. Limesand, or crushed coral, is well suited for the biological needs of a sandbed, so don't think you made a mistake. I use a mix of crushed coral and sand myself. However, lime sand is basically just crushed live rock, which is limestone. Obviously, your rock isn't a source for calcium, nor will your sandbed be.

Calcium will break down, even your rocks, but it takes a pH of something like 7.2 or lower. This is how a calcium reactor works, by lowering pH in a separate chamber to break down the crushed coral that's in there. As the lower pH water from the calcium reactor flows through the media, it picks up calcium and other elements, and begins to raise its pH back up because of the new elements. This brings the pH back closer to an acceptable level as the newly calcium saturated water enters back into your tank.

newst picks of my tank added a real nice sand bed local beach sand couldnt be happyer bout the price

My Reef

Hello all :) Here's a few of my tank and out "growing" process, started as a 55g with PC lighting and a trickle filter, in 01-2001, now I have a 180 set up, since 07-05, all the stuff from the 55 moved in.

Patrick

Wow...That's really nice! Are you still using that trickle filter? I love how your light rays penetrate the water in the 180. Looks really natural...Thanks for sharing...It's a really nice setup:)

Nice tank pk1...I see you are from lombard ill.......Go Bears Right!!!!!!!:lol:...Welcome to RF:D

PK can you post all the specs on your tank. I am just starting my 180 and yours looks awesome.:) I want to pilfer some ideas!;)

Thanks for the welcome Dabears26, and ya I'm a big fan. Painful year...all that build up, and we got our butt's handed to us by a team we pummeled a few weeks prior. Bad game plan. OK I'll stop now.
Andrew, thanks. As for specs what would you like to know? Have you bought a tank yet? Planed for your sump/closed loop/lighting yet? Maybe you can start a new thread and we could start there :) Hey wait a sec, you live in the Bahamas?? NO FAIR. Nevermind you don't need a tank ;)

Patrick

ROFL! I thought I'd look back on this thread and see what I "thought" was the final setup for me and how I've changed up things so much since February (when I about started this thread) and now, how I will be changing up again to yet another entirely new setup. I guess we all have to face it at some point that we will never be finished or have our last tank:p

Sherman said:
October 2004. 384w PC lighting
2months.jpg

February 2006. 300w MH, 96w PC lighting
fulltank_020506.jpg

And another 3 months later, a couple more improvements.

fulltank_052706.jpg

And a lot of growth Sherman!!! Be proud :)

Oh...and that's a nice A. melanopus pair.

Best,
Ilham

Ha! And you think they're paired! If so, it's one nasty abusive situation. The female bullies that little male around all the time, and they never sleep in the same host. Ever.

BTW, that larger one is my avatar.

Back