Show your filtration Systems

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Thanks,

I'm going to hit it with Kilz tomorrow morning, right after I bleach the walls. I have to do this every so often until I find a way to vent that closet.

Gday old salt
with that mold, try placing a small fan in there
air movement just might do the trick

Good idea,

In fact, I'm gonna head over to Dummy Depot tomorrow and see if I can also get a vent screen to put in the door to allow the fan to blow moisture out.

here the new 180!

DSC00058.jpg

DSC00052.jpg

DSC00051.jpg

DSC00050.jpg

well heres my setup its very basic. i just added the skimmer yesterday, i had everything in the wet dry and it was puting massive amounts of bubbles in the tank, so i had to modify. hehe i added the hose and the can for the return pump to the tank and no bubbles. give me some feedback on this, would greatly be appriciated. i was going to add onto the bio filter part, but was kinda scared about having good seals on the sump add on.so decided to go another way.

Last edited:
Good idea,

In fact, I'm gonna head over to Dummy Depot tomorrow and see if I can also get a vent screen to put in the door to allow the fan to blow moisture out.

I have the same problem and am looking to install a bethroom type vent fan to move the moisture outside. I was talking to someone at the LFS that has that type of fan hooked directly to his tank hood. He has large tanks, like 400g. Lots of evaporation = moisture. I thought it sounded like a good solution.

well heres my setup its very basic. i just added the skimmer yesterday, i had everything in the wet dry and it was puting massive amounts of bubbles in the tank, so i had to modify. hehe i added the hose and the can for the return pump to the tank and no bubbles. give me some feedback on this, would greatly be appriciated. i was going to add onto the bio filter part, but was kinda scared about having good seals on the sump add on.so decided to go another way.

[/URL][/QUOTE]

Wow!!! that outlet just gave me the hebe jebe's :eek: ... I had one look like that and I could not sleep for a week until it was fixed... Otherwise nice setup.

hehe reefbound i had the same feeling last night every 5 minutes with a flashlight check for leaks, but so far so good. im going to build a larger sump and fill it with water for a week or so make sure it doesnt leak before setting it up with the fish tank to replace all this. just scared of leakes makin my own.

There's some DIY!!:D What kind of tank setup do you have in terms of livestock??? The reason I ask is because usually everyone ditches the bio-balls because they are nitrate factories and we all know most all corals can't tolerate high levels of nitrates and it also fuels nuicance algae to grow...:)

hehe reefbound i had the same feeling last night every 5 minutes with a flashlight check for leaks, but so far so good. im going to build a larger sump and fill it with water for a week or so make sure it doesnt leak before setting it up with the fish tank to replace all this. just scared of leakes makin my own.

If you look at your picture the wall looks charred. Black soot from the outlet burning, shorting out.

There's some DIY!!:D What kind of tank setup do you have in terms of livestock??? The reason I ask is because usually everyone ditches the bio-balls because they are nitrate factories and we all know most all corals can't tolerate high levels of nitrates and it also fuels nuicance algae to grow...:)

krish im starting to think that is part of my problem with the algea bloom, but havnt had a problem untill the last month or so, and tank has been up for almost 3 and a half years. we have a 75 gal tank, with live rock, polyps, green sea stars, several types of mushrooms, zooanthids. and just a hand full of fish. sailfin tang, firefish, 2 clowns, 4 green cromis, mandiran, and a lawnmower blenny. so in your opinion just take out the bio balls from the filter? sorry its gettin kinda off topic if you want i can start another thread, heres so pics of the tank and the algea

Last edited:
Yeah, the end product of any wet/dry is nothing but nitrates as a wet/dry has no anaerobic zones for the necessary bacteria to grow to perform denitrification which is the process that turns nitrates into nitrogen gas so you end up with an accumilation of nitrates over time. I had to remove my bio-balls for the same reason, but it has to be done over a period of time and not all at once. Your tank may rely heavily on the bio balls for aerobic bacteria so you will need to remove them slowly giving your rock sufficient time to catch up and take over the role completely:)

Anybody on a budget and with space restrictions?

Side sump, for example - simple glass tank, rubbermaid container for a skimmer (contains incoming dirty water), re-routing the clean water outside this container to the return pump. Micron sock for incoming water, when necessary.
Or a natural or alternative (on a budget :D ) filtration for a messy eaters, heavy bioload.

krish im starting to think that is part of my problem with the algea bloom, but havnt had a problem untill the last month or so, and tank has been up for almost 3 and a half years. we have a 75 gal tank, with live rock, polyps, green sea stars, several types of mushrooms, zooanthids. and just a hand full of fish. sailfin tang, firefish, 2 clowns, 4 green cromis, mandiran, and a lawnmower blenny. so in your opinion just take out the bio balls from the filter? sorry its gettin kinda off topic if you want i can start another thread, heres so pics of the tank and the algea

omg!!! is that caulerpa??? !!! :eek: ... that thing used to be my worst nightmare :eek: :eek: ... that #$#@%^#5 is horrible ... it takes over.
I'd say get rid of it but if you like it ... i hope it never takes over.

I had bioballs at some point when my tank was a couple months old but then i just switch it to 10 gal tank/sump :p:D.
also how much are you feeding your fishes? check where your phosphates are at?

omg!!! is that caulerpa??? !!! :eek: ... that thing used to be my worst nightmare :eek: :eek: ... that #$#@%^#5 is horrible ... it takes over.
I'd say get rid of it but if you like it ... i hope it never takes over.

I had bioballs at some point when my tank was a couple months old but then i just switch it to 10 gal tank/sump :p:D.
also how much are you feeding your fishes? check where your phosphates are at?

i think that is caulerpa, but we weed it back once in a while, whats my problem is the bubble algae. we feed maybe once a day. 10 fish, all reef safe. our tests all come out fine, we even have taken it to a LFS, and everything was fine. they said nitrates were a little high but nothing to worry about. and we just installed a new skimmer hoping that will help with the new algae bloom. we had no problems untill a couple months ago.

Back